How Disney can get Marvel for WDW

Tank Man

Original Poster
So basically it’s all about you and Disney which is what I suspected.

“CheAted”?
The anti Universal was evident from the start.
They advertised it to look like the movies,
It’s nothing like that and soon the Nostalgia for the comic versions will go away as the movies are what people think of marvel now

Fox&Hound

I would love to see Disney get back the rights for Marvel in all of their parks, but not necessarily from a ride perspective. I think meet and greets would be cool or to add them to themed shows, but rides...Did you see the new Antman ride they built in Hong Kong? 100% uninspired. Even Mission Break Out with Guardians seems average. Disney would try to create a world for Marvel in DHS or Epcot and all we would get is a New York backdrop with a bunch of simulators plopped down. No thanks. Time will tell with what they build in California but to me, Marvel is not an environment I want to be transported to like it is with other popular and more fantastic Disney IP's: Star Wars, Tron, Snow White; Pirates, etc

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
There is zero reason for Universal to hand over Marvel on a silver platter.
It isn't worth it to hand over Marvel because Disney would just build a Marvel Park in Orlando which would cause visitors to flock to it and cause Universal to lose money.

You are more likely to see them build a Marvel World in Los Angeles, the only problem with that will be that some people will still get confused and go to Florida thinking the Universal Park is Marvel World. (Which would allow Universal to benefit off Disney's investment)
This happens today anyway. I personally witnesses someone at guest relations begging to be reimbursed for one day tickets he purchased to Hollywood Studios thinking it was where Harry Potter was.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I would love to see Disney get back the rights for Marvel in all of their parks, but not necessarily from a ride perspective. I think meet and greets would be cool or to add them to themed shows, but rides...Did you see the new Antman ride they built in Hong Kong? 100% uninspired. Even Mission Break Out with Guardians seems average. Disney would try to create a world for Marvel in DHS or Epcot and all we would get is a New York backdrop with a bunch of simulators plopped down. No thanks. Time will tell with what they build in California but to me, Marvel is not an environment I want to be transported to like it is with other popular and more fantastic Disney IP's: Star Wars, Tron, Snow White; Pirates, etc
Take me to Asgard. Take me to Wakanda. Take me to the Sanctum Sanctorum. There are plenty of fantastic places Disney could create.

JEANYLASER

I would like to see Disney get back the rights for Marvel in DHS or Epcot.

bhg469

This next phase seems to me like it will be much less popular. I feel like the marvel investment may not be a wise move for now. I still see Spiderman doing wall as long has Holland is still attached but the avengers is all but dead without certain characters.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Imo it would be worth any amount of money for Disney to include marvel in wdw. Why buy marvel if you can't use it to your full advantage? Can uni continue building and running marvel rides Indefinitely? I'm so confused. I am a huge marvel fan and want to see an entire marvel park somewhere. Universal is faster of course but running out of space in Orlando. Disney owns the movie rights though. I have no idea how this works but my dream park is out there and I'd like to live to see it! I literally visualize the rides and attractions and it's so much more than what uni has now. They spent a fortune on avatar and endgame just surpassed it. Time to pay up and build. Mcu fans are waiting, money in hand.

The media business is a tangled web of licensing deals, almost no major purchase in this business is going to come with no strings attached. Theme parks right were far from the only thing that Disney couldn't do with Marvel when they first purchased them.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Universal has a perpetual license to all of the Marvel characters currently in use, and as long as they continue to refresh and maintain the attractions they will be able to hang onto them for eternity.

Animaniac93-98

Take me to Asgard. Take me to Wakanda. Take me to the Sanctum Sanctorum. There are plenty of fantastic places Disney could create.

And none of them have been chosen for their existing Marvel attractions in Hong Kong, Paris or California. GotG in DCA and Epcot has been the one exception

There's no guarantee that IF Disney got the rights for WDW, they would chose these options.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Universal has a perpetual license to all of the Marvel characters currently in use, and as long as they continue to refresh and maintain the attractions they will be able to hang onto them for eternity.

Universal doesn't even have to do that. Once the initial 2 year period expired after the Trigger Date, whatever characters Uni had are theirs. This would include anything under the "shrinkage" and "expansion" clause, if I'm interpreting the contract correctly.

Would love to see the Appendix that listed the characters at the signing.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Universal doesn't even have to do that. Once the initial 2 year period expired after the Trigger Date, whatever characters Uni had are theirs. This would include anything under the "shrinkage" and "expansion" clause, if I'm interpreting the contract correctly.

Would love to see the Appendix that listed the characters at the signing.

You may be right, there were a few articles on it years back around the time of the purchase and that's what I remembered. Could be hazy because time passed. :joyfull:

drizgirl

Disney is not cheap. I did say it matters if Disney were willing to waste more money or trade Fox IP’s.
Disney makes money quickly and I bet in about 3-5 years they would get back the money they lost from Fox. Disney rules in Theme Parks and Movies.
But why would Universal agree to giving up the rates at any price that any of us would find reasonable? Disney has way more to gain out of such a deal. Disney makes a lot of money, but would they want to spend it that way?

LAKid53

Premium Member
You may be right, there were a few articles on it years back around the time of the purchase and that's what I remembered. Could be hazy because time passed. :joyfull:

I'm reading the contract.

If I'm interpreting it correctly, if Uni didn't add more characters after a specified time in a specific manner, which included an additional licensing fee (the "shrinkage" and "expansion" option), then those characters are free to be used by others (Disney is actually listed in the contract).

Makes no business sense for Disney to try to acquire the right-to-use Marvel characters East of the Mississippi. The cost to do so will far exceed what Disney paid for Fox. Disney is making billions from Marvel now. And every time you purchase a Spiderman figure at Uni, Disney gets a cut. Films are a one time layout. Attractions, after the design and construction phase, still cost $$$$ to operate and maintain. Unless Disney lawyers can find some loophole they can use to charge breech of contract, Uni will keep the existing Marvel characters they currently have. And I doubt if Uni would swap any Marvel for something like full ownership of Simpsons. Wouldn't make financial sense, unless Uni thinks it can charge Disney an arm and a leg for the rights to stream or broadcast.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Yes, but the same is for Star Wars.
They are making these rides to bring more people to the parks and also use their most popular IP’s. They make these rides to compete with Universal as they are using Nintendo and Harry Potter to their advantage. So Disney must use their big IP’s that they actually own to draw people to Disney.

Of the 116.5 million who visited Florida in 2017, 72 million visited the Orlando area. 2018 numbers haven't been released yet, but midyear showed a 5.9% increase over the same period in 2017.

While Disney doesn't release firm numbers, it's estimated that about 60 million of those 72 million were at The Mouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom