News Expose reveals WDC control in online fan community

rudyjr13

This is is indirectly related to this conversation and I didn't think it warranted a new thread.

Former imagineer (2017) J Daniel Jenkins was on a podcast last Tuesday that some of you may not like or have issues with given the domain that it originates from. I don't have such issues and gave it a listen and there were some very interesting tidbits in the 2nd half (the 1st half is very interesting to learn about general imagineering). He talks about the change from Staggs to Chapek and my interpretation is he wasn't thrilled about the change. He also has some interesting info working on New Fantasyland and Galaxy's Edge.

Search Dreamfinders podcast on your favorite browser or podcast app for a listen.

SteamboatJoe

Oh no, I'll get a new piece of plastic if need be. I just can't believe they are bothering with the cards when they scan the same as a MB and they are doubling up with physical IDs.

Since I have to activate a renewal voucher for my son anyway, I am already going to have to visit a ticket booth or guest relations
I love how this sub-conversation just calmly continues despite all the madness around it.

Jimmy Thick

If this link is the TP2000 form usenet. Here is a message from the same user who says he works at Disneyland and signs off on the response as Troy.

Edit to Add: I also found these additional messages where he signs off as Troy

People are seriously scouring the internet over stuff from 20 years ago?

Just how embarrassing is that?

pdude81

People are seriously scouring the internet over stuff from 20 years ago?

Just how embarrassing is that?

There are also maybe 3 or 4 other people in the world that have the same initials and might use a common year after it. I'm not saying who anybody is or isn't, but I'm glad we don't convict people in this country on that kind of evidence.

Frank the Tank

It's quite possible that TWDC failed to understand or appreciate that hardcore Star Wars fans and hardcore Disney Parks fans aren't the same beast. Yes, there is overlap but the expectations and desires of each group aren't completely in synch. In fact, they probably differ to a degree at some important, fundamental levels.

I'm a big Star Wars and Disney Parks fan and my perception of the reviews of SWGE so far (as I haven't visited SWGE myself yet) actually don't seem to indicate a Star Wars/Disney fan gap. Instead, it's almost as though TWDC thought too *much* about how it defined immersion and that it would be so different from the rest of Disneyland, such as not having John Williams music playing in the land, not using a familiar location from the movies (such as Tatooine), avoiding using the Original Trilogy in the name of keeping the timeline of the current trilogy, etc.

My impression is that TWDC went out of its way to define immersion as, "You're living your own life somewhere in the Star Wars Universe", whereas I think a lot of fans were looking for immersion defined as, "You're *in* the specific movie Star Wars: A New Hope (or Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, etc.)." It really feels like I'm in a Harry Potter movie when I'm at Universal because of Hogwarts and the other specific sites. I think a lot of Star Wars fans were hoping for something similar.

Once again, this is only what I've gleaned from reviews - I'm excited to visit SWGE personally at DHS next year, but I'm not surprised that Star Wars fans have pointed out these critiques.

dreamfinder

Blown up by a mere 250%. *gulp*

The golf thing somehow rang a bell: when we used free miniature golf included with our tickets they gave us a receipt for the full amount and I thought it was peculiar compared to the $0 receipts you get on the dining plan. It all makes sense now! :hilarious:

This is promising to be a fun week. It's only Monday!

Perhaps it has to do with how the various dept's need to account for the spend? IE the Mini Golf voucher comes from Resorts, who needs to "pay" the mini golf dept the value. Much like how free dining actually gets "paid" by the resorts, the restaurants don't just eat the cost of the food, cash changes balance sheets somewhere in the back of house.

Because there are articles being pushed through by Disney from people you are supposed to trust. That every insider you've ever heard from has someone on the other side playing us and just using them as a medium.

I love @marni1971 - the guy is awesome. But now you have to realize that whoever is giving him information, unless the source is the direct source and a personal friend of his just telling Marni info because he's his friend; That he is giving that info with ulterior motives. Marni doesn't have ulterior motives; he is as stand up an individual and fan as they come, but the information does. It's there to play us, gauge reaction, or even throw employees of Disney under the bus and forge alliances.

Anyone who leaks has motive, especially a bombshell leak. Be it a test balloon for an idea, trying to torpedo an idea dead in the water, root out a leak, or keeping their friends happy. But that is what separates a good reliable long term source from a one off bombshell source. And why good reporters/insiders try to verify info from multiple independent sources. I think the forum regulars have a decent sense of who is a constant reliable insider vs a bombshell dropper.

Am I the only one that doesn’t get all the talk about GE being a “failure”?

Did you see the articles about the same guy who raised the flags about Enron talking about the books at General Electric? https://fortune.com/2019/08/17/ge-madoff-accountant-next-enron-standoff Oohhhh, you weren't referring to that financial scandal, but rather SW:GE, my bad.

The reason that they didn't is because if you were living in Batuu, if this were a real planet, you'd not be walking around with a background theme playing ;)

Speak for yourself, I have a personal soundtrack almost all day long. Drives other people nuts.

LSLS

Honestly I think it's funny people have questions after the Micechat admin straight outed the guy, and then realized he did SOMETHING he shouldn't have (don't know those details), tried to delete his outings, and then have the thread deleted. I mean, the other stuff is more evidence, but you had a board admin on a different board straight say he had his name and email address for Disney. The extra digging is icing, but you were straight given the answer days ago.

VJ

Honestly I think it's funny people have questions after the Micechat admin straight outed the guy, and then realized he did SOMETHING he shouldn't have (don't know those details), tried to delete his outings, and then have the thread deleted. I mean, the other stuff is more evidence, but you had a board admin on a different board straight say he had his name and email address for Disney. The extra digging is icing, but you were straight given the answer days ago.
how dare people not just believe what they're told!

pdude81

There are platforms where I tried to sign up with a username I was using since the 90's and somehow with billions more people on the earth another person already had it on that platform. Also there can sometimes be more than one person with the same name in the same country. Even sometimes more than two people who have ties to Disney with the same name within a 20 year period.

This is why police do lineups after a robbery and can't just go by a general description of the person or a name used during the event.

I find it weird that I'm defending reasoning given that I know nothing about peoples real names or motivations in this story. Suspect all you want but there is a big difference between suspicion and proof

ImperfectPixie

There are platforms where I tried to sign up with a username I was using since the 90's and somehow with billions more people on the earth another person already had it on that platform. Also there can sometimes be more than one person with the same name in the same country. Even sometimes more than two people who have ties to Disney with the same name within a 20 year period.

This is why police do lineups after a robbery and can't just go by a general description of the person or a name used during the event.

I find it weird even that I'm defending reasoning given that I know nothing about peoples real names or motivations. Suspect all you want but there is a big difference between suspicion and proof
I have what I thought was a very unusual last name, as I'd never heard it before. It's German in origin. However, there is not only a person who lives in Orlando (I don't live there) who shares both my first and last names...there's another in the SAME town I live in. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if at least two of us share a middle name, too.

Captain Neo

That's pretty much the way I remember it. Al's column started happening less frequently and people started asking why. At first it was "Al is having medical issues", but word on the street was Al was so sick there was no way he could be writing those articles. Hence the statement from MiceChat years ago. MiceChat Updates changed. People lost interest and moved on.

The part that interests me is that MiceChat suddenly rose from the dead with some info about changes coming to Rivers of America. Did they just copy this "insider info" from somewhere else? Possibly. But it also seems like around the same time Spirit suddenly went from being your friendly neighborhood Disney fan, to outright nasty and belittling to Disney and its customers.

Did a Disney "fan" lose his paycheck around this time, and did Disney start shopping around for new clickbait? Total speculation on my part. I'm still leaning towards nothing more than jealous old queens (and I mean that in a loving way, sisters).

Spirit was wined and dined by corporate people that were part of eisners inner circle. When Eisner was pushed out I think Spirit lost a lot of his connections. He has had it out for Iger since day one going to Fox News/MSNBC lengths to smear him. I remember when the marvel deal happened he constantly reminded everyone Disney would never have access to spider man or the fox characters and Iger was in essence “duped” into buying a brand consisting of obscure characters when the marvel brand started to rise over the years spirit conveniently dropped that talking point and moved on to other things.

He was also extremely pro-China constantly insulting Americans and saying the Disney parks were either gonna be neglected or sold off due to Disney’s interest in making China their crown jewel theme park. Again when the China project was revealed to be nothing impressive Spirit changed the narrative again.

I’ll post more thoughts later but this whole conversation has been really interesting to me since I was heavily engaged in the Disney community from mid 00s-early 10s and then got frustrated and moved on to other things. I actually came back to this forum to discuss something else in the news and ended up stumbling onto this fiasco lol.

bclane

Sorry to take this way off topic, but did they make you bring your actual AP card to check in for SWGE? I have one tomorrow morning and I assumed that they would scan my MB to check eligibility along with my regular ID.
They didn’t check our AP cards for some reason. They just checked out IDs and scanned our magic bands. But others had their pass checked apparently so I would definitely bring it if you can. I guess we must just look particularly trustworthy since they didn’t check ours. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom