Kathleen Kennedy Emerges From Bunker to Name New SVP

Disney Irish

Premium Member
what?!?

You went “faux victim patronizing hypothetical hyperbole”??

I’ll give you credit for keeping me guessing on that set piece 😯

Thank you, I thought it was a well crafted post of hyperbole.... :p

So lets ask some questions...and assume that each involves more merchansing revenue (easy profit)

What were the goals of the Star Wars purchase and reboot?

1. Balance fandom to the female demographics
2. Take the appeal away from what the OT was - which was male, waspy types in NATO countries and spread that out across demographics
3. Crack “developing markets”...notably china
4. Build a bridge to the OT money heavies that were disillusioned by what Lucas did with the prequels - mainly concentrating on the child fan to buy another generation of loyalists.
5. Make the movies both appeal to purists but also manage to hook kids as the OT did. Few movies have as much all age appeal over time.

So honest question - and use little words cause I’m not as bright and deep as you - have any of those been done?
Honest questions.
Ok, these 5 points are all basically saying the same thing just in different ways.

But yes some have been done better than others, but not 100%. For example hooking kids is working, specifically the young girls are captivated by Rey.

Examples from Disneyland:

Its these younglings that will grow up with Disney's Star Wars as "their" Star Wars. While the OT will be part of lore it won't be "their" Star Wars. You can say it begins with the parents, but if so why are the parents not dressing them as Leia. Could it be that perhaps its breaking through that there are those from an older generation that actually likes Disney's Star Wars, hmmm.....

On the foreign front there have been struggles, yes indeed. But they have managed to ink out 2.5B for all four movies in foreign markets. So its not like they are completely bombing especially considering SW is fairly new to markets like China. So as these markets get more acclimated with Star Wars they consume it just like Marvel which has a longer history in foreign markets.

Long story short, in my opinion, there have been struggles trying to balance the OT fan base (the backlash) while trying to bring on new fans from the next generations. There will continue to be bumps, but as the Skywalker saga ends and new SW stories are told the new fan base will take over as the majority.

Janir

Was she doing interviews to the Hollywood or business press as she had before?

It’s a bit of context. That is a zealot Star Wars comic con...not likely to find too many vocal dissenters there
There were a ton of vocal dissenters there. Lots of Kennedy grumbling at every booth and workshop. Surprised me actually. I didn't think the larger fan base had that much of an issue with her as they did.
She did do some interviews and presentations.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
You were the one who broached the topic, so reply to your insinuation that representative quotas should be a part of the productions. Why can't a story just be a story anymore ?
Actually you started this topic of race. And I'm choosing to exit it. However I will leave it with this.

A story is still a story, so it shouldn't matter the color of the actors skin playing the parts.

Respond, don't respond, I don't care. This is the end of this particular topic for me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There were a ton of vocal dissenters there. Lots of Kennedy grumbling at every booth and workshop. Surprised me actually. I didn't think the larger fan base had that much of an issue with her as they did.
She did do some interviews and presentations.
That’s surprising considering it’s only a few Internet trolls and everything is fine. It was just that people were “too sleepy” to watch Star Wars movies in 2018

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually you started this topic of race. And I'm choosing to exit it. However I will leave it with this.

A story is still a story, so it shouldn't matter the color of the actors skin playing the parts.

Respond, don't respond, I don't care. This is the end of this particular topic for me.
Actually it doesn’t matter who brought it up.

Let’s not BS each other: the concern is valid. I think it’s actually overblown...unlike the backlash...

But there obviously was some thought to demographics. The denials never passed the common sense sniff test.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Thank you, I thought it was a well crafted post of hyperbole.... :p

Ok, these 5 points are all basically saying the same thing just in different ways.

But yes some have been done better than others, but not 100%. For example hooking kids is working, specifically the young girls are captivated by Rey.

Examples from Disneyland:

Its these younglings that will grow up with Disney's Star Wars as "their" Star Wars. While the OT will be part of lore it won't be "their" Star Wars. You can say it begins with the parents, but if so why are the parents not dressing them as Leia. Could it be that perhaps its breaking through that there are those from an older generation that actually likes Disney's Star Wars, hmmm.....

On the foreign front there have been struggles, yes indeed. But they have managed to ink out 2.5B for all four movies in foreign markets. So its not like they are completely bombing especially considering SW is fairly new to markets like China. So as these markets get more acclimated with Star Wars they consume it just like Marvel which has a longer history in foreign markets.

Long story short, in my opinion, there have been struggles trying to balance the OT fan base (the backlash) while trying to bring on new fans from the next generations. There will continue to be bumps, but as the Skywalker saga ends and new SW stories are told the new fan base will take over as the majority.

Leia was dead before she was actually dead, dude. So I don’t know what point you got there.

And there were a lot of kid fans of the prequels...I’m sure there a lot of the “ambiguous trilogy” as well...so I’m quite sure that is working some.

But what are the sales figures? How are the marketing studies doing in regards to Rey? Or Finn? That’s the real measure - the non dedicated fans.

And I really don’t want to have to say this...but you scoffed at me for saying you don’t only consider Disney fans opinions...
...and then you posted the captive Disneyland audience as proof of something larger than just the Disney thing.

You put yourself right back into the box...you were born free, my friend!!! Get out of it!!

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Leia was dead before she was actually dead, dude. So I don’t know what point you got there.

And there were a lot of kid fans of the prequels...I’m sure there a lot of the “ambiguous trilogy” as well...so I’m quite sure that is working some.

But what are the sales figures? How are the marketing studies doing in regards to Rey? Or Finn? That’s the real measure - the non dedicated fans.

And I really don’t want to have to say this...but you scoffed at me for saying you don’t only consider Disney fans opinions...
...and then you posted the captive Disneyland audience as proof of something larger than just the Disney thing.

You put yourself right back into the box...you were born free, my friend!!! Get out of it!!
Well first they’re not captive, it’s not like Disney sold them these outfits right in the parks. They bought them outside the parks, put them on their kids at home, and brought the kids to the parks.

And second the videos were just easy quick examples I could find.

Anyways we’re not going to see eye-to-eye on this, and that’s fine. I’ll give you credit for holding firm on your opinion. But I just see things differently. Like I said before it Ep9 bombs then I may change my mind. But until then we’ll just have to wait and see and agree to disagree on this topic.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Of all the Disney star wars, Rouge one has been the one I've re-watched the most as well. Is it a coincidence that it's the one Disney star wars film that feels firmly rooted in the OT? Not at all.

I don’t know what the original, “awful” version that Kennedy has alluded to looked like...before they reshot/rewrote parts of it...

Honestly...I’m not even sure I believe it went down that way...but there another day...

But the deal is that it hit the right notes. They did a couple weenies. Admiral radus and the couple of Vader scenes notably struck the right notes. And the score was surprisingly good...actually better than the episodes.

Some things just worked. A thing I have batted around is this: it was a star WAR. Fleets, armies, fighters...

7 and 8 have pooched that incredibly. None of the originals were a “ragtag band”. It’s the biggest false description of Star Wars ever. Those were epic at the time. And though George went too far...they still need to be epic.

Car chases and 2 ships ain’t cutting it. Make a damn Star Wars movie.

And R1 has major problems for me. The daddy issues are painful and her doing speeches and “leading” makes not the tiniest bit of sense.

But they got some other things right.

So why? In the weirdest of things...was Gareth Edwards thrown off the island?? There’s a lot of LFL backstory that hopefully comes out eventually.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well first they’re not captive, it’s not like Disney sold them these outfits right in the parks. They bought them outside the parks, put them on their kids at home, and brought the kids to the parks.

And second the videos were just easy quick examples I could find.

Anyways we’re not going to see eye-to-eye on this, and that’s fine. I’ll give you credit for holding firm on your opinion. But I just see things differently. Like I said before it Ep9 bombs then I may change my mind. But until then we’ll just have to wait and see and agree to disagree on this topic.

This isn’t an “unhealthy” disagreement at all. It’s fine to look at it from different angles and see what happens.

But Disney park patrons tend to be captive...they didn’t Just see a sign on the 5 and decide to make an hour stop. Not at those prices...

And episode 9 isn’t going to Bomb. They’ll pump the cult of abrams and get a big box office.
That however does not mean Star Wars is secure or the movie isn’t crap. Not at all. You’re sandbagging your “open mind” there.

The farce awakens is a dull reboot that introduced no compelling characters. Nothing to do with the fervor and box office when it came. That’s what it really is.
That could be because 8 was a train wreck...but none of that can be changed now.

They’re releasing a movie with billy dee Williams and felicity dressed as boba fett. Again...I wish I was making that up. 😳

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Actually it doesn’t matter who brought it up.

Let’s not BS each other: the concern is valid. I think it’s actually overblown...unlike the backlash...

But there obviously was some thought to demographics. The denials never passed the common sense sniff test.
It’s only a concern for those that want to see an ethnic problem in Star Wars.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This isn’t an “unhealthy” disagreement at all. It’s fine to look at it from different angles and see what happens.

But Disney park patrons tend to be captive...they didn’t Just see a sign on the 5 and decide to make an hour stop. Not at those prices...

And episode 9 isn’t going to Bomb. They’ll pump the cult of abrams and get a big box office.
That however does not mean Star Wars is secure or the movie isn’t crap. Not at all. You’re sandbagging your “open mind” there.

The farce awakens is a dull reboot that introduced no compelling characters. Nothing to do with the fervor and box office when it came. That’s what it really is.
That could be because 8 was a train wreck...but none of that can be changed now.

They’re releasing a movie with billy dee Williams and felicity dressed as boba fett. Again...I wish I was making that up. 😳

If we're really going to discuss this and you want me to see it from your angle. Then I want a full complete honest answer, no more of your half sentences and little digs.

What in your opinion would make Star Wars "right"?

Again I want a full complete answer if you please.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Then adieu, your straw person argument holds as much value as three day old fish, it doesn't pass the smell test and becomes more apparently wrong the longer it lingers.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Also I’m not sure where you think this cult of Abrams is coming from that they can pump up. None of his other films even came close to breaking 1B. So unless every single Abrams cultist buys like 20 tickets each there is no way they can pump that cult enough to cross 1B. So if it does cross 1B or higher then that means fans actually will have to be watching it, and maybe even more than once...

erasure fan1

So if it does cross 1B or higher then that means fans actually will have to be watching it, and maybe even more than once...
Now granted, I'm not the end all be all and I'm just a small sample size. But I can say that the vast majority of people I know, family, friends, colleagues... came in on the didn't care for to just Meh side of the spectrum on last jedi. But everyone says they are looking forward to seeing how the saga ends. So unless the movie is just a complete abomination, it will do a nice box office. And I firmly believe that the "ruin Johnson" last jedi haters who said they will boycott ep9, will be first in line. No chance they miss the opportunity to either say in their youtube vids "see Disney killed star wars, it was terrible!" Or "see, we made a stand and Disney listened to us and fixed the problems!" I just think not a a lot of people will sit this one out. But as we talked about, the quality of 9 could impact the buy in on what's next.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom