DLR 3rd gate possibilities

Phroobar

Anyone remember the idea of a third gate boutique? The idea was Imagineers would build something cutting edge and high quility and original. It would be something we always wanted to see. Think Disney Sea quality but even higher. Park admission would be limited to less than five thousand guests and everyone would receive personalized experience. The price would be very high at $800 to $1000 per day. Food would be included. The hotel would be built into the park.

Phroobar

Of course, every human on the planet has a family.

I'm a childless unmarried man. But if I were being forced out of an employer I'd worked at for a decade where everyone knew me and my childless unmarried status, I would never allow the PR department claim I was leaving suddenly "to spend more time with family" because that's just blatant code for "You're fired!"
Maybe Cynthia and you could hook up?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Of course, every human on the planet has a family.

I'm a childless unmarried man. But if I were being forced out of an employer I'd worked at for a decade where everyone knew me and my childless unmarried status, I would never allow the PR department to claim I was leaving suddenly "to spend more time with family" because that's just blatant code for "You're fired!".

Cynthia Harriss ran Disneyland into the ground and she finally got canned after multiple failures. The PR team basically said as much by claiming she was leaving immediately and suddenly "to spend more time with family".
My point is not about it being used as an excuse for her to be fired.

My point was it didn't need to brought up that she is a childless unmarried woman, because again we don't know her family or circumstances.

TP2000

Anyone remember the idea of a third gate boutique? The idea was Imagineers would build something cutting edge and high quility and original. It would be something we always wanted to see. Think Disney Sea quality but even higher. Park admission would be limited to less than five thousand guests and everyone would receive personalized experience. The price would be very high at $800 to $1000 per day. Food would be included. The hotel would be built into the park.

Oh my gosh! I had forgotten about that one. It was after Sea World built that boutique upscale park that lets you swim with dolphins, and then Disney fans began wondering what Disney could do that would be similar. I remember it being a big idea with fans online, but I'm not sure it was ever really a thing for WDI or TDA.

TP2000

My point was it didn't need to brought up that she is a childless unmarried woman, because again we don't know her family or circumstances.

Actually, us long termers here do know.

Cynthia had a very robust PR team who allowed her to do extensive interviews over the years for Disneyland fan websites during 1998-2003. She also was interviewed repeatedly as one of Orange County's prominent businesswomen and the first woman to head up Disneyland. Here's but one of those, as an example... https://www.laughingplace.com/w/leg/?legacyasppage=News-ID501150.asp

Off the top of my head... She is Jewish. She was born and raised in Indiana, worked in retail since she was a teenager, went to college in the Midwest, and found her way to The Disney Store as that Disney division expanded rapidly in the early to mid 1990's, where she worked with Paul Pressler. She lives in Laguna Beach (and according to the OC social circle, she still keeps a home there) and from family I have in La Jolla she has served on the board of the La Jolla Playhouse for years and years. Pressler scored her the job at David's Bridal five years ago because Pressler's investment fund in New York bought David's Bridal out of receivership and he was able to get Cynthia a job there.

After Disney and The Gap, she continued to do business interviews and Podcasts about her life and her career journey.

Her family care abilities were so strong, and so caring, that less than 90 days after she left Disneyland suddenly in October, 2003 to spend more time with family she accepted a job with The Gap up in San Francisco. According to interviews she did at that time, she had never lived in the Bay Area before and was looking forward to the adventure and career change. Maybe she got one of those Visiting Angels gals to check in on her family after she moved 400 miles north?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Actually, us long termers here do know.

Cynthia had a very robust PR team who allowed her to do extensive interviews over the years for Disneyland fan websites during 1998-2003. She also was interviewed repeatedly as one of Orange County's prominent businesswomen and the first woman to head up Disneyland. Here's but one of those, as an example... https://www.laughingplace.com/w/leg/?legacyasppage=News-ID501150.asp

Off the top of my head... She is Jewish. She was born and raised in Indiana, worked in retail since she was a teenager, went to college in the Midwest, and found her way to The Disney Store as that Disney division expanded rapidly in the early to mid 1990's, where she worked with Paul Pressler. She lives in Laguna Beach (and according to the OC social circle, she still keeps a home there) and from family I have in La Jolla she has served on the board of the La Jolla Playhouse for years and years. Pressler scored her the job at David's Bridal five years ago because Pressler's investment fund in New York bought David's Bridal out of receivership and he was able to get Cynthia a job there.

After Disney and The Gap, she continued to do business interviews and Podcasts about her life and her career journey.

Her family care abilities were so strong, and so caring, that less than 90 days after she left Disneyland suddenly in October, 2003 to spend more time with family she accepted a job with The Gap up in San Francisco. According to interviews she did at that time, she had never lived in the Bay Area before and was looking forward to the adventure and career change. Maybe she got one of those Visiting Angels gals to check in on her family after she moved 400 miles north?
You missed the point. It’s ok, go ahead and continue...

ProjectXBlog

the only reason disney made that site detailing a third gate was because they thought DCA would be a smash hit, which it obviously was not (and still is the red-headed stepchild of the disney parks family). between the fact that gate 2 still arguably isn’t up to their standards and city politics, i honestly believe we won’t see a third gate in our lifetimes

BasiltheBatLord

I like how my posts I created to talk about something simple explodes so quickly
And the ones I did not get no attention
It’s because you didn’t familiarize yourself enough with this forum before posting in it. In the old days this was called “lurk more.” Unfortunately this kind of behavior has became rarer over time as social media has become more influential and traditional forums have become less so.

TROR

the only reason disney made that site detailing a third gate was because they thought DCA would be a smash hit, which it obviously was not (and still is the red-headed stepchild of the disney parks family). between the fact that gate 2 still arguably isn’t up to their standards and city politics, i honestly believe we won’t see a third gate in our lifetimes
I’m young.

Tank Man

Original Poster
I would certainly hope.
I assume that is Bob Iger stays for a while longer we probably won’t get a new park. He prefers to fix the parks, he looks at them and sees how he can try to fix them. Michael Eisner would look at the parks, demands to use IP’s the WDI don’t want to use and build parks that will cause problems later

TROR

I assume that is Bob Iger stays for a while longer we probably won’t get a new park. He prefers to fix the parks, he looks at them and sees how he can try to fix them. Michael Eisner would look at the parks, demands to use IP’s the WDI don’t want to use and build parks that will cause problems later
DCA didn’t have a single IP when it opened. Iger is way worse when it comes to demanding IPs in the parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom