DLR 3rd gate possibilities

Tank Man

Original Poster
I know this probably has been talked to death and we all know there is not enough room for a third park (unless Disney does what Disney does and finds a way that will make me slap my face and be like why did he not think of that). Let’s quickly talk about the Eastern Gateway, a idea that they dropped which would have been this huge complex for parking and other things. Out of what I could find, it would have been super big. I think it could have allowed Disney to free up some space and that means more room. There are lots of parking lots surrounding the DLR which could be replaced for more land because of this gateway. I believe that they could do two things. This gate was supposed to be huge and not including the multiple levels which would have freed up more space, they could have used this space to get rid of the parking lots North and South if the Disneyland hotel for more expansion space to DCA and DL [unlikely] because it would probably be stupid to do. The other is to replace the giant parking lot south of where this parking area would be and it is around the same size as DL with a bit more room. I think they could have used this space for a 3rd gate which is more likely. This is lots of speculation but I see this as a possibility but I think they would do this as Disney seems to be prioritizing the projects to upgrade the parks that are not doing well. WDW has been getting lots of stuff to fix AK, DHS and Epcot and instead of making a new park, they are fixing the already existing ones. So probably they would fix the numbers at DCA first (probably with Marvel land and a possible replacement for Hollywood land]. The ideas I think they can go for a new park is the following:
-Westcot:
The original 2nd gate idea. Could feature a fixed version of Epcot but I don’t see this happening as there might not be enough space for a Epcot unless they do something majorly different.
-Disney Studios:
Michael Eisner thought it and it could work. A full on movies park featuring some IP’s that would not have worked as a movies park is a junk drawer (like Universal studios Hollywood) and would work anyways as all of the popular IP’s would fit, a bit late as SWGE would have fit
-World Tour:
Maybe a Epcot world showcase style park where guests get to roam around the countries without a huge lake, maybe a small one for spacing issues. It could feature Coco in Mexico, Black Panther in Wakanda. But this probably won’t happen as the theming might have issues.
-Disney’s Worlds of Adcenture
A Universal IoA style world where they are highly themed lands which can also be a combination with some original ideas involved

Any thoughts,
Yes I know this could go into the Imagineering but I would talk a lot more and focus more on detail instead of a preview. I try and combine ideas also please don’t kill me in the comments.

Tank Man

Original Poster
Yes. I want to see a park themed to the Americas or to the history of the United States.

Btw I like your dog.
Disney’s America was supposed to do that but was “in a uphill battle”
They have a lot to work with

Darkbeer1

The Eastern Gateway is still on the planning board.

The area is not that big. The planned Pummba Structure is smaller than the new Pixar Pals structure (But fairly close in amount of spaces).

It NEVER was to replace any other lot, just to add more spaces, that even with Pixar Pals opening, leaves the DLR still short of the amount of spaces needed for the parks (including the new, small Super Hero Land expansion), current Hotels, DtD and CM/employee parking. And that also counts Toy Story with the new Bullseye lot.

Tank Man

Original Poster
Yes, and you seem to be again mixing in your Armchair Imagineering with what you are also presenting as factual information. Also, a Disney-MGM Studios park was never really considered for Disneyland as those concepts were developed for Burbank.
I meant by the fact that Michael Eisner wanted the Studios park to become the next franchise as yes Burbank was to get one, Paris got one and Tokyo was going to get one

Darkbeer1

On my list of things that could happen.

1. The city approves a minorly modified Eastern Gateway Project.

2. Disney decides to build a DVC style Hotel/Resort in Garden Grove (NW corner of Harbor and Garden Grove Blvd.)

3. The city comes to an agreement with TWDC to extend Gene Autry Way to the Convention Center in return for Disney given certain building/zoning rights on property they own (Toy Story/Bullseye, Eastern Gateway, Ball CM Lot and PPH). This will allow Disney to more easily build parking structures, and even new Hotels. I do not see Disney seeking, nor Disney asking for a third park. More of expansion of DL and DCA. More Hotels is important to the city, as they keep 100% of TOT revenue, and will help market/expand the city owned Convention Center.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Yes. Off and on since the year 2000. Disney even had an official disney.com website about it. https://web.archive.org/web/20000817041730/http://www.thirdthemepark.com:80/

And it's not happening. ;)

Your dog is fantastic, by the way.

So wait, with the winkie face I can tell you're hinting at something. So reading between the lines what you're really trying saying is there is a possibility that it could happen....

That is all I needed to know, so we can continue talking about this endlessly for the next 20 years. ;):p

TP2000

So wait, with the winkie face I can tell you're hinting at something. So reading between the lines what you're really trying saying is there is a possibility that it could happen....

That is all I needed to know, so we can continue talking about this endlessly for the next 20 years. ;):p

Before we begin the next 20 years of conversation about a third park that will never happen, can we just bask in the wonder that is this 2000 quote from Cynthia Harriss?

"Creating the magic of a new Disney park requires us to take a long-term view," said Cynthia Harriss, president of The Disneyland Resort. "A creative design, a careful planning process, an effective transportation and parking plan, and a quality family environment all must come together in cooperation with our neighbors. We are starting that process now, working with Anaheim residents, businesses and civic leaders to identify opportunities that will ensure that the Anaheim Resort Area remains a world-class destination for the decades ahead."

My God, that woman was so brilliantly awful. This was three years before she quit suddenly "to spend more time with my family" as a childless unmarried woman who moved to San Francisco 90 days later to work for Pressler at The Gap. She was then booted from The Gap with Pressler when The Gap collapsed ten years ago. Then she bounced around for a few years before landing at David's Bridal as a SVP, before David's Bridal delcared bankruptcy in 2018 and let Cynthia go six months ago. She's currently not working according to her Linkedin. Probably spending more time with her family. Again.

Burbank sure knows how to pick good ones to run Disneyland, don't they?!? 🧐

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Before we begin the next 20 years of conversation about a third park that will never happen, can we just bask in the wonder that is this 2000 quote from Cynthia Harriss?

"Creating the magic of a new Disney park requires us to take a long-term view," said Cynthia Harriss, president of The Disneyland Resort. "A creative design, a careful planning process, an effective transportation and parking plan, and a quality family environment all must come together in cooperation with our neighbors. We are starting that process now, working with Anaheim residents, businesses and civic leaders to identify opportunities that will ensure that the Anaheim Resort Area remains a world-class destination for the decades ahead."

My God, that woman was so brilliantly awful. This was three years before she quit suddenly "to spend more time with my family" as a childless unmarried woman who moved to San Francisco 90 days later to work for Pressler at The Gap. She was then booted from The Gap with Pressler when The Gap collapsed ten years ago. Then she bounced around for a few years before landing at David's Bridal as a SVP, before David's Bridal delcared bankruptcy in 2018 and let Cynthia go six months ago. She's currently not working according to her Linkedin. Probably spending more time with her family. Again.

Burbank sure knows how to pick good ones to run Disneyland, don't they?!? 🧐

The only thing I'll take exception to with regards to this post is the fact that a unmarried childless woman can't leave a place to spend more time with family. A "family" comes in all shapes and sizes, from kids taking care of parents to foster or adoptive kids. Either way I understand what you're trying to say of the excuses used to exit executives out the door. But still....

Anyways, carry on.....

Tank Man

Original Poster
I like how my posts I created to talk about something simple explodes so quickly
And the ones I did not get no attention

TP2000

The only thing I'll take exception to with regards to this post is the fact that a unmarried childless woman can't leave a place to spend more time with family. A "family" comes in all shapes and sizes, from kids taking care of parents to foster or adoptive kids. Either way I understand what you're trying to say of the excuses used to exit executives out the door. But still....

Anyways, carry on.....

Of course, every human on the planet has a family.

I'm a childless unmarried man. But if I were being forced out of an employer I'd worked at for a decade where everyone knew me and my childless unmarried status, I would never allow the PR department to claim I was leaving suddenly "to spend more time with family" because that's just blatant code for "You're fired!".

Cynthia Harriss ran Disneyland into the ground and she finally got canned after multiple failures. The PR team basically said as much by claiming she was leaving immediately and suddenly "to spend more time with family".

90 days after that PR statement was made in October, 2003 and Cynthia disappeared, she suddenly got a job at The Gap up in San Francisco. She was born and raised in the Midwest and had never lived in the Bay Area before. Apparently either the family she needed to spend more time with died or they just didn't like her company, or she got fired from Disneyland and Pressler hooked her up with a job at The Gap and she moved up to San Francisco to take it. I'm betting on the latter, even though she is a human and has some family like every other human.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom