Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'd say 70% of the public only knows BG from its 1979-1980 incarnation and not the much better cable version. The original BG rapidly deteriorated into a truly awful sci-fi show.
BSG doesn’t translate very well to a theme park.

But about that...the 70’s is so corny it’s useless. The reboot was excellent character study. Fantastic.

Bob Harlem

Original Poster
The themes of the lands also compliment each other well as opposed to being completely unrelated which we see in Epic Universe and all of the recently built UAE parks (which look terrible and soulless). The original lands for Islands of Adventure were cohesive in concept, with only Jurassic Park being the outlier and the rest being havens for fictional characters from literature. Potter wasn't necessarily a huge departure since they were, in fact, books, but Kong was.

Also I'm aware that Jurassic Park was a novel, but the land doesn't follow the format of the others and is literally Jurassic Park - the park.

IOA's theme is adventure, the port of entry being the way into this world of Adventures (And there's specific references to this theme all over Port of Entry if you look for it). It never was literature, although a lot of them did have a connection.

Tom Morrow

IOA's theme is adventure, the port of entry being the way into this world of Adventures (And there's specific references to this theme all over Port of Entry if you look for it). It never was literature, although a lot of them did have a connection.
My point was not that they were literature based but that they created fictional "havens" for fictional characters as the lands. They created a new world to explore even if the world was filled with IP, because they weren't just recreating ONE specific location from ONE IP. That is how IOA differed from these new parks even if it's still a "grab bag" park.

LukeS7

I went and did 2 quick mocks of the concept art combined with google maps (one to show distance/scale in comparison the existing parks, one to show a little more detail on placement. They're not perfect, but meant as approximations):

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I went and did 2 quick mocks of the concept art combined with google maps (one to show distance/scale in comparison the existing parks, one to show a little more detail on placement. They're not perfect, but meant as approximations):

View attachment 396063
View attachment 396064
Nice work...

I’m wondering how they’re gonna try to incorporate the properties?

They can’t be standalones with buses waiting at stop lights on kirkman.

LukeS7

Oh, I should mention, something I noticed while masking out the fireworks above the section that is thought to be Fantastic Beasts: the (show?) building is absolutely massive and about 4-5 times the size of the street in the concept art

Animaniac93-98

I'd say 70% of the public only knows BG from its 1979-1980 incarnation and not the much better cable version. The original BG rapidly deteriorated into a truly awful sci-fi show.

It was never meant to be a series in the traditional sense. The plan was to do several TV movies and then it got rushed into a full season by ABC and the writers had to scramble to get episode ready in time...only to have ABC drop the whole thing the minute ratings started to slip.

It was a mess of a production. A shame it wasn't given the time to truly find the right tone and long-term story.

It did however, live on as a stop on the Universal Hollywood tram tour from 1979-1992.

Animaniac93-98

I have no idea when the newer version was on TV. I only know the original and it wasn't great.

The newer version ran from 2005-2009. It's considered better by most, though I haven't seen any of the episodes yet.

It's the basis for the two coasters at Universal Studios Singapore, which soft opened in 2010.

Parker41056

Thought/Observation: Could the Space themed building and adjacent dueling coaster be a part of a sci-fi city land like in Universal Singapore? Perhaps the coaster will still be themed to Star Trek in a ride that pits the Federation against the Klingons via a warp coaster.

lazyboy97o

Thought/Observation: Could the Space themed building and adjacent dueling coaster be a part of a sci-fi city land like in Universal Singapore? Perhaps the coaster will still be themed to Star Trek in a ride that pits the Federation against the Klingons via a warp coaster.
This park is all about franchise lands. That means no stand alone attractions.

Tonto

This park is all about franchise lands. That means no stand alone attractions.
IMO Universal could be better off going with themes vs. all IP’s. They just don’t have a lot of IP’s besides Nintendo that I want to see a whole land based on. Do we really need a whole land based on Fantastic Beasts, life of Pets, or Dragons?
I do like the Monster Land idea. Very generic, and they can have IP’s in this land without relying on one central IP to carry the load. This also allows them to switch up character representation as new IP’s come on board.
Anyway I’m pretty excited about that particular land. Regardless of IP, I have a feeling Universal will throw the kitchen sink at this one.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I'm curious, as a non-super coaster fan (really wish i could handle them), will there be a good balance of super thrillers (ala Hulk) and dark rides/less intense coasters?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom