Rumor Magic Kingdom 50th Refurbishments

francism

The finale being updated at Big Thunder would be nice but it would be amazing if they could somehow cool down the upstairs portion of the queue. The last few times I've been in there, it has felt like an absolute oven. Since we are local, we usually go for rope drop and leave before the heat of the day really settles in but it can still be oppressive in there if you are standing around while only one side of the attraction is running. Someone also mentioned it would be nice if they could quiet the anti-rollback devices on the lifts, that would be swell as well.

justintheharris

I understand that. But most other guest don't feel the way that Disney purists feel about the Jungle Cruise. They feel like they wait in line to get in an uncomfortable boat with a a "skipper" who disinterestedly mumbles through jokes they can barely understand/catch into a microphone about robot animals that seven times out of ten aren't even working/moving.
It is not scoring high on guest surveys. There is going to have to be a change.
I wish more forum members understood that the average guest does not think like the people on this forum. The average Disney guest does not have the same interests as the people here and does not have a quarter as many frivolous complaints. While I like the Jungle Cruise, it’s only when the delivery is nailed perfectly. And most of the friends I take to Disney who rarely go (went only at my insistence) are not fans of the attraction. Some didn’t even realize jokes were being told.

PorterRedkey

I wish more forum members understood that the average guest does not think like the people on this forum. The average Disney guest does not have the same interests as the people here and does not have a quarter as many frivolous complaints. While I like the Jungle Cruise, it’s only when the delivery is nailed perfectly. And most of the friends I take to Disney who rarely go (went only at my insistence) are not fans of the attraction. Some didn’t even realize jokes were being told.
Sad, but true.

DisneyDebRob

There is a "spiel button" on every Jungle Cruise boat. It was installed during the last major refurb when the ride got new boats when the ride was very close to being turned into George Of The Jungle Cruise. All it would take is a sound card being placed under the counsel of the boat and the spiel button would work. I have a strong feeling that Skippers will be using the that speil button to "interact" with the Rock in the not too distant future.
Please no.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member

I've only been on it once. It was meh. At best. I'm going to give it another try during our September trip. I'm a HUGE fan of dad jokes, so I was really looking forward to this ride. I missed almost all the jokes, as they were said while the skipper was looking away from the audience so he could interact with the ride. I think this ride has a lot of potential though, and it had to have been pretty glorious at some point since it has such a huge diehard following. A refurb will likely help it a great deal.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I wish more people would realise the average guest doesn’t care so long as they’re enjoying something.

The popularity of the attraction says something. Although this one does rely on cast who can do it.

smile

Or maybe hire hourly cast on the docks and equity auditioned actors for the skippers on the boat who actually know how to perform (and are paid enough for them to be bothered to perform).

for jc??
:hilarious:
...even supporting a rock

in virtually all iterations, jc has become an embarrassing farce that should have been seriously addressed years ago
- something i absolutely hate to have to say, but i'm not the one that per her there - change can't come soon enough for me

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Having been to all three places, my order is a bit different as it probably is for the various duplicate rides within the different parks. It’s all subjective.

But no, I don’t want The Rock inserted into JC. ;)

Yep, it's all personal preference. We were not prepared for the start of the ride in Paris, and then once we got to the top of the initial lift hill, we figured out what was going on. :) We loved the Paris BTMRR - great ride and effects. For me, the effects in DL nudge it slightly ahead of the MK version, which I think has a better roller coaster.

And I miss the falling boulder on the last lift hill...

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I’m in favor of a JC refurb just to reset and retrain the CMs running it. Like many of you my last skipper wasn’t good; I couldn’t tell if he was playing disinterested too well or was actually just tired of being on the boat after a long day. Either way the ride was only like a 6/10 when with a great skipper it’s a 10/10.

IIRC the ride didn’t start it’s existence with a joking atmosphere, it evolved that way over time. It may have now evolved too far to the sarcastic/cynical for its own good.

Shut it down, fix the animatronics, reassign the skippers to Magic Carpets for a while, then be meticulous with training/retraining before it reopens.

Last edited:

Spash007

I’m in favor of a JC refurb just to reset and retrain the CMs running it. Like many of you my last skipper wasn’t good; I couldn’t tell if he was playing disinterested too well or was actually just tired of being on the boat after a long day. Either way the ride was only like a 6/10 when with a gray skipper it’s a 10/10.

IIRC the ride didn’t start it’s existence with a joking atmosphere, it evolved that way over time. It may have now evolved too far to the sarcastic/cynical for its own good.

Shut it down, fix the animatronics, reassign the skippers to Magic Carpets for a while, then be meticulous with training/retraining before it reopens.

I feel like this sentiment is way too common and is part of the problem with the JC. Yes the jokes and skippers are great... if you get a good one. I went for the first time in a long time two years ago, and our skipper was awful. The only reason I went on again last year was because of the Christmas overlay. That skipper was fantastic. Training clearly needs to be addressed to make it more consistent, but my biggest worry is that Disney will look at this "risk" of a bad skipper and just get rid of them all together.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom