working out for Disney

HouCuseChickie

Hello-

Still working out, I just got busy with life.

I switched gears from yoga to kettlebells. I wasn't enjoying my yoga practices and I thought I should step away for a bit. So, I am doing 25-30 min. of kettlebells for now. It's where I am right now.

I am *still* waiting for an invite to go to Houston or a thanks, but no thanks from United. LOL They have filled their FA classes for the summer and won't offer them again until the Fall. I have to pay off a cruise very soon. I am *not* pulling out at this point. It's not fair to my roommate, plus, life goes on. I am not pressing the pause button for something that may or may not happen.

I met Tiggerish/Siobhan for Brunch in Philly on Sunday. It was a fun, little place and I had a great time. :)

I am going to catch up with everyone tomorrow. I've been up since 3 AM (yay insomnia) and my bed is beckoning me. Just wanted to say "hi."

Glad to hear all is good.

I really like my kettlebells...aside from that fear that I might let go and send one through a wall! LOL

You never know, the may end up having you come in to H-town at a later time. Just have to wait and see.

HouCuseChickie

I really need to get into the gym and work out, but I'm feeling so drained from our weather madness yesterday.

I logged out of work early because my younger one needed to be picked up from school...her bike has been in the shop. I was supposed to get an oil change right after that, but I could see we were in for some really severe weather right around dismissal time for the older one. She also normally bikes and I didn't want her out in anything like that, so I canceled my oil change and planned to get into the pick up line around 4. The weather started coming in just before that ... lost power a couple of times ...but took the younger one and made the short drive in what at that point was just looking like an average t-storm. The pick up line was snaked all the way onto the main road outside of the school, so I put it in park and we just sat. And this is what it turned into...

In a nutshell, 60-70mph wind gust, torrential rain, tornado warnings, hail, tons of lightning and what I hadn't heard until I was in line...a flash flood warning. So, we're sitting there and texting my daughter that we'd get there as soon as we could get to the front of the line, but that things weren't moving. At some point, she texts to let us know they are moving all students farther into the school because the front was starting to flood. That's when I realized that the streets all around the school must also be under water. A few cars pulled out of the line and I got close enough to the turn off to confirm that the road in front of the school was badly flooded as was the portion of the road ahead. Some vehicles were already stalled out from driving into the high water. So I looped around hoping to make it home to wait it out or try and walk up, but I too drove into high water. I realized trying to make it the block and a half to get home meant possibly losing my vehicle. I opened my door and while I have an SUV that sits up on a truck frame...the water was just above my running boards and nearly at my doors. My younger one started to get scared and cry...but I was able to pull into the lot of an adjacent church (right across from the other side of the school) that sits on higher ground. We sat it out there for a bit and took some video now that the rain was tapering off...

This is a better shot of the limb down on that house you can see in one of the vids. I saw them removing it later. Looked like shingle damage, but no actual roof punctures, which is good.

46851783415_7e137cf4b7_c.jpg

The reality...I probably could have gotten through, but I didn't want to risk it. In the end, it's good that I stayed at the church, because they started letting the kids go. I found the mom of one of my daughter's friends on the other side of the lot and we were texting instructions on how to find us and to stick together. The road was still really badly flooded (although receded a bit at this point on the main road), but there were some parents in the floodwaters guiding the kids through the street.

46851774725_72bd790e4c_c.jpg

33891165438_345ee8a53d_c.jpg

That's mine in the red shirt.

We moved to the back of the parking lot to regroup and figure things out, only to find the family of my younger one's best friend in a bad situation. His mom's car wasn't so lucky. They were all trying to scoop the tons of water that had gotten inside. The bright spot here...my older one's friend's dad was on the way. He has a huge super duty truck that's lifted waaaaay off the ground. He did rescues during Hurricane Harvey. This is where all of my working out has paid off, because I needed all of that leg/arm strength and flexibility to get up into his truck (no steps or boards). He made several trips to get us all back to our homes since the neighborhood roads were still really bad. We saw a few people on canoes!

We got home and our street was a river. I checked the house first...no signs of water inside, no signs of big limbs or trees down, and we had power, so we were doing very well. So, the kids took the pups out and I started taking pics out front.

47768117301_1fcbc39736_c.jpg

46978998884_b912ed8648_c.jpg

32824705797_8dd67680c7_c.jpg

47715768242_be0d0799d3_c.jpg

The little crowd you see is because my neighbor's car was parked on the street and it flooded. Feel bad for them...she told me they just had gotten it from the shop and put in $750 on repairs.

My mailbox is a good gauge for how high the water was...

47715767982_1918e18b55_c.jpg

There's actually another number below the 1, and this sits on a well elevated cement curb. Someone told us that the water had been closer to the 1 that's visible in this pic at some point. I believe them based on the debris field I was able to see in the lawn when we got home showing just how close it got to the house.

I was really scared this smaller truck was going to flood out...

47768116861_519d8c7324_c.jpg

This is my hubby finally making it home. Water had gone down a bit by this point...

40801993973_6a3712c723_c.jpg

But still made some decent waves up into the driveway...

47768116811_79ba9f4061_c.jpg

Most people were going slow, but the faster people drove, the higher the wake and the more likely to push water into homes. Thankfully, ,most people weren't speeding through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwOLEs1Axr4

I also met some kids checking the storm drains to make sure they were all clear so that the water could properly drain off. One was our waiter the other night LOL. We eventually became a cross through for people trying to avoid the traffic on the main roads, so I talked to the people waiting for a bit just to hear about other spots. Some people had water in homes, downed trees, etc. We'd later hear of a woman who drove into a downed tree and died and another hospitalized because a tree came down on her vehicle. Several of the schools and businesses that flooded in Harvey (and some that didn't flood in Harvey) took on water. Our friends had water in their bedroom. So sad!

Eventually, the water fully receded and I went up to the church to get my vehicle. Lucky nothing happened to it because I guess I left it engaged with the radio on in battery mode. It's keyless, so not sure if it shut off when got out of range or was on the whole time. At least it was OK. A little later, my older one and I walked to the school to get her bike. It was a mess getting it, but it's a nice bike and I didn't want to leave it there all weekend.

We had more storms go through overnight and we slept downstairs because I have fears of our big trees coming down on the house. Thankfully, they were more run of the mill t-storms and nothing too severe.

Sorry for the long post...but just needed to vent.

Edit- just got out to the bike shop and got to survey some of the damage. Geesh- tons of trees with huge limbs down or just snapped in half. The guy at the shop who helped me lives about 1/4 of a mile away an they had much larger hail than us...so I guess we were really lucky.

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I really need to get into the gym and work out, but I'm feeling so drained from our weather madness yesterday.

I logged out of work early because my younger one needed to be picked up from school...her bike has been in the shop. I was supposed to get an oil change right after that, but I could see we were in for some really severe weather right around dismissal time for the older one. She also normally bikes and I didn't want her out in anything like that, so I canceled my oil change and planned to get into the pick up line around 4. The weather started coming in just before that ... lost power a couple of times ...but took the younger one and made the short drive in what at that point was just looking like an average t-storm. The pick up line was snaked all the way onto the main road outside of the school, so I put it in park and we just sat. And this is what it turned into...

In a nutshell, 60-70mph wind gust, torrential rain, tornado warnings, hail, tons of lightning and what I hadn't heard until I was in line...a flash flood warning. So, we're sitting there and texting my daughter that we'd get there as soon as we could get to the front of the line, but that things weren't moving. At some point, she texts to let us know they are moving all students farther into the school because the front was starting to flood. That's when I realized that the streets all around the school must also be under water. A few cars pulled out of the line and I got close enough to the turn off to confirm that the road in front of the school was badly flooded as was the portion of the road ahead. Some vehicles were already stalled out from driving into the high water. So I looped around hoping to make it home to wait it out or try and walk up, but I too drove into high water. I realized trying to make it the block and a half to get home meant possibly losing my vehicle. I opened my door and while I have an SUV that sits up on a truck frame...the water was just above my running boards and nearly at my doors. My younger one started to get scared and cry...but I was able to pull into the lot of an adjacent church (right across from the other side of the school) that sits on higher ground. We sat it out there for a bit and took some video now that the rain was tapering off...

This is a better shot of the limb down on that house you can see in one of the vids. I saw them removing it later. Looked like shingle damage, but no actual roof punctures, which is good.

The reality...I probably could have gotten through, but I didn't want to risk it. In the end, it's good that I stayed at the church, because they started letting the kids go. I found the mom of one of my daughter's friends on the other side of the lot and we were texting instructions on how to find us and to stick together. The road was still really badly flooded (although receded a bit at this point on the main road), but there were some parents in the floodwaters guiding the kids through the street.

We moved to the back of the parking lot to regroup and figure things out, only to find the family of my younger one's best friend in a bad situation. His mom's car wasn't so lucky. They were all trying to scoop the tons of water that had gotten inside. The bright spot here...my older one's friend's dad was on the way. He has a huge super duty truck that's lifted waaaaay off the ground. He did rescues during Hurricane Harvey. This is where all of my working out has paid off, because I needed all of that leg/arm strength and flexibility to get up into his truck (no steps or boards). He made several trips to get us all back to our homes since the neighborhood roads were still really bad. We saw a few people on canoes!

We got home and our street was a river. I checked the house first...no signs of water inside, no signs of big limbs or trees down, and we had power, so we were doing very well. So, the kids took the pups out and I started taking pics out front.

The little crowd you see is because my neighbor's car was parked on the street and it flooded. Feel bad for them...she told me they just had gotten it from the shop and put in $750 on repairs.

There's actually another number below the 1, and this sits on a well elevated cement curb. Someone told us that the water had been closer to the 1 that's visible in this pic at some point. I believe them based on the debris field I was able to see in the lawn when we got home showing just how close it got to the house.

This is my hubby finally making it home. Water had gone down a bit by this point...

Most people were going slow, but the faster people drove, the higher the wake and the more likely to push water into homes. Thankfully, ,most people weren't speeding through.

I also met some kids checking the storm drains to make sure they were all clear so that the water could properly drain off. One was our waiter the other night LOL. We eventually became a cross through for people trying to avoid the traffic on the main roads, so I talked to the people waiting for a bit just to hear about other spots. Some people had water in homes, downed trees, etc. We'd later hear of a woman who drove into a downed tree and died and another hospitalized because a tree came down on her vehicle. Several of the schools and businesses that flooded in Harvey (and some that didn't flood in Harvey) took on water. Our friends had water in their bedroom. So sad!

Eventually, the water fully receded and I went up to the church to get my vehicle. Lucky nothing happened to it because I guess I left it engaged with the radio on in battery mode. It's keyless, so not sure if it shut off when got out of range or was on the whole time. At least it was OK. A little later, my older one and I walked to the school to get her bike. It was a mess getting it, but it's a nice bike and I didn't want to leave it there all weekend.

We had more storms go through overnight and we slept downstairs because I have fears of our big trees coming down on the house. Thankfully, they were more run of the mill t-storms and nothing too severe.

Edit- just got out to the bike shop and got to survey some of the damage. Geesh- tons of trees with huge limbs down or just snapped in half. The guy at the shop who helped me lives about 1/4 of a mile away an they had much larger hail than us...so I guess we were really lucky.

Wow that is amazing and scary. I’m glad you all are safe!

epcotisbest

That is awful. Glad you are OK. Seems I hear about bad weather in Texas a lot lately. Does it seem to come more frequently lately, or do we just hear more about it nowadays?

HouCuseChickie

Wow that is amazing and scary. I’m glad you all are safe!

Thank you!

That is awful. Glad you are OK. Seems I hear about bad weather in Texas a lot lately. Does it seem to come more frequently lately, or do we just hear more about it nowadays?

I think it may be more the result of technology and media saturation these days. I've been in Texas for a little over 22 years and this time of year always seems to bring us crazy storms with the potential for flash flooding. I've only been on Facebook since 2008, but I've noticed that all of my memories from this time of year seem to have an above average number of scary storm conditions. Even when I first moved here, I remember several really ugly storm days and flood situations at this time of year. A 1994 flood was the biggest flood to hit our current suburban town before Harvey...so, this part of town has had issues before. The area in by my office gets bad too. It's not uncommon for the first floor of our parking garage to flood if we get torrential rains. We're closer to the gulf, so tropical threats are always a concern. The 1900 storm that pummeled Galveston is still probably the worst the state's seen in semi-recent history. State size could also factor into why Texas weather may make the news more often. We could be dry as a bone and areas to our north like Dallas, Amarillo, etc. could be hammered with storms with major tornadic activity.

Songbird76

Wow....that looks awful! We got a bit of hail today, and a lot of rain, but we didn't get any flooding! I'd be in trouble if I had to pick DS up in anything like this! How old is your oldest? I don't know why I thought they were at the same school. Is the damage to cars and such covered by insurance? And how was the bike?

HouCuseChickie

Wow....that looks awful! We got a bit of hail today, and a lot of rain, but we didn't get any flooding! I'd be in trouble if I had to pick DS up in anything like this! How old is your oldest? I don't know why I thought they were at the same school. Is the damage to cars and such covered by insurance? And how was the bike?

I think it was how fast it all happened combined with the wind speeds and the rain amounts. It was just under 4" in a little less than an hour and high winds can be really devastating when you live in a forest. The older one is almost 13. Her school is less than a 5 min walk from the house, but not in that kind of weather. Auto insurance should cover flooded vehicles. Thankfully, mine is OK. bike is good too. Whew!

Songbird76

I think it was how fast it all happened combined with the wind speeds and the rain amounts. It was just under 4" in a little less than an hour and high winds can be really devastating when you live in a forest. The older one is almost 13. Her school is less than a 5 min walk from the house, but not in that kind of weather. Auto insurance should cover flooded vehicles. Thankfully, mine is OK. bike is good too. Whew!
Ah, your oldest must be close to my oldest in age. DD turns 13 in just a couple of weeks and DS will turn 12 in December.

Yeah, it's sad when the flooding goes so fast because you can't really prepare for it. When there's a hurricane, you can track it and put up flood barriers and stuff, evacuate if you need to, but with just a flash flood like that, there's really nothing you can do. I'm so sorry your youngest was so scared. I hope she's alright now and doesn't get nightmares or anything.

HouCuseChickie

Ah, your oldest must be close to my oldest in age. DD turns 13 in just a couple of weeks and DS will turn 12 in December.

Yeah, it's sad when the flooding goes so fast because you can't really prepare for it. When there's a hurricane, you can track it and put up flood barriers and stuff, evacuate if you need to, but with just a flash flood like that, there's really nothing you can do. I'm so sorry your youngest was so scared. I hope she's alright now and doesn't get nightmares or anything.

They are close in age. DD12 will be 13 in August and DD10 will be 11 in November.

We've seen some updated rain totals and it's now looking like it was 6" in a little under an hour. It's nothing like our Harvey totals, but I also know we didn't see that much in such a small window during that hurricane. Just thankful we are OK and didn't have any major damage issues. I hated seeing DD10 so scared, but it seems seeing her best friend scooping water out of his mom's flooded car has had the lasting impact. I guess at least it seems to be an empathetic response vs. one of fear.

Sans Souci

That's insane, glad you and your family are ok and your house is unscathed.

Sans Souci

So excited I had to tell someone. I have mentiioned the synchronous fireflies at Elkmont in Gatlinburg before and we have gone several times. This year I could not get reservations for the campground and the only other way to see this is to enter the National Park Service lottery and ride the trolley in from the visitor center if you are lucky enough to get in.
The amount of people let in is strictly montitored because crowds over the years have grown so much.
So anyway, we are registered for the lottery but the results won't be announced until May 10. I have been checking for a campsite just about every day for the last few months, but the campground sells out six months in advance in just a few minutes for this and we did not secure a spot this year.
Today, I checked and there was a cancellation for the Friday and Saturday night we could go, so I grabbed it! So now, whether we get passes through the lottery or not won't matter, because if you are camping there, all you have to do is walk over to the viewing site, no trolley pass or parking pass required.
Don't know if I am going to try to surprise my wife later, or go ahead and tell her today. Either way, yeah!
Here is a neat little video about it if you have any interest:

Good for you and your wife. I know how you love watching these fireflies. Did you decide how you're going to tell your wife?

Sans Souci

Hello-

It was really rainy over the weekend, so my sinuses were giving me grief. I basically sat on my couch all weekend. My eye and cheek were tender and it hurt to change positions in bed. I tried to sleep propped up on my pillows, but was unsuccessful. LOL

I did workout today. I stopped about 2/3 way through. It just felt so repetitive. I'd clocked in just under a half hour and I went for a walk. I am in this workout slump where nothing is fun or pleasurable. I dread my workouts now. I hate feeling like this. :depressed:

Sans Souci

Wasn't your invitation for an interview really late, too? Perhaps they had an overload of applicants and are handling them in batches and you're just in a different batch.

It was! The day after I applied, my status at the United website said I'd been sent a link to do the video interview. It didn't come until 5 days later. I belong to a Facebook group for United FA candidates and people who did their video interview around the same time I did mine have heard nothing, either. My husband thinks I'm in a queue to be contacted, because it takes 2 seconds to send a "thanks, but no thanks."

I guess I'll find out some time this year...:hilarious:

HouCuseChickie

Hello-

It was really rainy over the weekend, so my sinuses were giving me grief. I basically sat on my couch all weekend. My eye and cheek were tender and it hurt to change positions in bed. I tried to sleep propped up on my pillows, but was unsuccessful. LOL

I did workout today. I stopped about 2/3 way through. It just felt so repetitive. I'd clocked in just under a half hour and I went for a walk. I am in this workout slump where nothing is fun or pleasurable. I dread my workouts now. I hate feeling like this. :depressed:

My sinuses have also been a mess since that weather went through last week. The headaches were so strong from the sinus pressure that I was feeling sick to my stomach. Last night, I took the store brand version of Mucinex Maximum Strength Sinus Max and it did wonders. Hopefully, you can find something that will help.

I know that slumping feeling. I've had so many days where I feel like I'm going through the motions and it's hard finding something new to add in to jump start the process.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
It was! The day after I applied, my status at the United website said I'd been sent a link to do the video interview. It didn't come until 5 days later. I belong to a Facebook group for United FA candidates and people who did their video interview around the same time I did mine have heard nothing, either. My husband thinks I'm in a queue to be contacted, because it takes 2 seconds to send a "thanks, but no thanks."

I guess I'll find out some time this year...:hilarious:

Don't give up. I think your hubs has a point. If they completely rejected you, you'd probably know by now. I'm surprised by how long the process is for these jobs. I'll bet a bunch of candidates end up taking other jobs elsewhere, as they may not be able to wait it out (financial reasons, etc.).

epcotisbest

Good for you and your wife. I know how you love watching these fireflies. Did you decide how you're going to tell your wife?

She was looking at her calendar trying to schedule some business trips and one would have her in Savannah for the beginning of that weekend, so I went ahead and told her to keep that weekend open for the fireflies. She was thrilled and glad I went ahead and told her. Scheduled Savannah for the end of next week and I am going to go with her then from there we are headed on down to WDW for a week at Saratoga Springs.

Songbird76

Hello-

Sorry about your sinuses. I hate that! I feel like I'm finally getting past the hay fever stuff. The itchy, swollen eyes drive me NUTS.

I'm curious....do you usually like your workouts? Because what you describe....everything being repetetive and nothing is fun, you dread it....that's how I ALWAYS feel. I have never LIKED working out. I only do it in hopes of getting in better shape, but I hate every second of it. I hate the feeling of being sweaty, I hate being short of breath, I hate how achy I get...there's just nothing that I LIKE about working out. With the Turbo Jam workouts I was doing before I messed up my hip, there was a certain point where she says that it's all up to you how much energy you have...."Just decide right now that you have a lot of energy" and I just wanted to punch her. And she would say "I know you're having fun right now, because if you weren't, you wouldn't be doing it!" WRONG! So I'm just wondering....is that just me? Do you all LIKE working out? Is it something you miss if you can't do it?

HouCuseChickie

I tried to break up the monotony this morning and forced myself to huff and puff more than my norm. It was still the bike and it was still technically just a day where I bumped up the tension, but I really bumped it up and pushed hard. I still came in at 15.42 miles when all was said and done, but boy did I have to work for it. At the very least, it wasn't boring and really energized my treadmill time at the end. Not that it was a long walk, but my overall pace was a 12.31 min mile and I tested the second pair of socks I bought the other day. I think I like the cushion better than the merino, but we'll see how I feel when I start doing more significant distances. Beyond that, I did some leg work on the floor with my ankle weights and some abs. Looking forward to next week when I start training. I've already prepped the family! :hilarious:

Figgy1

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hello-

I think it may have to do with this awful weather pattern, my get up and go has got up and left. At least my farm market opened on Saturday and I was out and about walking, spent all day Sunday cooking but yesterday's barre was slightly better than getting a broken bone set. today the sun popped out for a while so I enjoyed that with a walk but dread the cooler weather moving in tomorrow

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom