News Big changes coming to EPCOT's Future World?

Disneylover152

I'm honestly surprised, I was expecting a lot worse with the IP tie-ins. This Moana walkthrough experience, from the sounds of it, sounds very minimalistic. At first when I saw Moana was coming to Epcot, my mind immediately drew to an overlay of Living with the Land (random, i know) but it was the only ride that's not a popular E-ticket in Epcot that doesn't have a IP yet and it could fit to an extent (extent of a Frozen ride being in Norway). This garden sounds like a really interesting. Although, it does make me sad that Disney doesn't see a simple walkthrough garden as being worth their investment without a property tie-in. :(

I also don't mind Future World changing to this World Nature/Celebration/Discovery concept. I really liked the idea of Future World, but it obviously wasn't working out since Disney didn't constantly change it. This new take sounds like the entire park is going to be a celebration of the world and human achievements just without the future aspect. It makes me a little sad that the future aspect of the park will disappear but at least they are taking the steps to have the park take a new direction theme wise rather than them adding IPs to the park and pretending like they fit the theme. The only change I still don't understand is Guardians in Epcot, but we don't know the story of the ride yet so it's possible it could fit this new direction.

One thing that surprises me, especially with Chapek in charge, is that Epcot still doesn't have a "Main Street". And I don't mean a street specifically, but a pathway with a collection of restaurants and shops. It makes more sense to me to keep the northern part of Innoventions West & East and have this act as the Main Street rather than just keeping Innoventions East (which I feel like is going to be more confusing for guest flow).

I know we know very little about this project, but this makes me excited for the future of Epcot. I see a lot of throwbacks back to the OG park with a modernized flare.

TP2000

@marni1971, @TP2000,

If you could clarify... I've heard the new festival center was "three stories," which, if you count the rooftop, means that there are four levels (ground, first, second, roof); but, I've also heard "two levels," which means if you count the roof top then it's only one story.

The artwork looks like it's two stories with three levels (counting the rooftop).

So... could you please clarify if you can? Thanks.

By this time tomorrow we should have all the underwhelming details on Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda.

When I replied to @MansionButler84 I was only going off a quick viewing of this video from a couple days ago, that's apparently playing publicly in the WDI pavilion in the Anaheim Convention Center, right at this jump point...

And from that 40 seconds of video, it's easy to see that Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda has the following;

Ground Floor - A large sheltered space under the canopy, with no real theme but can be turned into space for booths, bars, bandstands, or whatever the client or Epcot event wants and needs. A large core building in the center must have elevators for ADA compliance and also supports the structure, but would also have mechanical and catering facilities. You can see that escalators go up to the second floor.

Second Floor - An indoor climate controlled space that is as nondescript as the ground floor. It likely has AV and data infrastructure like any modern hotel conference center, plus basic catering facilities and a large unobstructed space for booths, displays, parties, or whatever the client or Epcot event wants and needs.

Rooftop Garden - An outdoor space that is at least more novel and attractive looking than the lower parts of the building. It has terraces and patio spaces for parties and upcharge viewing of the Laser Water Show! on the lagoon, and is yet another flex space for whatever the client or event wants and needs.

Of course, these are all just educated guesses from me after seeing 40 seconds of a vague sizzle reel video. I could be completely wrong and this is actually some bizarre pre-show facility for an elaborate underground pavilion with a major E Ticket Attraction, Presented by Tesla.
But I don't think so. :D

I think that Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda is exactly what it appears to be; a multi-level flex space designed to be used for upcharge Epcot events much of the year, with the added ability to be rented out to external clients in whole or in part. You could even use the facility for multiple events simultaneously; a ground floor Marvel dance party for Epcot guests, a second floor corporate retreat for State Farm insurance agents at a mandatory team-building session, and a rooftop garden upcharge "Dessert Buffet!" viewing area for the nightly water show. All three of those events would never be in each other's way, and TDO would rake in extra cash from the second floor and rooftop garden. It will be infinitely more profitable than the Fountain of Nations ever was, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

I should mention that I think @marni1971 gets confused by the American use of the phrase "ground floor" and "second floor". In British-speak they would call that "ground floor" and "first floor". But that's the British, because aside from being a fabulous nation and society that nurtured democracy for centuries and spread basic human rights and justice around the world, the Brits use funny words for things.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
By this time tomorrow we should have all the underwhelming details on Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda.

When I replied to @MansionButler84 I was only going off a quick viewing of this video from a couple days ago, that's apparently playing publicly in the WDI pavilion in the Anaheim Convention Center, right at this jump point...

And from that video, and from other posters already calling it the "festival facility" or what have you, it's easy to see that Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda has the following;

Ground Floor - A large sheltered space under the canopy, with no real theme that can be turned into space for booths, bars, bandstands, or whatever the client or Epcot event wants and needs. A large core building in the center must have elevators for ADA compliance and also supports the structure, but would also have mechanical and catering facilities. Escalators go up to the second floor.

Second Floor - An indoor climate controlled space that is as nondescript as the ground floor. It likely has AV and data infrastructure like any modern hotel conference center, plus basic catering facilities and a large unobstructed space for booths, displays, parties, or whatever the client or Epcot event wants and needs.

Rooftop Garden - An outdoor space that is at least more novel and attractive looking than the lower parts of the building. It likely has terraces and patio spaces for parties and upcharge viewing of the Laser Water Show! on the lagoon, and is yet another flex space for whatever the client or event wants and needs.

Of course, this is all just educated guesses from me after seeing 20 seconds of a vague sizzle reel video. I could be completely wrong and this is actually some bizarre pre-show facility for an elaborate underground pavilion with a major E Ticket attraction Presented by Tesla. But I don't think so. :D

I think that Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda is exactly what it appears to be; a multi-level flex space designed to be used for upcharge Epcot events much of the year, with the added ability to be rented out to corporate clients in whole or in part. You could even use the facility for multiple things at once at the same time; a ground floor Marvel dance party for Epcot guests, a second floor corporate retreat for State Farm insurance agents at a mandatory team-building session, and a rooftop garden upcharge "Dessert Buffet!" viewing area for the nightly water show. All three of those events would never be in each other's way, and TDO would rake in extra cash from the second floor and rooftop garden.

I should also say that I think @marni1971 gets confused by the American use of the phrase "ground floor" and "second floor". In British-speak they would call that "ground floor" and "first floor". But that's the British, because aside from being a fabulous nation and society that nurtured democracy for centuries and spread basic human rights and justice around the world, the Brits use funny words for things.

Car Boot.

Progress.City

so here's my summary of the MASSIVE overhaul that's happening now/will happen:

What we know is changing already:
- Guardians of the Galaxy Ride
- Play pavilion where Wonders of Life used to be
- Demolishing of West Innoventions buildings that held Starbucks, Club Cool, the meet and greets and practically nothing else
- New water feature area themed to Moana
- New China film
- New Canada film
- New Space restaurant in the Mission:Space building
- New Entrance way that looks like the original and the original fountain back
- Updated restaurant where Electric Umbrella is now
- New elevated garden/park recreation space of some kind
- Ratatouille Ride in the France pavilion
- New Attraction Preview center in the Odyssey restaurant building

What we think they'll announce??
- Coco overlay in the Mexico pavilion
- New Brazil pavilion
- Update to the Imagination Pavilion (keeping Figment)
- Update to Spaceship Earth ride (maybe even adding lighting to the exterior)
- Update to the Living Seas (???)
- New attraction to the UK Pavilion (Alice in Wonderland?)

edit:

- Epcot Forever
- Epcot after Forever
Major announcements for new attractions are supposed to be on sunday... if a dream attraction for Imagination is announced...

trainplane3

Car Boot.
carboot.jpg

or
91ChbYG8%2BRL._SL1500_.jpg

?

(I know what you mean, just poking fun)

peng

I'm honestly surprised, I was expecting a lot worse with the IP tie-ins. This Moana walkthrough experience, from the sounds of it, sounds very minimalistic. At first when I saw Moana was coming to Epcot, my mind immediately drew to an overlay of Living with the Land (random, i know) but it was the only ride that's not a popular E-ticket in Epcot that doesn't have a IP yet and it could fit to an extent (extent of a Frozen ride being in Norway). This garden sounds like a really interesting. Although, it does make me sad that Disney doesn't see a simple walkthrough garden as being worth their investment without a property tie-in. :(

I also don't mind Future World changing to this World Nature/Celebration/Discovery concept. I really liked the idea of Future World, but it obviously wasn't working out since Disney didn't constantly change it. This new take sounds like the entire park is going to be a celebration of the world and human achievements just without the future aspect. It makes me a little sad that the future aspect of the park will disappear but at least they are taking the steps to have the park take a new direction theme wise rather than them adding IPs to the park and pretending like they fit the theme. The only change I still don't understand is Guardians in Epcot, but we don't know the story of the ride yet so it's possible it could fit this new direction.

One thing that surprises me, especially with Chapek in charge, is that Epcot still doesn't have a "Main Street". And I don't mean a street specifically, but a pathway with a collection of restaurants and shops. It makes more sense to me to keep the northern part of Innoventions West & East and have this act as the Main Street rather than just keeping Innoventions East (which I feel like is going to be more confusing for guest flow).

I know we know very little about this project, but this makes me excited for the future of Epcot. I see a lot of throwbacks back to the OG park with a modernized flare.
My thoughts exactly, most of the changes seem reasonable (save for Guardians). As one of the three people on here who doesn't mind the inclusion of IPs at EPCOT, this seems to be the best case scenario for the refurb. Old EPCOT has been dead for years and since the management isn't interested in reviving it, I was expecting something on the level of Toy Story Land and Pixar Pier, and what we have so far shows that most of the remaining non-IP based rides (except for possibly Imagination) will be saved in Future World and may see some upgrades. Also to the guy who claimed that Innoventions was old EPCOT, that isn't even close to it, even in it's heyday and I won't miss it a bit.

brb1006

And from that 40 seconds of video, it's easy to see that Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda has the following;

Ground Floor - A large sheltered space under the canopy, with no real theme but can be turned into space for booths, bars, bandstands, or whatever the client or Epcot event wants and needs. A large core building in the center must have elevators for ADA compliance and also supports the structure, but would also have mechanical and catering facilities. You can see that escalators go up to the second floor.

Rooftop Garden - An outdoor space that is at least more novel and attractive looking than the lower parts of the building. It has terraces and patio spaces for parties and upcharge viewing of the Laser Water Show! on the lagoon, and is yet another flex space for whatever the client or event wants and needs.

Of course, these are all just educated guesses from me after seeing 40 seconds of a vague sizzle reel video. I could be completely wrong and this is actually some bizarre pre-show facility for an elaborate underground pavilion with a major E Ticket Attraction, Presented by Tesla.
But I don't think so. :D

I think that Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda is exactly what it appears to be; a multi-level flex space designed to be used for upcharge Epcot events much of the year, with the added ability to be rented out to external clients in whole or in part. You could even use the facility for multiple events simultaneously; a ground floor Marvel dance party for Epcot guests, a second floor corporate retreat for State Farm insurance agents at a mandatory team-building session, and a rooftop garden upcharge "Dessert Buffet!" viewing area for the nightly water show. All three of those events would never be in each other's way, and TDO would rake in extra cash from the second floor and rooftop garden. It will be infinitely more profitable than the Fountain of Nations ever was, that's for sure. :rolleyes:

I should mention that I think @marni1971 gets confused by the American use of the phrase "ground floor" and "second floor". In British-speak they would call that "ground floor" and "first floor". But that's the British, because aside from being a fabulous nation and society that nurtured democracy for centuries and spread basic human rights and justice around the world, the Brits use funny words for things.

As long as we get "hopefully" get news of anything related to the Imagination Pavilion then I'm fine.

Editor516

I watched the Epcot preview video from the D23 park’s booth and I have to say I’m confused. I think this part of this post sums it up for me. They’re going with this World Nature/Celebration/Discovery concept, which makes a few things seem like outliers. GotG, for example - how does that fit in? Test Track - how does that fit in to this seemingly new direction?

And how does adding IP in general to Epcot fit into this new direction? It seems like a lot of this new stuff is very conceptual - nature, discovery, wonder. So how do you add Remy, and the Guardians, and Mary Poppins, and Coco, and whoever else, into this equation?

To me, it seems like there are two factions battling for the soul of Epcot - the Epcot of the past, where big ideas like Imagination and Communication and The Land and The Seas and Motion can be represented and explored ... versus “IPcot,” where franchise characters are added in a ploy to boost attendance and ROI and reduce the nerd factor.

Like, here’s this amazing landscape with floating gardens and fountains and nature-like splendor... and here’s a nighttime fireworks show that celebrates all the music we’ve ever pumped out over the decades. Explore the Journey of Water, then rock out to Let It Go.

Anyone else seeing a disconnect here? I’m trying to see the big picture here, but I’m just not getting it yet.

TP2000

As long as we get "hopefully" get news of anything related to the Imagination Pavilion then I'm fine.

Don't worry friend, I'm sure there will be actual Epcot attractions discussed on Sunday. Bob Chapek's Wonder Rotunda is minor.

They just included it in the pre-Sunday artwork because it's such a throwaway thing. It just appears to be a new generic events space to be used for festivals, upcharge events/Lagoon Show viewing, and private parties.

Thinking about who would use an events space like this, a majority of Epcot visitors probably won't even have a reason to go in the darn thing.

MouseBrayden

They’re going with this World Nature/Celebration/Discovery concept,

Yeah, wonder where they got that idea from. 🤔

An earlier version of the overhaul art even had that Hedge Maze thing by Imagination, an idea of which I'm assuming eventually combined with water features and nature trail aesthetic into the Journey of Water over by The Seas.

EJ96

Yeah, wonder where they got that idea from. 🤔

View attachment 401593

An earlier version of the overhaul art even had that Hedge Maze thing by Imagination, an idea of which I'm assuming eventually combined with water features and nature trail aesthetic into the Journey of Water over by The Seas.

At least we’re not getting Time Racers......

*crosses fingers and prays I didn’t just jinx that*

NickE

Add Epcot Forever to that list? Along with the possibility of a old friend being the narrator?

I'll try to keep an open mind on Epcot Forever, but replacing the incredible Illuminations -- which had an original story and gave you something to think about -- with something that merely "celebrates" the history of Epcot, seems to me analogous to that moment when a band stops releasing new music and settles into being no more than a nostalgia band (example: nearly every band in the “Garden Rocks” concert series).

Opinions are solely those of the author <g>.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I'll try to keep an open mind on Epcot Forever, but replacing the incredible Illuminations -- which had an original story and gave you something to think about -- with something that merely "celebrates" the history of Epcot, seems to me analogous to that moment when a band stops releasing new music and settles into being no more than a nostalgia band (example: nearly every band in the “Garden Rocks” concert series).

Epcot forever is not the replacement. It’s a temporary show that I think lasts a year or so.

Touchdown

I really hope it’s good, maybe so good that the show that follows it reviews poorly, maybe forcing them to shutter the IP show and then plus EF for the new equipment. Either way I’m going to see it half a dozen times, assuming a late May premier of “the other show”

trainplane3

RoE is by far my favorite show.
A few people that know what EF will have in it have said it's a decent show. Sadly it's just a temporary show that'll be around for a max of one year. I'm not looking forward to the thing that comes after EF.

jrhwdw

At least we’re not getting Time Racers......

*crosses fingers and prays I didn’t just jinx that*
Time Racers got nixed specifically because they found a fast moving thrill ride was structurally incompatible with the existing Spaceship Earth.
Read that a couple of times and this sounds an awful like DL's Rocket Rods' Fiasco!!!!! SO GLAD they're not doing that to SSE!!!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom