Some what Disappointing?

nol_dur

Original Poster
I took a trip in January 2019. The trip had problems with weather and Castaway Cay was rained out. This made my trip feel underwhelming and not really worth it compared to other cruises. I liked almost everything but yet it feels disappointing. Did anyone else get this feeling?

ChuckElias

I'm very thankful that I've never missed Castaway Cay on one of our cruises. If I did, I definitely would also be disappointed. However, I also love all the shows and the ship and the restaurants. So while I would be sad about missing Castaway Cay, I would still love being with DCL. Just my personal opinion.

Club Cooloholic

Our first cruise I a Disney ship it rained when we were at Castaway, we did not even bother going to the beach. That said we had a great time. Not for nothing but I keep my expectations pretty low for winter cruises, of the boat makes it through without too much rough seas it's a win in my book, then again I was in a ship that was literally nearly calling for life boats for around 15 hours of a Noreaster on January cruise so it's all rose's compared to that.

Jonathan Dalecki

I always figure if they can't make it to Castaway Cay, it's for a good reason. I was on one of the inaugural Star Wars cruises with no less a celebrity than Neal Patrick Harris, plus a LOT of upper level execs. Rough weather kept us from making berth at CC, even though they tried a good four times. So if they won't force it for VIPs and top company people, there's a good reason, and that's because safety comes first. So even though I agree it's a bummer, as a guest it makes me feel valued, and they always try to add a TON of onboard activities to make up for it.

nol_dur

Original Poster
I always figure if they can't make it to Castaway Cay, it's for a good reason. I was on one of the inaugural Star Wars cruises with no less a celebrity than Neal Patrick Harris, plus a LOT of upper level execs. Rough weather kept us from making berth at CC, even though they tried a good four times. So if they won't force it for VIPs and top company people, there's a good reason, and that's because safety comes first. So even though I agree it's a bummer, as a guest it makes me feel valued, and they always try to add a TON of onboard activities to make up for it.
We were able to go the island but all of the activities were shut down. (I did get good photos on the bright side)

nol_dur

Original Poster
It rained for part of the day the last time I was at Castaway Key. But you know what? We got over ourselves and enjoyed it anyway!
Maybe I should of been more specific but the rain made us leave the island early, around 11 o’clock. I would be fine with rain and still experience the island, it’s just we couldn’t do anything because we had to leave early and everything was shut down.

joanna71985

Unfortunately that's life (I was on the Fantasy during Hurricane Sandy, and we couldn't make it to the island at all). Safety is very important to Disney. And honestly- if there was bad weather, I don't think you would have wanted to be around water

C&D

"Safety first", at least that's what they say. We had a port of call cancelled on our last cruise (St. Martin) but the Captain explained he could have made it (late though) and it probably wouldn't have provided a very smooth ride so as Jack (Sparrow) said once: "I'm good with it" And hopefully, there will be a next time (for you); I know there will be for me.

Last edited:

jaklgreen

Maybe I should of been more specific but the rain made us leave the island early, around 11 o’clock. I would be fine with rain and still experience the island, it’s just we couldn’t do anything because we had to leave early and everything was shut down.

On my cruise last year I was going for the first time without my kids so I was planning on finally enjoying the adult beach. We got there and I made the long trek to the adult beach and settled in when they announced that a storm was coming and that everyone needed to take shelter. It looked bad so I decided to just go back to the ship. I was one of the last ones on before they shut everything down and stopped allowing people back on. Those still on the island had to take shelter there because the storm was so bad. They ended up bringing all of the food from Cookies to the ship and serve at Cabanas. Of course, I was disappointed but that's how it goes. I found myself a place in the adult area and read my book there. The way that I look at my vacations is that it is still better the be on a ship, rain and all, then be at work. Unless I get really sick or injured(which so far has never happened) on my vacations, I consider them to be great vacations.

Ralphlaw

We once mostly missed CC due to high winds. The Fantasy was late in docking, and i couldn't go snorkeling once we finally docked. Very disappointing.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Sounds like the weather for cruising in the Bahamas and Caribbean this past January just wasn't good in general. We were on the Fantasy, Jan 19-26. Our CC day wasn't rained out, but most activities were cancelled and it was maybe 70F, cloudy, and breezy. Still made a good day of it. :) Had excursions cancelled at Grand Cayman, and we were late getting into Cozumel because the seas were so rough after we left Port Canaveral.

jloucks

I took a trip in January 2019. The trip had problems with weather and Castaway Cay was rained out. This made my trip feel underwhelming and not really worth it compared to other cruises. I liked almost everything but yet it feels disappointing. Did anyone else get this feeling?
That happens in all cruise lines.

True story.. last cruise we went on (not Disney), we flew all the way to New Orleans (from Dallas Texas) so that we could visit the private island owned by the cruise line. For whatever reason, the Galveston departure never visits the island. Anywho, because of weather, we spend the night in the airport and arrive pretty beat up from the git-go. Oh, and here is the kick to the nads,,, the visit to the private island was cancelled!! We spend $1000 in airfare and a night in the airport for nothing! We were all so ticked off. But, we learned something, never count on a private island visit, ever. Certainly don't go out of yoru way to get one. If it happens, great, but don't get your hopes up.

Our last Disney Cruise, thank goodness they did not shut down the whole island, but they did shut down large parts of it cancelling many of the amenities and activities.

EOD K9

We took a 5 nighter last month with two stops at CC. We docked but there was terrible lightning and sideways rain. Not too long after we made it to the island, we were told to seek shelter. Fortunately, we were sheltered at Cookie's and ate. I think we got back on the boat at 2ish. The rain was so bad that it was very difficult to see the island. Is it disappointing...yes, but things like that happen.

Surfin' Tuna

I had to really think about it to realize that we also got rained out once at CC. I've also had baseball games I wanted to attend rained out. I've also been unable to swim for the same reason. It's not ideal, but it's life. You could also vacation in Death Valley; they don't get a lot of rain.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom