Is new leadership needed at this point?

TP2000

I'm not entirely sure we should point the finger at Iger. The things about Disneyland that irritate me in these last few years have been headed by $hapek. Iger has definitely been a positive for Disney as a whole, but the theme parks need much better management.

On another note I don't recall an uproar over Cars Land or Buena Vista St.

Agreed. This really does seem to be coming from Mr. Chapek. He doesn't seem to get it.

Mac Tonight

I'm not entirely sure we should point the finger at Iger. The things about Disneyland that irritate me in these last few years have been headed by $hapek. Iger has definitely been a positive for Disney as a whole, but the theme parks need much better management.

On another note I don't recall an uproar over Cars Land or Buena Vista St.
Do you think Chapek can run the parks completely how he wants or that he's in part beholden to the whims of Iger as company head? Because I suspect its more the latter than not. Iger is risk-averse and apart from the financial input for GE, the parks have just become a giant risk-averse playground for merchandising and Disney characters.

Last edited:

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Do you think Chapek can run the parks completely how he wants or that he's in part beholden to the whims of Iger as company head? Because I suspect its more the latter than not. Iger is risk averse and apart from the financial input for GE, the parks have just become a giant risk-averse playground for merchandising and Disney characters.

I'm not sure, nor do I really know what happens behind the scenes - but what I can say is that Disneyland was looking good before $hapek came into the picture and a ton of things started changing (for the worst IMO). Then the Merchandising / Parks merger occurred. I'm sure Iger had a say but i'm not sure it was his ideas.

KBLovedDisney

Yes, he was.

But then his Botox Man got his hands on some really strong stuff and it's given Bob a new lease on life. There's no stopping him or his wrinkles!

Bob-Iger-attacks-Bernie-Sanders-758x426.jpg
I couldn't help myself

Rich T

,,,but honestly the land isn't even finished and won't be until next year now.
If someone put a major movie into theaters unfinished, promising to fix it at some point in the future, they would deserve every bit of flack they'd get. Theme park managers shouldn't be let off the hook; they opened an unfinished project and started ringing the dinner bell.

Nirya

The problem with Galaxy’s Edge is they opened a half-finished land that had all of the entertainment gutted prior to opening. I don’t know if I can call the land itself a flop (because I do really like a ton of it) but management did it no favors as they rushed an opening out of hubris. That’s what should be called out, and what Chapek should be held accountable for.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Iger supposed to retire this summer not that long ago?
Part of his deal to get control when Roy ousted Mikey and gave him the job (by default) was that they would never allow succession to get screwed up that badly again...to ensure longterm stability of the brand - and the name.

Don’t look now, but Iger has screwed it up even worse.

They have NO ONE even close to the job. Not by a country mile

Mac Tonight

Part of his deal to get control when Roy ousted Mikey and gave him the job (by default) was that they would never allow succession to get screwed up that badly again...to ensure longterm stability of the brand - and the name.

Don’t look now, but Iger has screwed it up even worse.

They have NO ONE even close to the job. Not by a country mile
Which is really sad. I mean, isn't that part of their job?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The problem with Galaxy’s Edge is they opened a half-finished land that had all of the entertainment gutted prior to opening. I don’t know if I can call the land itself a flop (because I do really like a ton of it) but management did it no favors as they rushed an opening out of hubris. That’s what should be called out, and what Chapek should be held accountable for.
This I strongly agree with...

Full disclosure: won’t see it for a month but this is the general sense I get.

It’s not be WDI retail I question...it’s bad strategic choices at the highest level and really terrible operational ideas

Rich T

Well, that and the misguided direction they took the the land in the first place.

Miru

Agreed:

1. Yeah, they need more stuff there. The atmosphere’s not enough, especially because it was based on the SEQUELS, of all things.

2. I don’t know why GE is actively driving people away, but maybe a Downtown Disney revision would do the trick?

3. Fire them!

4. That’s more on the presidency than anything else.

5. To be fair, the original CS was also a bad attraction, and the Incredicoaster isn’t necessarily worse.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, he was.

But then his Botox Man got his hands on some really strong stuff and it's given Bob a new lease on life. There's no stopping him or his wrinkles!

Bob-Iger-attacks-Bernie-Sanders-758x426.jpg

Lol...spray tan bob.

I’ve said for the along time that the only difference between Eisner and Iger is that Eisner was the “fighter” kinda New Yorker...while bob wants to look cool and hide from the spotlight in Cali kinda New Yorker...

And Eisner was a creative background. Creating content. Bob can’t create a menu for willows barbecue this weekend

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed:

1. Yeah, they need more stuff there. The atmosphere’s not enough, especially because it was based on the SEQUELS, of all things.

2. I don’t know why GE is actively driving people away, but maybe a Downtown Disney revision would do the trick?

3. Fire them!

4. That’s more on the presidency than anything else.

5. To be fair, the original CS was also a bad attraction, and the Incredicoaster isn’t necessarily worse.

You mean the movies that have no atmosphere whatsoever??

Making return of the Jedi look like a lost da Vinci masterpiece with Shakespearean quality acting?

Travel Junkie

One thing is for sure and that is Disney management was overconfident and cocky. From Iger on down. Iger joked in front of shareholders about not even having to advertise for GE. Funding was allocated to get the park ready for the crowds that have yet to materialize. The steps they took to actively keep people away from the park around the opening. The Disney company as a whole has been on a roll financially and it is perhaps a good thing they get knocked down a couple of notches. Everything from the design, marketing, and roll out of GE stunk of hubris.

If things don't turn around quickly for DLR, I'm sure some changes will be made. Regardless, I hope that this serves as a wakeup call to management that they can't just do anything and the cash registers ring.

Nirya

The talk about Disney needing a creative person near the top of the food chain had me thinking of who I would put in that spot, and honestly I keep falling back on Kevin Feige. Personally, I would hate it because it would mean someone else would be overseeing the day to day at Marvel, but it’s hard to argue with his track record. Feige started with Marvel not having access to their A-list heroes (Spider-man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four), so he took the B and C tier and turned them into a multi-billion dollar behemoth. And I don’t think people realize how difficult that task was with some of the choices; characters like Dr. Strange and Black Panther had a cult following at best, while the Guardians straight-up had one of the smallest Marvel fan bases you can have while still being relevant. And yet Guardians is now looking at it’s 3rd movie, Dr. Strange landed one of the most in-demand actors in its lead role, and Black Panther was nominated for a Best Picture Oscar.

While I think Marvel has had some missteps (the TV division has never been particularly strong outside Agents of Shield, and the Netflix series were average to terrible), it’s easy to look past them when looking at the totality of their success. Feige got Marvel Studios to the point where Sony came to them to make a deal so that they could fix Spider-man. And when Disney bought Fox, Feige was smart enough to recognize that they shouldn’t rush new X-Men movies into production, but wait awhile. That’s excellent brand management, and exactly what Disney needs at this point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom