OK, I'll Admit it...Disney Prices Are Out Of Control

jloucks

Agreed. I literally spend around $20K at Disney annually between food, tickets, and hotels. This is between only 2 guests visiting, not a large family. If I include my family, it’s probably more like $40K.

I think Disney also has a hard time (or maybe just doesn’t care) recognizing how often I and people like me come visit. That’s fine, but it seems I would get more upgrades or something resembling loyalty rewards, but I’m usually treated like a standard guest. It’s good treatment, but I think they could do a better job recognizing big spenders.
I feel the same way. At our peak, we were ooching up towards ~$15k a year, and then I suddenly stopped going (overcrowding). In hindsight I was a fool, but I sorta expected a serious exploratory reach-out from Disney as to why. Nope. Never happened. Apparently it does not matter if you spend $3k a year or $30k a year. Everyone gets the same bulk treatment and are all valued the same.

This of course can be viewed as good. ...unless of course you want my $15,000. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Hockey89

I feel the same way. At our peak, we were ooching up towards ~$15k a year, and then I suddenly stopped going (overcrowding). In hindsight I was a fool, but I sorta expected a serious exploratory reach-out from Disney as to why. Nope. Never happened. Apparently it does not matter if you spend $3k a year or $30k a year. Everyone gets the same bulk treatment and are all valued the same.

This of course can be viewed as good. ...unless of course you want my $15,000. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My parents/us have spent mid six figures easy over the last 20 years. Disney just doesn't care about it which I find sad, but it is such a huge operation so maybe it is impossible....

disneyflush

My last trip was last month. This was after 8 years of not visiting at all. We stayed at the Boardwalk as well.

My biggest takeaway was this: the experience itself, overall, is crafted to be so BIG, so planned, so 'scripted', that I went into it (after booking the room a year before I went and the meals 6 months before I went and the rides 2 months before I went, etc) believing that offering Disney this information so far in advance would allow them some type of ability to make my vacation 'even better'. That when my family passed under the Welcome sign that we could just shift into autopilot and float through the week via our meticulously pre-planned itinerary. But when we actually got through the first couple days it hit me that the 'Disney trip' I had planned had so much density and weight that it left me no room to shift direction at all when sudden things caused the need for changes on the fly.

Spontaneity is not ideal there. Super hot days where the kids want to leave early to get back to the resort caused reservation cancellations/changes, FP cancellations/changes with no good rides left (good rides being subjective obviously), cascade effects on many other things. And I realize most people on here would say 'You gotta plan for that' or 'You have to go with the flow' and look back on their multitude of visits to base this off of but this was our first trip in a long time, basically first time visitors since we'd never used Magic bands or electronic Fast Passes. I was not as adept at doing all of that as someone with an annual pass or DVC or whatever that has done it a ton. For first time guests, this experience can be overwhelming prior to going and then super frustrating once there as it plays out. We aren't especially price sensitive but the pricing all around is pretty breathtaking for just about everything. To the point where walking into Ghardelli and being given (for FREE!) a 50 cent piece of chocolate feels like finding water in the middle of a desert. Then to see attractions not fully staffed or poor food or poor service just exponentially increases the anger/frustration. Disney's marketing and reputation are both top notch and our expectations were set accordingly. I certainly had moments where my nostalgia pulled at my heartstrings but my kids have no desire to go back. A lot of me wishes they would have loved it but at least its easy to adjust and change directions in life when you aren't actually there.

jloucks

I certainly had moments where my nostalgia pulled at my heartstrings but my kids have no desire to go back. A lot of me wishes they would have loved it but at least its easy to adjust and change directions in life when you aren't actually there.

Wow, this should be a giant flashing red flag to Disney. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This make the nostalgic me also very sad to hear.

mdcpr

My last trip was last month. This was after 8 years of not visiting at all. We stayed at the Boardwalk as well.

My biggest takeaway was this: the experience itself, overall, is crafted to be so BIG, so planned, so 'scripted', that I went into it (after booking the room a year before I went and the meals 6 months before I went and the rides 2 months before I went, etc) believing that offering Disney this information so far in advance would allow them some type of ability to make my vacation 'even better'. That when my family passed under the Welcome sign that we could just shift into autopilot and float through the week via our meticulously pre-planned itinerary. But when we actually got through the first couple days it hit me that the 'Disney trip' I had planned had so much density and weight that it left me no room to shift direction at all when sudden things caused the need for changes on the fly.

Spontaneity is not ideal there. Super hot days where the kids want to leave early to get back to the resort caused reservation cancellations/changes, FP cancellations/changes with no good rides left (good rides being subjective obviously), cascade effects on many other things. And I realize most people on here would say 'You gotta plan for that' or 'You have to go with the flow' and look back on their multitude of visits to base this off of but this was our first trip in a long time, basically first time visitors since we'd never used Magic bands or electronic Fast Passes. I was not as adept at doing all of that as someone with an annual pass or DVC or whatever that has done it a ton. For first time guests, this experience can be overwhelming prior to going and then super frustrating once there as it plays out. We aren't especially price sensitive but the pricing all around is pretty breathtaking for just about everything. To the point where walking into Ghardelli and being given (for FREE!) a 50 cent piece of chocolate feels like finding water in the middle of a desert. Then to see attractions not fully staffed or poor food or poor service just exponentially increases the anger/frustration. Disney's marketing and reputation are both top notch and our expectations were set accordingly. I certainly had moments where my nostalgia pulled at my heartstrings but my kids have no desire to go back. A lot of me wishes they would have loved it but at least its easy to adjust and change directions in life when you aren't actually there.
What you explained, is what I fear the most. Our first family trip is in a November, and my thinking went from ‘we will do everything and it will be great’, to ‘I don’t mind if we do 4 rides in one day, we will cancel ADRs if we feel like it, and we can just hang out at the hotel.’

Hockey89

Wow, this should be a giant flashing red flag to Disney. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This make the nostalgic me also very sad to hear.
No question. I came to age when Disney was at it's best so I just love the place.

There were days when it rained when we planned to go to Blizzard Beach and go to a park instead. Get the paper FP and go... Now that is impossible.. They are killing the place with crowds, increased prices, and less service....

John park hopper

lol, that's your spin on it Pooh, don't put words in my post.

they should have a rewards program because it would be a great way to "appreciate" those who go often and gives them incentive to spend more. I was going with the logic of rewarding those who go frequently and drop a lot of cash at the parks.
pointing out that others successfully do is not a confirmation of the why.

I do think there are good programs that are out there that would work at the mouseworld.

I agree those who have been loyal supporters of Disney from the beginning and those who go frequently should be shown some sort of appreciation for their support. Many companies do this. When times get tough and the once or twice Disney guest stops going loyal supporters will still be there. In this respect IMO Disney is being short sighted.

Chef Mickey

Original Poster

Interesting points. I do feel there is some truth in the over-planning making the trip feel scripted. “On to the next thing” has become a mantra or families instead of enjoying the moment.

I can see it both ways though. The guarantee to ride a favorite with a minimal wait time is valuable and a step forward. It’s also a necessity of the times and the crowds. We have the technology and the crowds have increased to the point it’s necessary.

NOT having the ability to plan would likely be worse. Ideally, the crowds would be reduced and/or attractions increased to accommodate more guests without long waits. I think we need some of both.

Hockey89

I can see it both ways though. The guarantee to ride a favorite with a minimal wait time is valuable and a step forward. It’s also a necessity of the times and the crowds. We have the technology and the crowds have increased to the point it’s necessary.
I hear you but with the old FP system, I still got on every ride I wanted to with less waits on the "less" popular rides. Plus, it allowed you to say hey lets go to Blizzard beach because this will be the nicest day of the week... Now you can't... I know this has been beating to death, but it has lost magic bc it is so planned now.

rkleinlein

my kids have no desire to go back.
My kids have no desire to go back either. We had a fun trip a few years ago when they were 7 and 11 but I've been shocked that neither of them have ever asked to go back and have actually said no when we've offered to take them back. They'd both much rather go other places and do other things.

When I was a kid I was obsessed with Disney World (and, to a lesser degree still am, which is why I'm here writing this). I could have gone every year and still wanted more. As a parent, I realize my nostalgia for the place and my experience there 30 years ago strongly influence how I feel today. It wasn't nearly as fun for my kids who were experiencing it for the first time as it was for me who was experiencing it through the rosy lens of nostalgia.

Back in my day, Disney was sepcial. There was nothing comparable. Nothing. Today that's no longer the case. We took my kids to Universal the next year and they liked it as much--and in some respects even better--than Disney.

My kids will never have the same kind of nostalgia that I have and doubt that they will ever think Disney World is some kind rite of passage for their own children or be obliged to make a least one family pilgrimage--let alone more than one. I wonder what will happen when my generation of cradle to grave Disney enthusiasts gets replaced with my kids' generation.

bugsbunny

I haven't been on these forums for about 3 years since my last trip for all these reasons. The hard core pixie dust sniffers usually made up reasons why none of it were true. Apparently talking about this made a lot of people put their fingers in their ears and go "la, la, la, la, I'm not listening!" because they don't want to hear anything about the beloved icon. :joyfull: And a lot of "Nobody is making you pay these prices". Ya know, very intelligent conversation about this topic :rolleyes:

But, I will say that the market is bearing the current conditions. Achieving their goal of putting less people in the park will make for a better experience for the deep pocketed they are now targeting. Disney is artificially trying to create an "exclusive customer experience" by pricing itself into a well paying demographic. They will eventual squeeze out less fortunate folks who might actually pay attention to mundane details like the price of a steak or the color wrap on a bus or the fact the dining plan is nothing compared to all the things you got with it 10 years ago. No, all they are concerned with is if you are willing to have an "exclusive" fireworks viewing for an additional $79/person above park admission. Or remember those ridiculously priced "tents" you could rent for the day for like $500/day in Tomorrowland? People who don't think twice about spending that kind of money is who they want now.

Easily within the next 3-5 years, 1 day tickets will be $150 and you'll have to pay extra for "exclusive" FP+ offers or basically each night a park will close early for "exclusive" pay extra nights. It's the new business model and Disney realized they are leaving money on the table any place they can look. Charge more, have less open for the lesser folks. Get them out before it gets dark and then charge for another ticket for an "exclusive" event where you can get access to the things you normally cannot during the day. Pay for play! At that rate, WDW will almost be operating a 5th park every day since they are charging 2 seperate gate fees for 1 park each day.

Look at this excellent revenue opportunity to charge per night for parking at the hotels. They suddenly needed the TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars per hotel per night this was going to generate? For no other reason because they can. And now we are on the 3rd raise in that price in less than 2 years. Why? Because idiots like us keep coming back regardless of how absurd the pricing is! :joyfull:

By the way, the shareholders love this. So I doubt WDW business policy is suddenly going to reverse back to the days of "What would Walt do?" As cold as it is to say, either you are going to pay increased prices PLUS extra to have a better experience or you can go back to steerage with the rest of the herd.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Look at this excellent revenue opportunity to charge per night for parking at the hotels. They suddenly needed the TENS of THOUSANDS of dollars per hotel per night this was going to generate? For no other reason because they can.
I won't argue the rest of your post, but this point misses the mark. The reason for overnight parking fees is not to generate parking fee revenue. The purpose is to push guests away from renting a car, which would result in incremental F&B and merch revenue.

bugsbunny

I won't argue the rest of your post, but this point misses the mark. The reason for overnight parking fees is not to generate parking fee revenue. The purpose is to push guests away from renting a car, which would result in incremental F&B and merch revenue.
Either way, directly or indirectly, the goal is to get every dime possibly left on the table. You want to drive here, I'm still taking the cost of a T-shirt from you every day :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom