Heat and humidity tips

zeebs758

In the Parks
Yes
This might have been said already but go to parks early in the morning. Then leave in the afternoon and came back in the evening/night. This will keep you out of the sun for most of the day.

Ricky Spanish

Seems like these single-bottle packets are just what the walker ordered...
View attachment 372803
ETA: Based on the price breakdown, you'd be WAY better off buying the 51 ounce tub of powder and breaking it out into .10 ounce packets yourself. You can buy little baggies and load 'em up before your trip.

Just be prepared to answer "what's in the little bags" questions at TSA and bag check... ;)
I actually have 3 of the 51 oz containers of Gatorade in my cabinets right now!
And I do take baggies with Gatorade powder with me into the parks, it helps with the skunky Disney water fountains.
Bag check has never asked and I don't have to worry about TSA.

eliza61nyc

I hate to break it to you, but in the FL humidity, those don't work. Evaporation is what cools you off. If the water and/or your sweat isn't evaporating readily, the addition of extra water won't help. There will be an instantaneous cooling from the ice in the water, but that's really it. After that you're just hot and wet.

I've done a lot of work with evaporative heat transfer, so this is scientific, not just an opinion.

I think the ones with the fans help evaporate off the water. or at least "blow" the water off.

wombat

Anyone care to share their tips for beating the heat and humidity in Florida? I see that it has already been surface of the sun hot, so I'm hoping we all have tips to share! I'm going in July, so I'm looking for some great ideas on how to stay cool-ish and feeling fresh-ish.

Besides drinking lots of water and using sunscreen, what tips do you have?
Take a small towel with you and wet it as often as possible, then place it on the back of your neck. The evaporation will help to cool you down. Keep it wet with water from drinking fountains/restrooms or a bottle of water

yaksplat

I think the ones with the fans help evaporate off the water. or at least "blow" the water off.

But that's what I'm saying. The water can't evaporate. The air can't hold much more water than it already has in it in those conditions.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I hate to break it to you, but in the FL humidity, those don't work. Evaporation is what cools you off. If the water and/or your sweat isn't evaporating readily, the addition of extra water won't help. There will be an instantaneous cooling from the ice in the water, but that's really it. After that you're just hot and wet.

I've done a lot of work with evaporative heat transfer, so this is scientific, not just an opinion.
But the scientific question "are you actually cooler" and the question of comfort "do you FEEL cooler" are two different things. Mist fans make you FEEL cooler IMO, even if they don't actually do anything to lower your temperature.

Regardless, I still don't bother with them because they're bulky, heavy, and not worth the hassle.

dieboy

Best tip I can give (maybe controversial) is to be in really good shape before you go.

Lose weight if you need to, do a lot of cardio, and just be in good general health. The heat doesn’t bother you as much.

Accurate, in fact more than accurate. While heat bothers most, it bothers overweight folks generally the worst.

I usually welcome the heat, the hotter the better in my case, add in some humidity, and i'm in heaven.

eliza61nyc

But that's what I'm saying. The water can't evaporate. The air can't hold much more water than it already has in it in those conditions.
View attachment 372895
It can blow. That gives a cooling "feeling ". Its why people make paper fans to fan themselves with. It's all about the feeling.

And when most folks are fanning themselves, I really doubt if they are busting out a chart and saying "well babe the air is at max moisture capacity so you really shouldn't feel any difference", lol they are saying "aaah that breeze feels good"

Last edited:

JohnD

Anyone care to share their tips for beating the heat and humidity in Florida? I see that it has already been surface of the sun hot, so I'm hoping we all have tips to share! I'm going in July, so I'm looking for some great ideas on how to stay cool-ish and feeling fresh-ish.

Besides drinking lots of water and using sunscreen, what tips do you have?

That's pretty much it. Drinking lots of water is imperative. You don't want to get overheated. Make use of the shows where you're seated inside with the A/C. that are anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes. Intersperse them between attractions. Include dark ride attractions that are indoors also (e.g. Haunted Mansion, Pirates). Take a mid-day break at your resort to rest. Return to the parks in the evening when it's cooler, hopefully.

Jenny English

cool towels. We also plan our trip around a schedule. Always find time to cool off inside. We either go into a store, eat, wait in lines that are mainly inside or stay inside attactions that are big waiting areas. Ecpot has many of these options. Reflections of china is our favorite.

Driver

That all depends on the person, water makes me sick to my stomach, so you have to find what works for you, I can say that more than once a dole whip has been a lifesaver because it cooled us down when trying to drink water made us sick. Eat and drink what works for you.
Yep....... just reporting what I see on a daily basis here. You're right people are different , but the majority that get sick is a result of to much sugary snacks . For example cotton candy, candy apples and other similar sweet treats do nothing to cool you down.

aliceismad

A cooling towel was a great help to our little one last week. And mid-day breaks. And pavilions/indoor rides/ADRs scheduled in the afternoon for A/C.

If you have a refillable resort mug, they have Powerade. Too much soda in the heat = 🤢.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom