Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

PB Watermelon

CentralPerk.jpg

note2001

Oh boy, reservations have to be coming. Otherwise we're going to see people dropping from dehydration in that Florida end-of-August heat while waiting in that line to get into SWL without reservations.

... not to mention the smell

flynnibus

Premium Member
The blog post also says for the first few days, DHS will open to everyone at 6 AM. Gotta day, I like this idea better than the reservation period DisneyLand is doing.

Not better... just more hours. It doesn't do anything to throttle demand or stagger it. Instead, now people will simply be trying to queue up at 5am to wait for 6am openings to get the lowest wait time.. and then the wait times will inflate all the way to peak all day long. And there will be no reprieve for the land itself.

Counter this with DL's plan to do things in waves... that people don't have to queue up for, and shouldn't have the same slammed land to deal with like DHS will.

DHS's is 'easier'... but it just means everyone will get to experience max crowds and everyone will have to dedicate more time to try to beat the wait.

Goofyernmost

Perk is what is given to the resort guests beyond what others are getting. You’re complaining because you are in the second group it appears. You need to find a better hill to die on
I read the post and what I got from it was that they were staying on site, but, felt that what was offered was not sufficient to be a real perk when dealing with an attraction like SWL. For the money they charge per night... it was not a sufficient return.

Purduevian

I like the idea of opening at 6am instead of the reservation system very few can take part in, but of course if you have a $600 room a night you can get in ... I understand Disneyland is a different sort of park, but the reservation system has been messy from the start and Disneyland will probably be dealing with thousands of upset guests. IMO it's a mess. Just have people wait in line. They're trying to control it, and I get it, but ... I just see disaster for some reason. But hey, every Florida vlogger will be in Anaheim of course ...

I think this is the big issue with doing reservations at DHS... where to put all the people? At Disneyland the crowds waiting for their time at SWGE have a ton of rides and attractions at DL and even more just steps away at CA plenty of space to absorb crowds. Compare that too DHS where the only real attractions are: TSMM, SDD, Alien, Frozen, Jones, Muppets, ST, BatB, Mermaid, Jr., ToT, and RnRc... and a few walk through things. if DHS had a reservation system, the lines for all of these would be outrageous causing a bad experience for anyone not interested in SWGE.

Goodeone

I think this is the big issue with doing reservations at DHS... where to put all the people? At Disneyland the crowds waiting for their time at SWGE have a ton of rides and attractions at DL and even more just steps away at CA plenty of space to absorb crowds. Compare that too DHS where the only real attractions are: TSMM, SDD, Alien, Frozen, Jones, Muppets, ST, BatB, Mermaid, Jr., ToT, and RnRc... and a few walk through things. if DHS had a reservation system, the lines for all of these would be outrageous causing a bad experience for anyone not interested in SWGE.

I don't think ALL of the crowds would strictly disperse to the other rides at the Studios. DHS does have the benefit of being able to have crowds wait at any of the other 3 parks or Disney Springs. Personally, I would rather have a pre-arranged SW:GE time of 1pm and know that I can avoid the park until around that time. There's a reason that they've added EEMH to AK and MK. Aside from the logistical factors of where to put the line of people waiting to get into SW:GE, Disney doesn't make money from you while you're standing in line. It's the prudent thing for them to do to try to let you "virtually" wait while you're spending money elsewhere.

Purduevian

I don't think ALL of the crowds would strictly disperse to the other rides at the Studios. DHS does have the benefit of being able to have crowds wait at any of the other 3 parks or Disney Springs. Personally, I would rather have a pre-arranged SW:GE time of 1pm and know that I can avoid the park until around that time. There's a reason that they've added EEMH to AK and MK. Aside from the logistical factors of where to put the line of people waiting to get into SW:GE, Disney doesn't make money from you while you're standing in line. It's the prudent thing for them to do to try to let you "virtually" wait while you're spending money elsewhere.

I agree that not ALL of the crowds would be at DHS... but I would be willing to bet a significant portion would be. Park hopping at WDW takes a long time and is very complicated for most people. If they wanted a virtually waiting system for DHS, the should not have torn down GMR and built TSL with such low capacity.

rsm

While I agree with alot of this (many of his themes in the current trilogy I think are just too complex to be whistle-able much of the time), for the land itself I think having something a little less catchy is okay - can you imagine the cantina band song on repeat for 3 hours while you wait in line for something?

Even the Jurassic Park theme starts to drive me nuts at Universal after a while.

Last edited:

Incomudro

It's okay. I love John Williams, but I have to be honest that his most recent work has not really been up to golden era John Williams.

This suite is not really something I am going to whistle while cleaning out my garage, and it's not very memorable.
As a standalone piece it doesn't really stir up much imagery. I think i needs the visuals to mean something.

It doesn't have the recall of Yoda's Theme, or Luke and Leia's Theme, or The Imperial March, or the Emperor's Theme, or the Cantina song, or Duel of the Fates, or Battle of the Heroes.

That's too bad.

We need to remember that the music serves a different purpose here than it does in a film.
It's purpose in part is to be more subtle.

Incomudro

They play many movie theme songs at Hollywood Studios, and they recall memories of some wonderful cultural pieces of history.

I never tire of hearing the truly great pieces. I can hear the Indiana Jones theme over and over and never have a problem with it.
I even like the First Order march in Hollywood Studios.

This Williams piece just doesn't have it.

All true.
And yet, still - the new John Williams music is written to serve a different function in this land - than is the music in the other lands.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom