News Beaches & Cream closing Aug 5 for refurb and expansion

TrojanUSC

Good news, definitely needs an expansion.

On a side note would love to see hotel guests have first dibs on restaurants at their resorts. Nothing more annoying than staying at a resort and not being able to get a reservation. Ohana I am looking at you.

It's a bit insane when you're paying $600-700/night and you can't eat table service at your own hotel.

They ran into this problem in a big way at the Contemporary, which has a big convention business. This is what led to The Wave.

dawnfire

Original Poster
Any chance we'll be able to get the Kitchen Sink anywhere else? Staying at Beach Club in November, was hoping to take the kids there 😔

From what CM were told, the Kitchen Sink will not be available during the refurb. They are planning on offering a limited menu of ice cream items at a temporary location while Beaches is closed. That could change, so be sure to check while you are visiting.

JusticeDisney

Does anyone know if the arcade will be moved or reopened in some other location? I can’t really think of where that other location could even be, but I find it hard to believe that a place that caters to kids as much as the BC does would have no arcade anywhere on its grounds.

WDWYankee15

Does anyone know if the arcade will be moved or reopened in some other location? I can’t really think of where that other location could even be, but I find it hard to believe that a place that caters to kids as much as the BC does would have no arcade anywhere on its grounds.
That arcade is pretty big. Are they using all the space for B&C? Also, I have no issue with getting rid of arcades.

Missing20K

Some of my favorite Disney memories growing up were at the arcade on off-park days or after the parks closed. Siblings and new friends all battling it out while our parents did parent stuff.

I guess I'm getting old. Kids don't go to arcades anymore?

Biff215

Other resort arcades that were replaced failed to reappear, and like you said, there’s not really an obvious alternative.
That arcade is pretty big. Are they using all the space for B&C? Also, I have no issue with getting rid of arcades.
I don’t think it’s been confirmed, but it is a big space so maybe something will survive. I personally doubt it though. My ideal setup would preserve the existing restaurant for quick service ice cream, providing needed seating that is currently only available outside. This would also allow the bar seating to stay. I would then use the arcade for the table service section, along with an expanded kitchen.
If video game systems didn’t kill the arcade concept then the smartphone/tablet certainly did. More arcade games are based on apps today rather than the opposite way around. My kids love the arcade but they don’t have phones and they’re also the minority today. There are always a handful of people in there, but even at Disney’s prices that can’t possibly generate the income an expanded B&C can. I’m not typically supportive of a financial decision like this, but to me this one makes sense and pluses the resort as a whole.

WDWYankee15

My ideal setup would preserve the existing restaurant for quick service ice cream, providing needed seating that is currently only available outside. This would also allow the bar seating to stay. I would then use the arcade for the table service section, along with an expanded kitchen.

That would be great.

Animewarsdude

Any chance we'll be able to get the Kitchen Sink anywhere else? Staying at Beach Club in November, was hoping to take the kids there 😔
Not the same thing but I think Magic Kingdom might still have the Wreck it Ralph Sunday Challenge when you go if you wanted to have a somewhat similar option.

ryguy

Some of my favorite Disney memories growing up were at the arcade on off-park days or after the parks closed. Siblings and new friends all battling it out while our parents did parent stuff.

I too enjoyed the Disney arcades in the 1980's, the Contemporary's was the bomb. That being said I am a much bigger fan of Ice cream now and therefore looking forward to an easier time stuffing my face. :p

SteveAZee

I too enjoyed the Disney arcades in the 1980's, the Contemporary's was the bomb. That being said I am a much bigger fan of Ice cream now and therefore looking forward to an easier time stuffing my face. :p
That was one of the best things for me about Disney Quest... being able to play the "old" games like Robotron et. al. as if I were still in the '80s.

Club Cooloholic

Other resort arcades that were replaced failed to reappear, and like you said, there’s not really an obvious alternative.

I don’t think it’s been confirmed, but it is a big space so maybe something will survive. I personally doubt it though. My ideal setup would preserve the existing restaurant for quick service ice cream, providing needed seating that is currently only available outside. This would also allow the bar seating to stay. I would then use the arcade for the table service section, along with an expanded kitchen.

If video game systems didn’t kill the arcade concept then the smartphone/tablet certainly did. More arcade games are based on apps today rather than the opposite way around. My kids love the arcade but they don’t have phones and they’re also the minority today. There are always a handful of people in there, but even at Disney’s prices that can’t possibly generate the income an expanded B&C can. I’m not typically supportive of a financial decision like this, but to me this one makes sense and pluses the resort as a whole.
There is a new arcade/bowling place that is sprouting up now around the country. Its called Round1 and they have lots of japanese type prizes and games. It does pretty well. Also the arcade at Cabana Bay at Uni always seems packed, but they also have a good prize counter

richg35

On a side note would love to see hotel guests have first dibs on restaurants at their resorts. Nothing more annoying than staying at a resort and not being able to get a reservation. Ohana I am looking at you.
It's a bit insane when you're paying $600-700/night and you can't eat table service at your own hotel.

These are ridiculous expectations. How many reservations are hotel restaurants supposed to hold out on the chance that a hotel guest wants to eat there? This would totally break the restaurant economic model.

There is no hotel restaurant anywhere that is saving reservations for guests only. If you're vacationing in a big city and hotel has a popular restaurant, you need to make a reservation there early enough just like everyone else. The restaurant would be leaving money on the table if it wasn't trying to fill every table every night.

When someone decides to pay $600 a night for a hotel, they are paying that much for lodging. Those people can eat table service at their hotel - by logging in and making ADRs as appropriately necessary for that hotel.

ryguy

These are ridiculous expectations. How many reservations are hotel restaurants supposed to hold out on the chance that a hotel guest wants to eat there? This would totally break the restaurant economic model.

There is no hotel restaurant anywhere that is saving reservations for guests only. If you're vacationing in a big city and hotel has a popular restaurant, you need to make a reservation there early enough just like everyone else. The restaurant would be leaving money on the table if it wasn't trying to fill every table every night.

When someone decides to pay $600 a night for a hotel, they are paying that much for lodging. Those people can eat table service at their hotel - by logging in and making ADRs as appropriately necessary for that hotel.
Why couldn't they do it like they do fast passes? Hotel guests get first dibs during a certain window. 60, 90, 120 days out. Took me 3 seconds to solve the problem. No way that breaks the restaurant model. 30 days should be the window to book restaurants and fast passes. Anything more than that is stupid. And certainly not guest friendly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom