Big Reveal, New Logo

lazyboy97o

I'm convinced there are very long term plans and stuff doesn't get approved that derails those. Again, Frozen may be temporary. (in Disney years) And it is possible not even highly placed Imagineers know the long term plans. IMO.
How that’s big Space Mountain refurb coming?

draybook

When you got to the park at 6am and stood there waiting for the big reveal:

When they revealed the "exciting" new logo:

juniorthomas

This may sound like sacrilege, but do they really need this sign anymore? It would be like Magic Kingdom having a sign after Main Street saying "Magic Kingdom".

It would have been better if they just made it a sign for a new land. Monstropolis, Toontown, MickeyMouse10land, whatever.
That archway is a throwback reference to entry gates at Paramount and Universal. Another way to give the Hollywood look and feel, even if it doesn't welcome you to an active studio anymore.

Po'Rich

I don't get how it can still be called "Studios". They should have just did a name change.
With no inside information and just based on the new logo, I think they are still working towards a name change. I could see them easily drop "studios" in the future and just call the park, Disney's Hollywood. Such a park would be a mixture of old Hollywood (which many of us would recognize as left-over components from the studio days) and new IP-based rides, such as what we're getting now.

tomast

Oh.. its another step in leaving the "Studio" part of the park on history books only.

In the old logo the "Studios" is the most important part. In the new one there is almost nothing left of the studios. Like in the park

Btw. The new logo looks twoo simple and the black ears of mickey gets mixed with the font color. I like more the old style more "Art deco" more timeless and the new one more like "fast fashion / instagram stlye"

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ya know, the old logo ain't that great either. It has three very strong and different fonts competing with one another. The font for "HOLLYWOOD" is just a bit too wacky. The dark tan drop shadow is inexplicable. And Mickey looks like a really bad 'shop job.

If we never had that old logo and it was being introduced today, it would be savaged worse then the new one.

That's not to justify the new one... It could certainly have been done better. But, it's not like we're losing something wonderful.

Now, if you want to get really savage, let's dissect a bunch of Epcot's old logos...

VJ

Now, if you want to get really savage, let's dissect a bunch of Epcot's old logos...
One way to get blacklisted on the WDW boards is to diss EPCOT Center... ;)

Honestly, I feel like the old DHS logo gets the whole "movie studio" (even if that's not the focus anymore, before someone points that out) feel across better than the new one. The logo for the park might not be a big deal in the grand scheme of things, sure, but those of us like @MrPromey and myself take it a bit more personally than people who don't really care about logos/graphic design (aka most people on this board).

That said, I've enjoyed this discussion! I don't get many opportunities to talk about graphic design, so this is fun for me.

britain

Ya know, the old logo ain't that great either. It has three very strong and different fonts competing with one another. The font for "HOLLYWOOD" is just a bit too wacky. The dark tan drop shadow is inexplicable. And Mickey looks like a really bad 'shop job.

If we never had that old logo and it was being introduced today, it would be savaged worse then the new one.

That's not to justify the new one... It could certainly have been done better. But, it's not like we're losing something wonderful.

As I said in my original critique, I think the design of the logo independent of context is a modest improvement over the last one. But its placement on the arch is lousy.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I like it without the characters?View attachment 368944

This is markedly better. A simple change with greater impact. Less is usually more when it comes to logo design. Well, so long as it gets the point across. Not sure what the circles or colors signify but I do like it better compared to the framed characters. Why? Because this at least looks "playful" as opposed to being just very, very "corporate". I guess if I were to design a new logo I'd probably keep it simple like this, definitely improve the composition making "Disney's" larger and centering everything. Then... and if it's a requirement by "The Mouse" find a way to incorporate IP in a tasteful way... maybe as silhouettes.

That in itself could be a interesting concept: Daytime they're just colored circles. Nighttime those circles could feature (via projection?) the animated shadows of iconic park characters interacting with the logo.

Last edited:

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

Tu quoque fallacies are a weak rebuttal.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Tu quoque fallacies are a weak rebuttal.

Except it wasn't tu toque, it was get over yourselves, the antipathy is disproportionate to the offense.

Plus, you can tell it wasn't tu toque because I acknowledged the new logo was worthy of some critique.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom