Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

DanielBB8

The description suggests the new ride will have more things to look at besides the screen. It will be TSMM 2.0. No one ever said an there should not be more than one type of ride in each park. In fact, the Magic Kingdom has 2 omnimover rides (Haunted Mansion and Mermaid). I would expect the screens to be much larger since Spiderman isn't going to just be an arcade style play like TSMM.

Professortango1

The description suggests the new ride will have more things to look at besides the screen. It will be TSMM 2.0. No one ever said an there should not be more than one type of ride in each park. In fact, the Magic Kingdom has 2 omnimover rides (Haunted Mansion and Mermaid). I would expect the screens to be much larger since Spiderman isn't going to just be an arcade style play like TSMM.

The omnimover is a ride vehicle system. The rides differ because the settings/themes/looks/style of the two different attractions are so vastly different. TSMM and Spiderman Midway Mania will share ride vehicles, screens, and an interactive shooting aspect. There will also not be much room for anything else to help differentiate the two.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
What's sad is TOT probably lends itself better to a Spiderman attraction and this new Spiderman attraction probably lends itself to a Guardians shooter adventure.
I think TOT was much more suited to be a Dr. Strange attraction. Redress the exterior as the Sanctum Sanctorum, put mystic artifacts in the queue, make the ride itself about falling through the dimensions/reality/time & space, and there you have it.

I think ToT DCA worked best as Hollywood Tower Hotel at DCA.

Hawkeye_2018

Wow this is disappointing. Hopefully it will at least be better than the Antman ride overseas. Looks like Universal will still have the best Spiderman ride

britain

Do you think this (I mean, in addition to being cheap, of course) is sort of out of respect to the IOA Spider-Man team? I mean, all of WDI and Uni Creative employees are colleagues. They don't see themselves as being at war. And some of them have traded places between the companies.

In other words, if Scott Trowbridge is considered to be 'important' enough to be in charge of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, then is he also important enough to say in meetings, "Hey, IOA Spider-Man is still my baby and I'm proud of it." And perhaps all the other imagineers nod and say, "Oh of course, it's a classic. We're going a different direction with Spider-Man at our parks. No worries."

SuddenStorm

Do you think this (I mean, in addition to being cheap, of course) is sort of out of respect to the IOA Spider-Man team? I mean, all of WDI and Uni Creative employees are colleagues. They don't see themselves as being at war. And some of them have traded places between the companies.

In other words, if Scott Trowbridge is considered to be 'important' enough to be in charge of Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge, then is he also important enough to say in meetings, "Hey, IOA Spider-Man is still my baby and I'm proud of it." And perhaps all the other imagineers nod and say, "Oh of course, it's a classic. We're going a different direction with Spider-Man at our parks. No worries."

No. This is purely because it's cheap. Sure, many creatives have jumped around- but at the end, they want to be making the best attractions they can regardless of who they're working for. They aren't gonna intentionally make a lesser project for Disney because they made a good one for Universal- and if they were to try and do that, they should be fired.

britain

No. This is purely because it's cheap. Sure, many creatives have jumped around- but at the end, they want to be making the best attractions they can regardless of who they're working for. They aren't gonna intentionally make a lesser project for Disney because they made a good one for Universal- and if they were to try and do that, they should be fired.

Sure, I don't think they'd make a bad project, but perhaps a deliberately non-groundbreaking project?

This isn't apples to oranges, but Marc Davis deliberately kept WDW Pirates from being the "next gen" version of Pirates because the company was still intending to have Western River Expedition be the "next gen" version of Pirates. You don't have to be traitorous to the company in order to reason why something should be simpler / smaller / cheaper.

mickEblu

That’s an interesting theory.

Maybe they don’t think they can top it with the budget allotted so they re going with this approach? However, that would make you wonder why they went with Spider-Man in the first place. With that said, the casual guest won’t be comparing the two.

Maybe it was supposed to be something much greater until the bean counters stepped in? Although it just seems odd that DL is getting all the healthy budget when they want more people to go to DCA. Meanwhile they keep spending money at DCA on things that don't move the needle.

Maybe we ll be pleasantly surprised?

Maybe some new tech will take it over top and separate it from TSMM?

Probably it will suck.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

The omnimover is a ride vehicle system. The rides differ because the settings/themes/looks/style of the two different attractions are so vastly different. TSMM and Spiderman Midway Mania will share ride vehicles, screens, and an interactive shooting aspect. There will also not be much room for anything else to help differentiate the two.
The omnimover is still held to its limitations like slow moving, 3 or 4 seater, directional turning. It's no different in experience. Dark lighting. Looping scenes. Little interaction.

When IOA's Spiderman technology was applied to Transformers, the result was Spiderman was still the better ride. Transformers didn't seem better. It actually seems worse. Execution is everything. Every ride system will eventually max out it's ability to be different. Didn't we say this about 3D movies? We did, but Avatar's Flight of Passage pushed the bar again.

thequeuelinelectures

so based on some hints I've picked up it seems like the shooting is going to be done with gesture control. Has anyone ridden Ninjago? I'm curious how accurate that system feels...

mickEblu

I will hold out hope that Disney isn't this dumb and it is only the Paris version getting the MM treatment. DCA will have a unique and interesting Spider Man ride... come on Disney... 😥

I doubt it. It looks like those blueprints are probably a clone of DCAs blueprints. If you look at the shape of the building it’s the shape of DCAs version based on the land constraints of the former Bugs land. In particular that piece they re adding near the old Bugs Land bathrooms.

derklugen

Dunno why al the fuss around the spidey ride, a land can't be full of e-tickets, plus they need a family ride... (hello Flight of the Hippogriff) to make the land feel more open for everyone. The only thing I dislike of this are the facades... cheap.

SuddenStorm

Dunno why al the fuss around the spidey ride, a land can't be full of e-tickets, plus they need a family ride... (hello Flight of the Hippogriff) to make the land feel more open for everyone. The only thing I dislike of this are the facades... cheap.

There's nothing wrong with a good C or D ticket family ride- but this just seems cheap and uninspired.

mickEblu

There's nothing wrong with a good C or D ticket family ride- but this just seems cheap and uninspired.

And anything involving Spider-Man IP probably should be an E ticket. Expectations always have to be considered. It’s why many people are unhappy with the Navi boat ride. They expected an Avatar version of POTC and didn’t get it. And Tbh considering the subject material, it could have been a grandslam of an attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom