News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Disney Irish

Premium Member
It's the Flik's Flyers kiddie ride, so I feel annoyed about it, myself. :D The posters are wonderful, though.
I'm still waiting to see if they add some surprises to it. Clearly its not just Flik's with a new skin. The question is if the ride experience is different enough or not. Also waiting to see if there is a possible AA of Joy, Saddness, Anger, or Fear.

Rich T

...Clearly its not just Flik's with a new skin
What?!? But, but, that's exactly what it is! I'll grant you, the posters are so good that I now hate this project 20% less. :D ... ... ... Okay, I just deleted from this reply a lengthy rant I wrote about the ride, because I just can't fault your optimism. I'm telling myself that not everything has to be as grand as Radiator Springs Racers. :D

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's exactly what it is... the ride vehicles might look better themed, and the surrounding facade might look better... but it's exactly Flik's with a new skin.
I guess I just look at it from a different perspective. Yes I agree its the same exact ride system, but so are a lot of spinners. However there is no proof at this point they actually took Flik's itself removed all the Bug's stuff and put on the Inside Out stuff. If that was all this was it would have been done long ago. That is why I'm saying its clearly not just a reskin. But I'll grant you that yes by all accounts its just Flik's. But I think there is more to it than that.

Phroobar

I guess I just look at it from a different perspective. Yes I agree its the same exact ride system, but so are a lot of spinners. However there is no proof at this point they actually took Flik's itself removed all the Bug's stuff and put on the Inside Out stuff. If that was all this was it would have been done long ago. That is why I'm saying its clearly not just a reskin. But I'll grant you that yes by all accounts its just Flik's. But I think there is more to it than that.
I remember they just shipped Fliks to Italy for a retheme by the manufacturer. There is nothing more to it except new sound effects and theming.

lazyboy97o

I remember they just shipped Fliks to Italy for a retheme by the manufacturer. There is nothing more to it except new sound effects and theming.
This story doesn’t really make sense to me. Why would a simple flat ride need to be shipped all the way to Veneto for a new body? The body panels are separate from the ride mechanism. They can and do get removed even just for things like maintenance or refurbishment. Other Zamperla flat rides get re-skinned without making a trip through Italy, such as the flat rides at the recently opened Sesame Street at SeaWorld Orlando.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Cause what if it isn't cheaper to buy a new one off the shelf?
Then they shipped the entire ride to Italy and removed all the Bugs stuff and reskinned it to Inside Out. I just don't buy it, as others here don't either. These off-the-shelf spinners are not very expensive, its cheaper to buy a new one.

Why is it hard for you to believe that they just bought a new one?

SuddenStorm

Then they shipped the entire ride to Italy and removed all the Bugs stuff and reskinned it to Inside Out. I just don't buy it, as others here don't either. These off-the-shelf spinners are not very expensive, its cheaper to buy a new one.

Why is it hard for you to believe that they just bought a new one?

Everything about the ride screams "cheap" and "we needed to shoehorn a new theme into a pre existing attraction"

I'm pretty sure if they were gonna spend money on a new ride, they would've gone with a different ride system.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Everything about the ride screams "cheap" and "we needed to shoehorn a new theme into a pre existing attraction"

I'm pretty sure if they were gonna spend money on a new ride, they would've gone with a different ride system.
Well since neither of us will know for sure we'll just have to agree to disagree. To me it makes more sense to just buy a new one than to tear apart the old one. Like i said if that was the case it would have been done a long time ago as a simple reskin shouldn't have taken that long. But a new custom built one would.

SuddenStorm

Well since neither of us will know for sure we'll just have to agree to disagree. To me it makes more sense to just buy a new one than to tear apart the old one. Like i said if that was the case it would have been done a long time ago as a simple reskin shouldn't have taken that long. But a new custom built one would.

There's tons of reasons a reskin could take this long... not wanting to have to many costs in one quarter, maybe there was an unknown issue they had to fix. Maybe the company they contracted took longer than expected to retheme it, or maybe they wanted something to market in DCA this summer when GE is open. But it's far far more likely that they're reskinning the flat ride they already have.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
There's tons of reasons a reskin could take this long... not wanting to have to many costs in one quarter, maybe there was an unknown issue they had to fix. Maybe the company they contracted took longer than expected to retheme it, or maybe they wanted something to market in DCA this summer when GE is open. But it's far far more likely that they're reskinning the flat ride they already have.
And you could be right. But then again so could I. Like I said we'll have to agree to disagree.

lazyboy97o

The cost to ship Fliks to Italy + the retheme was the same as the cost of a brand new dark ride
Where did this come from? A Disney dark ride somehow seems to have become a $100 million endeavor. Something like a big Sally dark ride can be had for $15 million. An expensive Zamperla flat ride at a non-Disney park should come in around $3 million.

Which is the reason I think they just bought a new one and customized it. Why send it overseas to be reskinned when it cheaper to just buy a new one off-the-shelf.
A new body is cheaper than a new body and ride mechanism. Even if it did get sent to Italy, rides are sold ex works so the cost of shipping from Italy to California is part of buying a new ride mechanism.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom