Predictions! Secret WDC Project — August 22 @ D23

SteamboatJoe

A special ticket dance party where you can rest in cabanas around the perimeter of the dance floor, eat a cupcake, and watch Disney-Pixar feature animated films released any time after 1988, with the exception of The Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000, Emperor's New Groove, Atlantis, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, Meet the Robinsons, and Bolt.

EDIT: I forgot to mention there will be a big DVC kiosk in the middle of the cabanas.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

A Deepfake AI version of Walt Disney will pop up on the screen startling everyone.
giphy.gif

the.dreamfinder

I hope we'll see a park in the Northeast before we see a 5th gate in Florida. I'm honestly surprised Universal hasn't dived into this area yet.

As for this secret project, I have the feeling it will have nothing to do with the Parks.
Don’t you think a lot of potential revenue would be lost opening in a place where you might have to close seasonally ??
I have my doubts if Disney would be the one to do it, but there is a sizable market (NYC metro area) that could handle a Disney level single gate park. Like Tokyo, which has a weather profile similar to NYC, to an extent, they shouldn’t have to close the park seasonally or anything like that. NYC tourism would also keep the park open year round.

The problem is who would build it (IMO it would most certainly not be Disney for the same reason they wouldn’t build the fanboi fantasy that is Disneyland Texas, cannibalization) and where. NYC metro area only has one large contiguous plot of land that is/could be well served by mass transit; the Meadowlands complex. The problem there is the Giants/Jets have their new stadium there and the land itself is controlled by the state of New Jersey. MetLife Stadium + parking + and Meadowlands racetrack yields over 300 acres.

It and London are the two major affluent world cities without high quality theme parks. Some look to risky emerging markets for theme park sector growth, but the greatest treasures are closer to home, provided you have the wherewithal to do so.

the.dreamfinder

What about a new division of Disney focusing on adults (without kids)? More standalone DVCs, retrofit one of the old ships, more romantic or adventurous vacation destinations. Still something very much Disney (brand oriented) but bridging the gap between kids and families.
That’s not how Disney sees their product. It’s all about BRANDING and BRAND interaction touchpoints (eeewww!! :depressed:). They’ll do stuff like adults only AbD groups, but they don’t see it as a market that isn’t being well served under the current business model.

the.dreamfinder

The only D23 announcement that would ever excite me would be an announcement that Chapek was sacked and that everybody involved in his "IP all the things" campaign was sent packing to Six Flags or something.
Chapek isn’t the only problem. The system, the parks as an ATM for the company and systemically favoring the sum of the parts over the sum of the whole, is the problem.

TeddyinMO

Guys, it’s probably not at all related to the parks. I know that’s what most of us here are most interested in, but there’s a lot more to the company, and it’s probably something that doesn’t fit cleanly in any one existing presentation or division. If it does happen to be parks-related, it’s going to something too big or too unique to announce in the regular panel. That does not include any Epcot changes, hotel building, monorail expansion, etc.
I agree it’s not parks. I bet it’ll be something technology related that also ties into Disney+. Specifically, I’ll predict it has to do with the future of HULU and how it all plays into Disney+ and ESPN+ and how they plan to expand globally. For parks fans, this may not seem like much, but it’s arguably the most important niche for the future of the company. It’ll also be huge news for the business publications, which would explain the press conference part of it.

Magic Feather

I could see this being a deep dive on the big Cruise Line news. Between the three new ships (of which nothing has been released other than the fact that there are three ships coming) and the new “island” (more like island section), they could definitely fill an hour. Plus, I doubt the Parks panel would have time for DCL. That said, this is pure speculation, with an ounce of intuition.

rescue_ranger

Guys, it’s probably not at all related to the parks. I know that’s what most of us here are most interested in, but there’s a lot more to the company, and it’s probably something that doesn’t fit cleanly in any one existing presentation or division. If it does happen to be parks-related, it’s going to something too big or too unique to announce in the regular panel. That does not include any Epcot changes, hotel building, monorail expansion, etc.
Agreed. I believe the only way this could be parks related is if it were a fifth gate and I don't think that's probably it (as exciting as it might be). Any of the other parks related things like Epcot, water parks, new lands, etc could and would be announced during the Parks Panel. As others have pointed out, this is something big that they can discuss in length to give it a full hour. It's very clear that we're all invested for sure!

Ravenclaw78

I have my doubts if Disney would be the one to do it, but there is a sizable market (NYC metro area) that could handle a Disney level single gate park. Like Tokyo, which has a weather profile similar to NYC, to an extent, they shouldn’t have to close the park seasonally or anything like that. NYC tourism would also keep the park open year round.

The problem is who would build it (IMO it would most certainly not be Disney for the same reason they wouldn’t build the fanboi fantasy that is Disneyland Texas, cannibalization) and where. NYC metro area only has one large contiguous plot of land that is/could be well served by mass transit; the Meadowlands complex. The problem there is the Giants/Jets have their new stadium there and the land itself is controlled by the state of New Jersey. MetLife Stadium + parking + and Meadowlands racetrack yields over 300 acres.

It and London are the two major affluent world cities without high quality theme parks. Some look to risky emerging markets for theme park sector growth, but the greatest treasures are closer to home, provided you have the wherewithal to do so.

Legoland NY (themed hotel + theme park) is opening in April 2020 in Goshen, NY - about 60 miles from NYC. I'm not saying I believe Disney would follow suit, because I don't, but if there's sufficient demand to support a theme park that caters to families of kids under age 13, then there almost has to be sufficient demand for an all-ages theme park resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom