Predictions! Secret WDC Project — August 22 @ D23

Cmdr_Crimson

I have two guesses for the secret project...
1) Sea World Parks is bought by Walt Disney Company
This means it would also own the 2 Busch parks and Sesame Place...Then lies the IP issues with CTW/Sesame as it was not a part of the Henson-Disney contract..blah blah blah..and so on an so forth...In other words...
source.gif

bartholomr4

I have two guesses for the secret project...
1) Sea World Parks is bought by Walt Disney Company

2) Magic Kingdom will get a new themed land (maybe devoted to villains)

In the post earnings interview with Angela Borger on CNBC, she asked Bob Iger if he was thinking about buying anything and he said no.... You should go to CNBC and watch the interview..... The look on Igers face was one of shock. Not only did he say no, he said (my opinion) and strong no. He said something to the effect that "We own everything we need for now, and we have a long runway in front of us to digest 21CF"..... Don't think the purchase Sea World is the special project.....

I do think number 2 (not to be confused with a new gate) has some merit, and we would hear it as part of parks and resorts. If you think about the new hotel being built near the campground, and the MK at capacity, they do need to expand the footprint of the park..... They just opened the new road which goes behind the park which makes some of the "open land" to the west and north of the park now open for development. The bridge and trail to the Grand Floridian makes me think that land is up for development. Perhaps another hotel somewhere on the land that opens up into the park near the Haunted Manson (which by the way would be themed to the HM) sounds like a wonderful idea....

I also love your idea of a new land devoted to villains..... It would all fit in this space and increase the Capacity of the MK from 75K to over 100K..... Would be a nice response to Comcast NBCU.....

But I think this wouldn't be the special project, instead it would be announced as part of Parks and Resorts..... I still think the Secret Project is Corporate level discussion, about a new venture (like Walts Special Project to buy all of the Orange Groves in Central FL in the 60's) .... My guess is this project to do with a partnership with Anaheim to bury the hatchet (See my prior post). They want to make the boundaries of DL bigger so they aren't as dependent on the local season ticket holders..... get to a 5 to 6 day visit.....

It has been fun to speculate, and love your villain land idea.....

seascape

This means it would also own the 2 Busch parks and Sesame Place...Then lies the IP issues with CTW/Sesame as it was not a part of the Henson-Disney contract..blah blah blah..and so on an so forth...In other words...
source.gif
It can't be purchasing a publicly traded company. While I can see them buying Seaworld, if a deal had been worked out it would have had to be announced by Seaworld. Now, Feld Entertainment is a privately owned company with lots of land in Florida that would also make sense because the produce Disney Arena shows.

PorterRedkey

I just wanted to get my prediction on the record.

My guess: Expanded DLR (new hotels, shops, parking) to anchor a new water park.

OR

A Company-wide Rewards program that will benefit consumers of Disney’s products and parks.

VJ

I suppose it's the nature of this board being WDW-focused, but a lot of folks here are being extremely myopic. It's unlikely to be anything Parks-related at all, much less an expansion or fifth gate at WDW. The Walt Disney Company is so vastly larger than the theme parks, and they've already got a huge slate of Parks announcements scheduled. There's simply no way anything with the budget of a fifth gate wouldn't have been mentioned in an SEC filing or earnings call by now, and leaked six ways from Sunday on Internet message boards. I've said before that my bet is on some new twist on AR/VR, either in the consumer space or retail experiences like the Void, but we'll just have to wait and see.
stop making so much sense!! OBVIOUSLY if Disney is in the name, it has something to do with a theme park!!

;)

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Also, it's a little weird that that they would say it's a "secret project". I don't remember any time they warned us ahead of time before an announcement. It's also odd this came after Uni's third park announcement. So, it's logical that the Disney announcement is in response to the Uni one.

I know the announcement was mentioned here after the Uni announcement, but are we sure it was put on the schedule after that announcement?

WhatTheDisney94

Regarding the all too commonly discussed Uni Marvel contract....

I think if there were ever a deal between Disney and Universal, that it would be a sharing of the properties. IOW, Uni would probably be allowed to continue to use the Marvel heroes as they currently do, but Disney would be allowed to use the Marvel name in theme parks and use all (or at least more) characters in WDW.

Any deal that starts with the premise of Uni having to give up the rights entirely and re-theme all of MSHI seems like a complete non starter to me as the cost and time for doing so would eat up so much money that it wouldn't be worth Disney paying so much. We'd be talking billions of dollars for Disney to pay out, which would not make any sense.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the contact will every change, but if it does, it would be with Disney getting additional rights, not Uni giving up what they have.
I would love if they came up with something like that. A best of both worlds deal. Maybe allow both companies to use the rights, with Universal using the comic book portrayals of the characters/settings (as they do in IOA) and Disney could use the MCU versions created by Marvel Studios (as they do with all their other Marvel attractions).

Marc Davis Fan

My guess: Expanded DLR (new hotels, shops, parking) to anchor a new water park.

I have to say, I've always loved the idea of a DLR water park, and wondered why it hasn't happened, yet. The region's weather is perfect, the required footprint is relatively small (e.g., part of the existing DTD parking area, for instance), and it would take the pressure off the theme parks in terms of local/AP attendance.

[I hope they do not build a hotel that incorporates the monorail entrance. In fact, I honestly wish the monorail would start functioning as just a roundtrip "ride," without an actual entrance/exit outside of the park (and with outside-world views blocked off by some additional trees and stuff). It's a terrible way for a first-timer to step into Disneyland for the first time. But excuse me, I digress.]

eddie104

I have to say, I've always loved the idea of a DLR water park, and wondered why it hasn't happened, yet. The region's weather is perfect, the required footprint is relatively small (e.g., part of the existing DTD parking area, for instance), and it would take the pressure off the theme parks in terms of local/AP attendance.

[I hope they do not build a hotel that incorporates the monorail entrance. In fact, I honestly wish the monorail would start functioning as just a roundtrip "ride," without an actual entrance/exit outside of the park (and with outside-world views blocked off by some additional trees and stuff). It's a terrible way for a first-timer to step into Disneyland for the first time. But excuse me, I digress.]
According to people on the DL side of things the weather is not perfect for one. 🙄

Cmdr_Crimson

I would love if they came up with something like that. A best of both worlds deal. Maybe allow both companies to use the rights, with Universal using the comic book portrayals of the characters/settings (as they do in IOA) and Disney could use the MCU versions created by Marvel Studios (as they do with all their other Marvel attractions).

See that's strange they have MCU statues of Thor and Cap in the the Comics store on the Island...
Image result for thor
Related image

Whereas they have them in their Comic Book Form as M&G Versions on the Island....It'd be nice for Continuity to use the same outfits as the one's they are using for Captain America at DCA.
Image result for captain america islands of adventure
Related image

SappySappy

Is it possible that they'll announce new international resort? Like maybe in South Korea? Singapore? Or another resort in Japan or the US maybe?
I dont know, because when i heard "secret" i expect something like really big...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom