The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
Popeye's a more imaginative ride, as is the Shanghai ride, Bigfoot 2.0, and a few in Europe. The fact that we're even comparing a Disney ride with near-identical experiences in parks with 1/100th of Disney's resources says a lot about the current bar Disney's set for themselves and the way they spend more money for increasingly less impressive results. With Grizzly River, they spent enough to make it looks nice, then stopped at "good enough." That ride takes up far too much space for what it is.

Is Bigfoot 2.0 open? How’s the AA?

Rich T

Bigfoot is still a rather pedestrian log flume when it comes to the actual ride, the rapids aren’t strong.
It's not a log flume (but it is a flume). :D Rapids don't need to be strong for a good adventure. Even Grizzly River only offers brief moments of turbulence. I think the pacing and motion of Grizzly River is fine, though. It's the lack of any of the touches that used to distinguish Disney rides from other parks that's the attraction's problem. Is it really that hard to improve? It is when Disney would rather spend the funds moving an old kiddie ride to Pixar Pier so that they can promote it as a new attraction.

George Lucas on a Bench

I rarely go on the grizzly ride but I was pleasantly surprised by it. I expected it to be like Kali Ma river run at Animal Kingdom, which is an extremely, extremely lame ride featuring an incredibly elaborately themed line and jungle foliage with a brief awkward enviromental message scene of a logging truck. Grizzly is more of a fun ride though and the drop seemed bigger.

It also doesn't soak you like the Popeye ride, which is why I've avoided that one for a decade.

Phroobar

LOL. The hair was just a memorable detail (Nothing against hairy guys in public. I'm actually jealous due to my deficiency that dept.) The impact was the deciding element. :D
When did everyone get gang tattoos? I've seen more tattoos today than at a circus sideshow.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Speaking of Grizzly Peak the time has come to do something with the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail. It’s no Tom Sawyer Island so it’s expendable and a sizable piece of real estate. Put in a nice little dark ride.

Actually no, wait til Chapek is gone and then put in a nice little dark ride. After seeing SWL I’m officially OK with everything being put on hold at DLR.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I need to rewatch Hereditary again and compare the two. But overall, first impressions are I liked this one much better.

Hereditary was disturbing. I’ve always had a thing for horror movies but As I get older I’m starting to realize what my father in law means when he says I don’t like watching movies that “bother my soul.”

Just saw the trailer for Midsommar. Also looks weird and disturbing.

SuddenStorm

Actually no, wait til Chapek is gone and then put in a nice little dark ride. After seeing SWL I’m officially OK with everything being put on hold at DLR.

Yep. I'd actually prefer Splash Mountain stays in it's current state for the next few years until Chapek's gone and WDI has enough time to hopefully improve- since I worry about what this modern batch of Imagineers would do to the ride if given a budget and told to 'freshen it up'.

Same with Fantasmic. I want the original back, but I know that the modern group would find some way to kill even that version, either by eliminating segments or actors to save costs.

And, same with Tomorrowland. I want it refreshed (not overhauled)- find a way to utilize the PM track, and find a good dark ride for both the Buzz building and Star Tours building.

They can do whatever they want to Toontown.

Mac Tonight

Hereditary was disturbing. I’ve always had a thing for horror movies but As I get older I’m starting to realize what my father in law means when he says I don’t like watching movies that “bother my soul.”

In some ways, I'd say its more disturbing than Hereditary... but also, I weirdly enjoyed it more?

I'm a big horror junkie though, so my souls already been pretty bothered. 😇

mickEblu

Original Poster
Yep. I'd actually prefer Splash Mountain stays in it's current state for the next few years until Chapek's gone and WDI has enough time to hopefully improve- since I worry about what this modern batch of Imagineers would do to the ride if given a budget and told to 'freshen it up'.

Same with Fantasmic. I want the original back, but I know that the modern group would find some way to kill even that version, either by eliminating segments or actors to save costs.

And, same with Tomorrowland. I want it refreshed (not overhauled)- find a way to utilize the PM track, and find a good dark ride for both the Buzz building and Star Tours building.

They can do whatever they want to Toontown.

Agree, Toontown is getting an E ticket added (nothing replaced). Whatever they do to the land to freshen it up can’t be too bad. Right?

TROR

People scoff when the harmful effects of horror films, video games, and rock n roll are mentioned but there’s complete truth to such statements.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom