Predictions! Secret WDC Project — August 22 @ D23

Mac Tonight

*Iger takes the stage*

"Good afternoon everyone. I know we're all very very excited for this. It's been a long time coming, and we finally felt like the time is right. Now, before I say what it is, let me just reiterate that this is something that affects us all here at the company. From the janitors to even myself as CEO..."

*crowd begins to grow restless*

"OK, OK. I can see its best to just get this underway.... alright! Without further ado!"

*drumroll as Iger flicks through his handheld slide clicker*

"The Disney Company is very committed to the preservation of our environment, and so, allow me to be the first to announce that we are doubling down on our efforts to go green and so we're going to be switching our toilet paper to a recycled hybrid 1-ply format to help the environment. So now, whenever we wipe ourselves, we'll be thinking about the future generations who will one day get to enjoy what we left behind! Thank you!"

*Iger walks off stage. Vloggers go nuts*

brodie999

I think we have hyped this way more than we should have. Or maybe Disney did by using the word “secret.” Lol.
I agree. @przidentkendall. One of these possible announcements might be a partnership with Universal. Namor just started appearing in Marvel games again like Marvel Strike Force, Future Fight and Marvel Contest of Champions, so something must be going on for this change of promotion.

bartholomr4

I agree. @przidentkendall. One of these possible announcements might be a partnership with Universal. Namor just started appearing in Marvel games again like Marvel Strike Force, Future Fight and Marvel Contest of Champions, so something must be going on for this change of promotion.

Theres a bunch of mixed info on Namor --- Most of it around film rights. You have to have clairvoyance to figure it out (I don't have it). Universal thinks it owns the distribution rights, Legendary Films thinks they own the film rights, Keven Feige says its complicated, but he doesn't think Legendary has the film rights, but hasn't said anything about Universal Distribution rights..... I think the fact this is showing up in games is a separate issue which is less of an who controls it in the parks issue.... however to your point.... I so hope you are right.... I Just don't think it meets the threshold of a special project that deserves this degree of secrecy and its own hour at D23......

Kev1982

I understand what you are saying. However, changing Cinderella Castle in the Magic Kingdom is perhaps the only thing that could unite all the Walt Disney World fans into near literal riots. Iger and Chapek can get away with a lot and have people defending it, but that one would not fly. You mention how Sleeping Beauty Castle in Disneyland is Walt's castle. Well, Cinderella Castle is Roy's. He was the one who opened Magic Kingdom. No way it would be changed. Not even with the current company leadership.
Fair enough. I do think it's a shame there's still gonna be 2 castle parks with the same castle but I actually completely agree with your argument. Let's just change the current leadership instead :cool:

brodie999

Theres a bunch of mixed info on Namor --- Most of it around film rights. You have to have clairvoyance to figure it out (I don't have it). Universal thinks it owns the distribution rights, Legendary Films thinks they own the film rights, Keven Feige says its complicated, but he doesn't think Legendary has the film rights, but hasn't said anything about Universal Distribution rights..... I think the fact this is showing up in games is a separate issue which is less of an who controls it in the parks issue.... however to your point.... I so hope you are right.... I Just don't think it meets the threshold of a special project that deserves this degree of secrecy and its own hour at D23......
I hope so too. He was absent in cartoons and TV shows too. So I'm pretty sure that was a issue too. Maybe they put an embargo on him too until they sorted out the rights with other studios like Universal and Legendary.

solidyne

Original Poster
Was the rumor/rumblings of this being a company-wide rewards program debunked? That would be consumer-facing, but not just parks/resorts-related
Right. I'm thinking company-wide, which includes parks. That's why I think he meant "not just" (as you wrote) not "just not." Not trying to be pedantic, I promise! :) It's just that "just not the parks" would mean the opposite! As in, "all of Disney, just not the parks." Again, not trying to (or do I mean "trying not to") be a jerk! Just wanna know!

Indy_UK

Was the rumor/rumblings of this being a company-wide rewards program debunked? That would be consumer-facing, but not just parks/resorts-related

OMG, could you imagine. I would love it.

In the U.K. If you subscribed to Disney Life streaming service you got 10% purchases at the Disney store. I used it a few times.

I'm purchased Disney hasn't done anything like it before because the more you save, the more people tend to spend.

I would like a points reward system too which could be used company wide, maybe gives you free cinema showings or free park fast passes. Would never happen but I wonder if it could allow Magicband rollout worldwide but using a more basic RFID system to collect these rewards/ points

solidyne

Original Poster
“Not DCL either” implies that he means it’s not Parks and Resorts related.
Good point! He meant exactly what he wrote then: "just not..." I'm accustomed to having to read people's posts twice I guess! (I should know not to second-guess Testa.)

Anyway, so we're looking at something consumer-oriented but not for consumers of Parks and Resorts (of which DCL is a part).

Wsny11

I have my doubts if Disney would be the one to do it, but there is a sizable market (NYC metro area) that could handle a Disney level single gate park. Like Tokyo, which has a weather profile similar to NYC, to an extent, they shouldn’t have to close the park seasonally or anything like that. NYC tourism would also keep the park open year round.

The problem is who would build it (IMO it would most certainly not be Disney for the same reason they wouldn’t build the fanboi fantasy that is Disneyland Texas, cannibalization) and where. NYC metro area only has one large contiguous plot of land that is/could be well served by mass transit; the Meadowlands complex. The problem there is the Giants/Jets have their new stadium there and the land itself is controlled by the state of New Jersey. MetLife Stadium + parking + and Meadowlands racetrack yields over 300 acres.

It and London are the two major affluent world cities without high quality theme parks. Some look to risky emerging markets for theme park sector growth, but the greatest treasures are closer to home, provided you have the wherewithal to do so.

I think anywhere in New Jersey or Eastern PA would fit the bill for a NE park like you’re describing, it doesn’t need to be in the meadowlands. Between NYC and Phila metros as well as the smaller cities in between, you have around 30 million people within a 1-2 hour drive, plus the Boston and Washington metro areas just beyond.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom