News Re-Usable Bag Price Increases

Corylancaster

I'm not sure if this was brought up as I just skimmed through the 9 pages and I'm not trying to start a political debate....But is it possible the bag price increases are due to tariffs? I do the material ordering for my work and I have personally seen 200-300% cost increase on some products due to new tariffs on Chinese goods (they are so high that manufacturing for those products is moving out of China, but thats another story for another day) and other trade rulings. So we have in turn increased our retail numbers by the same amounts in order to maintain margins. Not defending the price increase on the bags as DIS can certainly absorb some of the cost if this is the case, but just throwing it out there that maybe this isn't completely a cash grab.

aladdin2007

I'm not sure if this was brought up as I just skimmed through the 9 pages and I'm not trying to start a political debate....But is it possible the bag price increases are due to tariffs? I do the material ordering for my work and I have personally seen 200-300% cost increase on some products due to new tariffs on Chinese goods (they are so high that manufacturing for those products is moving out of China, but thats another story for another day) and other trade rulings. So we have in turn increased our retail numbers by the same amounts in order to maintain margins. Not defending the price increase on the bags as DIS can certainly absorb some of the cost if this is the case, but just throwing it out there that maybe this isn't completely a cash grab.

great interesting point actually, could very well be. Have seen other specific items get a mark up as well. Especially ornaments as an example.

Lensman

This is a great point. If Disney's cost went up from $0.10/$0.15/$0.20 to $0.20/$0.25/$0.30, I could see them raising their prices from $1/$1.50/$2 to $2/$2.50/$3. /s

Goofnut1980

I get the reusable bag idea, but most people will end up throwing them away anyways and it will be even thicker of a material that will never break down. It doesn't make sense. The thing is, they would have to provide something for items being shipped back to the resort. Not to mention, if I spent the money on a reusable bag and then you staple through it causing a tear, then I would be really mad after spending the money and I would expect it replaced which means the first one would be thrown in the trash. It's two fold.

drizgirl

I get the reusable bag idea, but most people will end up throwing them away anyways and it will be even thicker of a material that will never break down. It doesn't make sense. The thing is, they would have to provide something for items being shipped back to the resort. Not to mention, if I spent the money on a reusable bag and then you staple through it causing a tear, then I would be really mad after spending the money and I would expect it replaced which means the first one would be thrown in the trash. It's two fold.
But Disney will have made more money on you so it won't matter.

RollerCoaster

Getting rid of single use bags and charging a small fee for reusuable bags works to change peoples behaviour and cut down on the amount being used. Charging too much for the resuable bag just results in annoyed customers.

It doesn't change any behavior. The anti-plastic bag folks are living a fantasy. Instead I begrudgingly waste money on buying an overpriced reusable bag, that I should add is comprised of a hundred times more plastic than a single-use bag and furthermore cannot be recycled, to just throw it away after use. They go in the trash can where they belong and fill up our landfills faster than the single use bags.

There is no way that I'm going to carry a shopping bag to a theme park. It's ridiculous!

In the past I reused many single use bags for trash or recycling. However, now I have to buy plastic bags for that need.

Jon81uk

It doesn't change any behavior. The anti-plastic bag folks are living a fantasy. Instead I begrudgingly waste money on buying an overpriced reusable bag, that I should add is comprised of a hundred times more plastic than a single-use bag and furthermore cannot be recycled, to just throw it away after use. They go in the trash can where they belong and fill up our landfills faster than the single use bags.

There is no way that I'm going to carry a shopping bag to a theme park. It's ridiculous!

In the past I reused many single use bags for trash or recycling. However, now I have to buy plastic bags for that need.

You are correct that Disney are overpricing their bags, but charging for the disposable bags does change behaviour.

Ireland had a 90% drop in bag use after adding a 5c charge http://www.irishenvironment.com/iepedia/plastic-bag-levy/

Wales saw a 70% drop in a few years https://www.theguardian.com/environ...tic-bag-use-down-70-wales-since-charges-began

In California where San Franciso has been charging since 2007, coastal litter of plastic bags has dropped by 72% https://earther.gizmodo.com/california-s-plastic-bag-ban-appears-to-be-kicking-some-1820443038

In this situation Disney should be charging 5/10c for a disposable bag, or $1.99 for a strong reusable.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

wait you say it doesn't change behavior then say you buy one. whether begrudgingly or not, you buy one. now I would think over time more people wont't just toss them away because they won't want to waste money.

it's really not as torturous as people are making it out to be. supermarkets all over town are switching back to paper bags and/or selling reusable bags. No outcry, no meltdowns. quite a number of shore towns in South Jersey have gotten rid of them.

drizgirl

wait you say it doesn't change behavior then say you buy one. whether begrudgingly or not, you buy one. now I would think over time more people wont't just toss them away because they won't want to waste money.

it's really not as torturous as people are making it out to be. supermarkets all over town and switching back to paper bags and/or selling reusable bags. No outcry, no meltdowns. quite a number of shore towns in South Jersey have gotten rid of them.
But Disney isn't the grocery store. Needing to bring (and carry around) a reusable bag at a theme park is very different from keeping them in your car for when you stop at the grocery store.

eliza61nyc

But Disney isn't the grocery store. Needing to bring (and carry around) a reusable bag at a theme park is very different from keeping them in your car for when you stop at the grocery store.

Why?? lol sorry most folks I see at Disney are already packed like they are hiking the Appalachian trial and won't see civilization for days. so there is no way you're convincing me that bringing in a lightweight bag is an hardship. that's one of the reason bag checks are so long.

Or maybe they can do it the opposite way like some stores, charge you a dollar for every single use bag you need.

LittleBuford

A fold-up reusable bag (or even an existing plastic bag) fits in even the smallest handbag/backpack and weighs next to nothing. You're right that guests may not automatically think to bring a shopping bag with them, but it's an easy thing to start doing.

eliza61nyc

A fold-up reusable bag (or even an existing plastic bag) fits in even the smallest handbag/backpack and weighs next to nothing. You're right that guests may not automatically think to bring a shopping bag with them, but it's an easy thing to start doing.

absolutely and I carry a very small crossbody bag. I fold mine up, I only need one and it drops down smaller than my wallet. done

Seriously I think most folks would be very surprise at how easy it is to bring in a bag. Heck my oldest sticks one in the side of his cargo shorts.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Unless, of course, you have a background in retail, and you see each and every park as nothing more than an open-air mall with attractions...

BoardwalkGlenn

I'm with you on this. My partner & I always go bag-free into the parks. I don't want to start carrying in an empty bag in case I buy something.

100% agree! I keep the bags in my car so it's easy to take them into the grocery store. This isn't an option for me in WDW.

Why?? lol sorry most folks I see at Disney are already packed like they are hiking the Appalachian trial and won't see civilization for days. so there is no way you're convincing me that bringing in a lightweight bag is an hardship. that's one of the reason bag checks are so long.

Or maybe they can do it the opposite way like some stores, charge you a dollar for every single use bag you need.

For me, it's not a hardship to bring in the bag, more of an annoyance for me. It's that I always go bag-free into the parks. And you're right -- some folks are packed like they are going on a long hike.

I guess I'll have to buy a bag while in there if I buy something.

If I do start to carry an empty bag into the park, here's hoping that I don't have to go through the "Guests with bags" line :D:D:D

eddie104

Funny thing is I believe reusable paper bags use to be very common in America back in the days until I guess plastic was found to be cheaper to produce so they exploded in use.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
So without super-heavy use, my AK bag has started ripping. So this will go in the trash, and I will buy a new one next time I go. Maybe the increased prices mean the bags are stronger? :joyfull:

tanc

Sorry to necro this thread but didn't want to make a new thread since it's related to this. Rumor has it CMs are saying Disney is phasing out plastic bags and you will need to purchase reusable bags if you need a bag.

Becoming the norm everywhere I think, but I guess it might be a sudden change soon.

jpeden

In the Parks
No
I can’t imagine them actually being able to phase out single use bags. They are going to have lines of people complaining that they’re being forced to buy bags to carry their $250 worth of purchases around the park.

People will line up like sheep to pay $25 a day for G+ and not lose a wink of sleep, but make them pay for a bag and I promise it will be a nightmare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom