Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If there isn't a Star Wars restaurant will people just not eat, or will they go offsite? They will probably just eat somewhere else on property so removing it doesn't necessarily create a huge impact on profits.

TSR with entertainment has a much higher profit margin then having people go to the QSs.

Disney Analyst

TSR with entertainment has a much higher profit margin then having people go to the QSs.

It really depends what kind of entertainment experience we are talking here. Is this a show? If so, you are then limited to a certain amount of seatings. For instance a 5PM and an 8 PM. Or is this dinner with entertainment and they seat as they see fit?

Lensman

Yes, but it also would create a lot of logistical challenges when the land first opens. They probably decided that the extra revenue just wasn't worth it at this point.
Lol, I believe that's sort of what @MisterPenguin was saying in the first place that all the other people are disagreeing about - that it wasn't saving money but something else that caused Disney to postpone the restaurant.

doctornick

Lol, I believe that's sort of what @MisterPenguin was saying in the first place that all the other people are disagreeing about - that it wasn't saving money but something else that caused Disney to postpone the restaurant.

I'd also point out that if "saving money" was the main driver then they could have built a restaurant without any peformance elements. A SW themed sit down restaurant wouldn't have been too costly to build relatively to similar venues - I mean, they are building the Space one for example - and would have certainly made a healthy sum quickly.

I just don't buy that cost was the main factor for this particular issue.

I firmly believe that we'll see a TS restaurant built in that space eventually. It may very well be a "value engineered" version, but this looks far more like a postponement that a never going to happen cut.

Disney Analyst

I'd also point out that if "saving money" was the main driver then they could have built a restaurant without any peformance elements. A SW themed sit down restaurant wouldn't have been too costly to build relatively to similar venues - I mean, they are building the Space one for example - and would have certainly made a healthy sum quickly.

I firmly believe that we'll see a TS restaurant built in that space eventually. It may very well be a "value engineered" version, but this looks far more like a postponement that a never going to happen cut.

I mean. If we are to assume Disney designed this for Disneyland first, and the models do not show the building in question... I think it’s safe to assume Disney had an idea how they wanted to roll this out over there for a while... With the reservations and no standby and virtual queue. I would bet they didn’t want to muddy things with dinner reservations.

nickys

Premium Member
I can understand them not wanting to dal with TS reservations at a time when Galaxy’s Edge is mobbed. The last thing they need when the land is at capacity is to have to then let in those with ADRs.

It seems strange not to have built it in the first place. I know it would still be possible to build it later, but it seems it would have been easier to have built it at the start. Even getting materials and equipment to the location will be a PITA. However I guess having it built and not opening during “Phase 1” would lead to guests demanding to know why. This way, only those on forums and sites like this will know it should be there. :(

flynnibus

Premium Member

Even if you kept it full or limited... holding it back now gives you a well defined concept to keep in your back pocket to have ready for expansion plans and 'whats new' fodder to keep interest fresh 3+ years from now. It's not something that will age out or become irrelevant either. So it's a natural piece to hold back for future expansion.

The main argument for 'now' would be is if there is a deficiency of food offerings in the park that is being asked to be filled...

IMDREW

If they’re making the TSR space an overflow queue for MFSR, what happens to the sightlines of the land from that space? Would kind of break the immersiveness right?

Marc Davis Fan

If they’re making the TSR space an overflow queue for MFSR, what happens to the sightlines of the land from that space? Would kind of break the immersiveness right?

Maybe they’ll build a temporary structure for the switchback area, with inexpensive theming?

Presumably they’ll do thit same somewhere for the RotR overflow queue when that opens...

TJJohn12

nickys

Premium Member
The location has backstage access. It won’t be hard at all.

Thanks! I thought it was at the back of the Cantina building. Which, in turn, I thought was right in the middle of things.

The two huge ride buildings are at the edge of the land. So I assumed everything else was therefore in the middle of the land, bar the berm between TSL and SW:GE . Hmmm, I need to go look at a map again.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thanks! I thought it was at the back of the Cantina building. Which, in turn, I thought was right in the middle of things.

The two huge ride buildings are at the edge of the land. So I assumed everything else was therefore in the middle of the land, bar the berm between TSL and SW:GE . Hmmm, I need to go look at a map again.

Located here:

Judging from comments from CM's, I think I've got the placing figured out. @The_Mesh_Hatter can correct me if I'm wrong.

The building just to the south of the Falcon ride circled in blue is Oga's Cantina. Directly south and west of that is a big open plot of land outlined in red that was recently paved over with blacktop according to bioreconstruct's Twitter. I've edited one of bioreconstruct's photos taken last week.

View attachment 372427

If they start building the dinner theater restaurant on June 1st, 2019, it's not going to open for another two years. My bet is we don't see the restaurant open in this spot until 2022 at the very earliest. Maybe not for five or ten years, based on how Burbank lowball and defer and delay their investments in the parks.

nickys

Premium Member
Located here:

I still can’t figure out where that is at DHS though.

The second picture, with added coloured outlines is at DL. And I thought that where the Rivers of America is would be roughly where TSL is at DHS.

Extrapolating from that assumption, I placed Oga’s slap bang in the middle of GE at DHS. As in, half way between TSL and the big ride buildings. But clearly it isn’t!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom