News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

drod1985

So, $200 bucks to build a lightsaber x 14 participants = $2,800 per cycle.

Disney is probably shooting for 3 cycles per hour (15 minute show; clearing the crowd; seating a new group) = $8,400 per hour.

A 16 hour day (open 8:00 to midnight) = $134,400 per day.

How can I get into the lightsaber business?

If you want your lightsaber business to be that profitable then you have to start with a theme park business with world wide appeal and then get a license to use the Star Wars brand.

Plenty of third parties are in the saber business selling higher quality sabers than these - and they're making nowhere near what Disney will be making.

But these are different products for different market segments.

Mac Tonight

What they might like to fly in and of itself is one thing.
What made the most sense to make an attraction out of - and what most Star Wars fans would like to experience more in depth is the Falcon.
While I can respect your opinions and position on the issue, its statements like that, that really need to be backed up by hard data to be believed. Otherwise its just pure speculation and hearsay. It's also the default "easy" position to stand behind because they ultimately did build the Falcon.

Jones14

Remember, you would be going through an exact replica, ONLY seeing your 5 co-riders, and seemlessly leaving through a different exact duplicate hallway.
Sure, as a walkthrough.
In your opinion. In mine, most guests would walk through the interior and wonder why there's no ride at the end of the nice looking queue, because if they could spend the money on us flying an X-wing, why not the Falcon? At least my family could've all ridden in the same cockpit if they had made this a ride.

Mac Tonight

In your opinion. In mine, most guests would walk through the interior and wonder why there's no ride at the end of the nice looking queue, because if they could spend the money on us flying an X-wing, why not the Falcon? At least my family could've all ridden in the same cockpit if they had made this a ride.

A family of 6 could have ridden in the X-Wing too.
star-wars-x-wing-coaster-jpg.375201

Jones14

A family of 6 could have ridden in the X-Wing too.
star-wars-x-wing-coaster-jpg.375201
In that particular mock-up, yeah, but then we’d be circling back to the “that’s not an exact replica of how it looks in the movies” people.

The point is, theme parks are always straddling that line between simple fun and immersion into the stories they’re telling, and Disney decided that the Falcon would check both of those boxes better than any of the other ships in the series.

Saying most people would prefer the Falcon remains to be seen (and really only by Disney’s data collection people), but to go in the opposite direction and say most people would rather fly an X-Wing is even more of a grand assumption.

Mac Tonight

In that particular mock-up, yeah, but then we’d be circling back to the “that’s not an exact replica of how it looks in the movies” people.

The point is, theme parks are always straddling that line between simple fun and immersion into the stories they’re telling, and Disney decided that the Falcon would check both of those boxes better than any of the other ships in the series.

Saying most people would prefer the Falcon remains to be seen (and really only by Disney’s data collection people), but to go in the opposite direction and say most people would rather fly an X-Wing is even more of a grand assumption.
Unless Disney conducted some mystery survey on the subject, we're both assuming that they care which one guests would prefer. All of SW:GE was thought up in executive-led board meetings where any and all ideas were likely thrown around. This is just the one they got approved.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The difference is: you don’t have to buy a wand to experience Olivanders. You don’t need to buy the photo to meet one of the princesses. The experience requires you to make a purchase; it is a shop that includes performance.

So it's not just a shop... now you get it.

I doubt you'd exclude other experiences as 'attractions' simply because you have to pay to play.

If you're bothered by the exclusion.. then just own up to what actually bothers you. It can't be because it's not a ride... or that it's pay to play.

TROR

Nothing ever will because it's not real. The goal should not be to appease them since they can never be truly appeased.

Mac Tonight

Nothing ever will because it's not real. The goal should not be to appease them since they can never be truly appeased.
Yeah... tell that to the people who complain about the Matterhorn mountain not being to scale!

Also, that was a joke. No one does or ever should complain about something like that.

fctiger

For most people, the Millenium Falcon has become the Enterprise of the Star Wars saga. Sure people love the X Wing fighter, but they are a dime a dozen. The MF is one of a kind in the SW universe. Most fans have dreamed of being in that cockpit. A third of the OT took place right on that ship from ANH to ROTJ. I have no idea where people are getting the idea the X Wing fighter is something fans want to ride in? Sure they are cool but you would have to be an idiot not to base a ride on the hunk of junk of the galaxy.

The MF is essentially the Sleeping Beauty castle of GE for a reason. No one is going to gravitate around an X Wing fighter like that. They are also in the land and I hardly hear anyone talking about them in the reviews which should tell you everything.

truecoat

For most people, the Millenium Falcon has become the Enterprise of the Star Wars saga. Sure people love the X Wing fighter, but they are a dime a dozen. The MF is one of a kind in the SW universe. Most fans have dreamed of being in that cockpit. A third of the OT took place right on that ship from ANH to ROTJ. I have no idea where people are getting the idea the X Wing fighter is something fans want to ride in? Sure they are cool but you would have to be an idiot not to base a ride on the hunk of junk of the galaxy.

The MF is essentially the Sleeping Beauty castle of GE for a reason. No one is going to gravitate around an X Wing fighter like that. They are also in the land and I hardly hear anyone talking about them in the reviews which should tell you everything.

An X-Wing blew up the first Death Star.

Mac Tonight

So you agree that it should have been a walk-through experience then??? 🤓

Look, I'll give you that the Falcon is iconic. I'm not suggesting it shouldn't be a part of GE. All I am saying is that if you showed me those Death Star coaster plans alongside Smuggler's Run and asked me which I'd rather go on, I'd pick the Death Star a hundred times over.

Last edited:

fctiger

So you mean it should have been a walk-through experience then??? 🤓

Look, I'll give you that the Falcon is iconic. I'm not suggesting it shouldn't be a part of GE. All I am saying is that if you showed me those Death Star coaster plans alongside Smuggler's Run and asked me which I'd rather go on, I'd pick the Death Star a hundred times over.

Fair enough! And for the record if they did something like that of course I probably would've loved it too. I'm just equally looking forward to SR, but its probably ROTR that will have everyone's jaw dropping end of the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom