Chef Art Smith's Homecoming, is it that good?

Plowboy

Original Poster
Have been trying to get an ADR at Homecoming for a month now with no success. We're going late Sept.-early Oct. this year so I realize things can change at any time, but it's been full-up since 180 days out. I'll keep trying, but is it that good? Also, opinions on Polite Pig as an alternative?

Last edited:

Dukevalentine

Not sure why you’re struggling! How many are in your party? I’m there 6th Sep to the 25th and have 2 dinners booked and a few lunches (options!).

Definitely just keep at it! It’s really good food.

ppet

I had some really great chicken there and the meat loaf was extremely good also. I'll be going back on next trip. Plus I lovethe watermelon moonshine.:cool:

HouCuseChickie

I've never tried Polite Pig, but we were mixed on what we got at Homecomin'. We only ordered appetizers and sides, but we did order a few things that people were raving about. I was not impressed with the mac & cheese or the hushpuppies, and while the deviled eggs weren't bad, I've had ones I like better. The shrimp cocktail (which could easily become a bloody mary if you add some vodka) was the best thing we ordered. That being said, I know people who love Homecomin' and thoroughly enjoyed everything they ordered. So, it might be worth trying for a firsthand experience if you can snag an ADR.

epcotisbest

We enjoyed it (have been a few times.)

From reading here and elsewhere, it seems Southerners are less impressed - much like I’m less impressed with most Italian restaurants (being an Italian from NJ.)

That makes sense. Having grown up and lived all my life in the south, I was raised on the world's best fried chicken, biscuits and southern sides ever, prepared with just the right amount of love by my grannie (what I would give to see her again and have one more biscuit).
I think she invented fried green tomatoes.
Also, there are a few local places within easy driving distance of home that serve spot on southern cooking, so I tend to have high standards when it comes to southern cooking.
Paula Deen's in Savannah is OK southern cooking, but nothing really special to me because of what I judge it against.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

We enjoyed it (have been a few times.)

From reading here and elsewhere, it seems Southerners are less impressed - much like I’m less impressed with most Italian restaurants (being an Italian from NJ.)
Having grown up in the South, I would agree with this statement. I have been to Homecomin' 3 times, and I'll agree that it's good, but not impressive. Just solid Southern comfort food. For the price, I was expecting something a little more "gourmet". Something like a rib eye with caramelized ramps, white sweet potato bruleé, and bacon fat green beans.

Disneyhead'71

I've been there and enjoyed it. The good thing about Disney Spring restaurants is most entrees are in the $20 range instead of the $30-40 range of park and hotel restaurants. Worth a visit and you don't have to take out a second mortgage to find out you don't like it
$26 for 3 pieces of fried chicken and mashed potatoes is still on the pricey side, imho.

HMFan999

It is my favorite restaurant on property at the moment, but I can definitely see where people are coming from. It's made for us poor yankees who only get to dream about real southern cooking during our normal lives. I spent six glorious months in NC and now I'd give my right arm just to find a restaurant that knows how to make grits...

epcotisbest

It is my favorite restaurant on property at the moment, but I can definitely see where people are coming from. It's made for us poor yankees who only get to dream about real southern cooking during our normal lives. I spent six glorious months in NC and now I'd give my right arm just to find a restaurant that knows how to make grits...

You mean grits like these, served atop scrambled eggs and served with bacon, sausage biscuit, home made hash browns and fried apples? Just another morning at our house.
Oh, and those grits are from a local water powered grist mill, ground fresh, then brought home and slow simmered for about twenty minutes with a dash of salt and pepper and gobs of butter. Dang, now I'm making myself hungry.

image.png

mf1972

You mean grits like these, served atop scrambled eggs and served with bacon, sausage biscuit, home made hash browns and fried apples? Just another morning at our house.
Oh, and those grits are from a local water powered grist mill, ground fresh, then brought home and slow simmered for about twenty minutes with a dash of salt and pepper and gobs of butter. Dang, now I'm making myself hungry.

View attachment 369922
91D96C1D-7957-4BF0-B2FA-90052CDE3984.gif

Minnesota disney fan

My husband and I ate there a year ago, with great anticipation of a great meal.
Well, the fried chicken was like anywhere else IMO. The mashed potatoes were soupy, and you could eat them with a spoon. They also had some weird (to me) spice ICK. The biscuits were fine, but loaded with cheese. We didn't know that, and my husband hates cheese. The waitress told us we should order one dinner and split it, as it was a lot of food. And she was right! When I got home I found that we had been charged for 2 dinners. I know, I know, all my fault for not checking the bill closely. I guess I am too trusting while on vacation.
Anyway, we would not waste the money on Homecomin again. However, others love it, so maybe it was an off day???
I guess I would just have to try it myself if I were you. You might love it:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom