Chef Art Smith's Homecoming, is it that good?

Phonedave

The portions are huge because it's Southern homestyle cooking. I've traveled all around the American South and a big serving for that level and type of restaurant is the standard. You're not forced to eat everything on your plate. If you don't like the quality or the menu, that's a fair criticism (I can certainly think of things to criticize), but portion size is one thing they definitely get right. Oh, and friendly, flirty staff. That's another thing they nail. (Although they tend to be more attractive at Art Smith's than similar restaurants in the South...)

Overly large portions that people do not finish are a waste of food, a patrons money, and can actually lower a restaurants bottom line.

Food waste is pretty obvious - especially in a place like WDW where a large percentage of the customers are not going to take leftovers home

It wastes my money because I am paying for a portion size that I do not want

It costs the restaurant money, because with smaller portions, even with a lower price, people are more apt to eat an appetizer or dessert and have an extra drink or two (Where the real money is made)

Just because southern comfort food has traditionally large portions does not mean it has to be that way.

Phonedave

Again, they have never had NJ pizza...just voted in "Food & Wine" magazine as the best pizza in the US, beating out NY and CT.

As someone who lives in NJ and has eaten their fair share of pizza, I think any argument about the "best" pizza is asinine.

Individual tastes differ. Some people like a crispier crust, some like a chewier crust. Some like a sweeter sauce, others not so much. Some enjoy the smoky char that comes from a coal fired oven, others not so much.

When people claim something is "the best" especially something as individually subjective as pizza, well it sort of kills credibility.

That is not to say there is not good pizza and bad pizza. There is pizza I like better than other pizza. Sometimes that even changes day to day depending on my mood (Columbia Inn I am looking at you - I have to be in the mood for your unique crust)

Via Napoli - solid pizza, much better than many other places. Especially if you like char. Their arancini leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion though.

Last edited:

Drinker Bell

In the Parks
No
For someone who lives in NYC I do not see home southern cooking much and this was quite the change of pace. The Fried Chicken meal I got was outstanding and definitely worth it.

DisneyDelirious

Super structures are my specialty!
Premium Member
I thought you can't make reservations till 60 days out???
That restaurant takes reservations directly (not just through the Disney system.). It may be that they are making reservations available outside of the 60 day window. I have made reservations there directly, but can’t speak to them taking them outside the Disney window. I generally only call restaurants directly when I strike out on the Disney site.

EdnaMode

Same for me with the portions were huge!!! I don't need nor do I want to eat a half of cow at dinner....

I can't believe someone can eat that fried chicken meal alone. You would have to be starved. I've had it twice, shared it both times and we still had some to take back to the room. One time, my niece and I worked on that meal for about an hour, the other time my husband gave me a little more help in eating it, but he definitely didn't want the full meal to himself either. I've had most everything on the menu and all of it was good, but I wouldn't order anything there that I couldn't share. It's SO.MUCH.FOOD.

If you can't get in, I agree completely with the recommendation for Polite Pig as a really great alternative. The meat is good (we live in Texas so brisket is very accessible and pulled pork is a staple at our house) but the sides are so yum! I would fly to Orlando for the beet salad ( I know beets are everyone's thing....it's ok, I'll eat them for you.).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom