MCU Phase 4 and beyond

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
So along with a couple other confirmations, such as Mutants and FF coming to the MCU, here is the slate for Phase 4 announced at Comic-Con:

• May 1, 2020: Black Widow
  • Fall, 2020: The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (D+)
  • Nov. 6, 2020: The Eternals
  • Feb. 12, 2021: Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings
  • Spring, 2021: WandaVision (D+)
  • May 7, 2021: Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
  • Spring, 2021: Loki (D+)
  • Summer, 2021: Marvel's What If...? (D+)
  • Fall, 2021: Hawkeye (D+)
  • Nov. 5, 2021: Thor 4: Love and Thunder
Individual threads for each of these have been started by others for discussion of each. But I'd like to keep this thread going to discuss the overall MCU Phases and each movies/shows impact including potential rumors.

So what are you excited about?

Edit - Thanks to @MisterPenguin for rounding up all the info from the Hall H reveals.

Last edited:

BrianLo

Also worth noting Feige confirmed: Black Panther 2, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3, Captain Marvel 2, Fantastic 4, Mutants, and Blade.

Video clip:

So will these be under Phase 5?

I'm a bit confused on that as well. My interpretation is that it is more Phase 4 though 2021 rather than the whole thing.

There are a lot of properties up there because of the Disney+ series, but it's actually a relatively short timeframe compared to how long a phase has "typically" been.

I'd actually hazard that Phase 4 truly ends with the July 2022 release (with two more movies in Feb and May 2022 unannounced). Probably some combo of Black Panther/Guardians vol 3 being the true Avengers replacement.

I kind of wonder if Blade is actually a streaming property. Maybe even Hulu. A bit odd that Shang Chi just casted its lead by comparison. I guess Mahershala was more of a desirable person they needed to lock down.

Princess Leia

I think the film I’m looking forward to the most is Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. That title is amazing, it’s a team up of Strange and Wanda (who have never interacted onscreen), and it’s being teased as scary, which is new for the MCU. Cumberbatch and Olsen got better in their roles after each movie they were in, so this should be great.

Shang Chi is also up there for me, because I know very little about the character, but it looks like we’re actually getting the Mandarin too!!

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think the film I’m looking forward to the most is Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness. That title is amazing, it’s a team up of Strange and Wanda (who have never interacted onscreen), and it’s being teased as scary, which is new for the MCU. Cumberbatch and Olsen got better in their roles after each movie they were in, so this should be great.

Shang Chi is also up there for me, because I know very little about the character, but it looks like we’re actually getting the Mandarin too!!
They teased us with it in Far from Home, but now we get a real introduction of the Multiverse into the MCU. If there is any movie that would look into trying to bring back some fan favorites from the dead, this would be the film. I doubt they would do it as it would be too easy, but it is possible.

Lucky Rabbit

I'm a bit confused on that as well. My interpretation is that it is more Phase 4 though 2021 rather than the whole thing.

There are a lot of properties up there because of the Disney+ series, but it's actually a relatively short timeframe compared to how long a phase has "typically" been.

I'd actually hazard that Phase 4 truly ends with the July 2022 release (with two more movies in Feb and May 2022 unannounced). Probably some combo of Black Panther/Guardians vol 3 being the true Avengers replacement.
Per this interview with Collider:

Feige claims this is the complete Phase 4. He leaves wiggle room, but that's probably because they can't announce Spider-Man 3 until Sony is ready. However he said they pretty much have Phase 5, which seemingly includes Blade, mapped out in that video. I'm assuming the reason they only did Phase 4 was because they wanted to save stuff for D23.

I kind of wonder if Blade is actually a streaming property. Maybe even Hulu. A bit odd that Shang Chi just casted its lead by comparison. I guess Mahershala was more of a desirable person they needed to lock down.
Blade is being made by Marvel Studios. The only two options are theaters or Disney+ where as Hulu will be Marvel TV. There were rumors Marvel Studios and Marvel TV were fighting over Blade (Marvel TV will have live action Ghost Rider and Helstorm series, and Blade would fit right in), but obviously Feige won out. I think the main reason they're making this movie is because Mahershala is on board.

Lucky Rabbit

If you’re not aware the first Deadpool was made after some test footage leaked, and the reaction was so positive it gave Fox the nudge to make it. It only could have been a few people including Reynolds himself.

He’s celebrating the anniversary of the leak, but also teasing Deadpool being a Phase 5 movie on Instagram:

Twilight_Roxas

Which unfortunately will have nothing to do with the MCU or Phase 4 and beyond. Feige has pretty much written off any connection between Marvel Television and the MCU.
Runaways, and Cloak & Dagger are part of the MCU along with Agents of Shield, Inhumans, and the Netflix shows. So don’t be denying their existence in the MCU.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Runaways, and Cloak & Dagger are part of the MCU along with Agents of Shield, Inhumans, and the Netflix shows. So don’t be denying their existence in the MCU.
If you still believe this then you haven't been paying attention.

I used to believe the same thing, even used to post the same here in other threads. However if you've been paying attention then you'd realize that while on the surface its mentioned that the Marvel Television shows are part of the MCU, they really aren't.

Basically there has been a power struggle internally between different parts of Marvel Entertainment for years. And ultimately Feige won out over the last couples years, starting when he no longer reported to Ike Perlmutter. Its the reason why there is absolutely no mention of any of the Marvel Television shows in any of the movies. And with the exception of AoS, with Phil Coulson and the first couple seasons, there hasn't been any real mention of the movies in the shows.

Even the stars of AoS have talked about it:

The MCU was suppose to be all cinematic mediums feed into each other as part of a large universe. But because of the internal power struggles that never truly happened, so only Feige announced projects are truly part of the MCU.

If you want you can call the Marvel Television produced shows as MCU adjacent.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you still believe this then you haven't been paying attention.

I used to believe the same thing, even used to post the same here in other threads. However if you've been paying attention then you'd realize that while on the surface its mentioned that the Marvel Television shows are part of the MCU, they really aren't.

Basically there has been a power struggle internally between different parts of Marvel Entertainment for years. And ultimately Feige won out over the last couples years, starting when he no longer reported to Ike Perlmutter. Its the reason why there is absolutely no mention of any of the Marvel Television shows in any of the movies. And with the exception of AoS, with Phil Coulson and the first couple seasons, there hasn't been any real mention of the movies in the shows.

Even the stars of AoS have talked about it:

The MCU was suppose to be all cinematic mediums feed into each other as part of a large universe. But because of the internal power struggles that never truly happened, so only Feige announced projects are truly part of the MCU.

If you want you can call the Marvel Television produced shows as MCU adjacent.

If only some major cosmic universal event could bring together various multiverses of mutants, Fantastic Four, Marvel TV, and MCU...

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
*praying Sony and Marvel come to a deal to make Venom MCU*
There have been rumors that the original deal was amended after Venom that would allow Tom Holland's Spidey to make an appearance in future Sony Spiderverse movies. Would that unofficially/officially make Venom and crew part of the MCU, well that is up to Feige who has been noticeably mute on the subject.

So we'll see what happens when Phase 4 starts and when Sony decides to release their next film. But I have a feeling Spider-Man 3 will include some surprise guests.

Stay tuned true believers.....

Disney Maddux

There have been rumors that the original deal was amended after Venom that would allow Tom Holland's Spidey to make an appearance in future Sony Spiderverse movies. Would that unofficially/officially make Venom and crew part of the MCU, well that is up to Feige who has been noticeably mute on the subject.

So we'll see what happens when Phase 4 starts and when Sony decides to release their next film. But I have a feeling Spider-Man 3 will include some surprise guests.

Stay tuned true believers.....
Well, Sony's next film is Morbius in July 2020. Spidey 3 won't be till July 2021, and there's rumors that Tom Hardy's Venom will appear in it, and that a post-credits scene in Venom 2 (October 2020) will explain why he goes from San Francisco to New York.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Original Poster
Well, Sony's next film is Morbius in July 2020. Spidey 3 won't be till July 2021, and there's rumors that Tom Hardy's Venom will appear in it, and that a post-credits scene in Venom 2 (October 2020) will explain why he goes from San Francisco to New York.
Yes, and at the time dates were being adjusted Pascal made a comment that Venom and crew were set in the MCU, or "adjunct" as she called it and again Feige was mute on the subject (who was sitting right next to her).

So we'll see if Tom Holland makes an appearance in either Morbius or Venom 2.

Disney Maddux

Yes, and at the time dates were being adjusted Pascal made a comment that Venom and crew were set in the MCU, or "adjunct" as she called it and again Feige was mute on the subject (who was sitting right next to her).

So we'll see if Tom Holland makes an appearance in either Morbius or Venom 2.
Fingers crossed!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom