News Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge - Historical Construction/Impressions

BrianLo

Original Poster
I see your points but how are they going to handle the Kylo Ren/ ROTR situation? Unless the fact that he’s in ROTR Is just a big spoiler that he’s alive and well and still evil after Episode 9? I don’t buy the “land is set around Episode 8” thing. It’s just a convenient cop out so they could include the current baddie in the land. Anyway it doesn’t really bother me that Kylo is part of the attraction. I just don’t think the Han is dead argument is consistent with other decisions that went into the land

Han didn't know where the Millennium Falcon went off to for decades when Rey took off with it from Jakku. He then briefly has access to it during the events in The Force Awakens and dies at the end.

So with the current trio and Kylo appearing in the other attraction either he is dead or Chewie lends out the ship during the middle of the Force Awakens?

Han is Dead.

Apparently there is a sizeable time jump between 8 and 9 so this supposedly takes place in between.

BrianLo

Original Poster
How is this themepark any better for taking place during one films era (post Han) vs another (original trilogy or even prequel trilogy). This park could have been “art” regardless of when it took place. Galaxy’s Edge is complete synergy with Disney’s current Star Wars products and nothing more. It is not a celebration of all things Star Wars.

Galaxy’s Edge promotes the sequel trilogy and Rebels instead of taking inspiration from the whole series. This is why weaker characters like Kylo Ren or “The First Order” appear in place of Darth Vader or The Empire.

I'm talking about something else rather than an argument on timelines. It has nothing to do with the era it takes place in, it's that it clearly expands the canon. Not in a supposedly muggles get a tour of Hogwarts during the events of the books type way.

It's a new location, with new stories and some new characters. It puts an emphasis on the theme parks as viable medium of carrying canon just as much as the movies. Not just a set reproduction of what we've seen.

Any company could reproduce Tatooine and tack a roller coaster onto it. This respects theme parks as an art form faaaaaaarrr more than a meet and greet with the original trio.

Yes it COULD have taken place during the original trilogy easily and done the same thing, by not revisiting the movies plot points. I'm sure people would have still complained.

However to answer your question, if you are going to celebrate all the movies, doesn't it make sense to set the land near the end of the nine-film saga instead of the beginning or middle?

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
How is this themepark any better for taking place during one films era (post Han) vs another (original trilogy or even prequel trilogy). This park could have been “art” regardless of when it took place. Galaxy’s Edge is complete synergy with Disney’s current Star Wars products and nothing more. It is not a celebration of all things Star Wars.

Galaxy’s Edge promotes the sequel trilogy and Rebels instead of taking inspiration from the whole series. This is why weaker characters like Kylo Ren or “The First Order” appear in place of Darth Vader or The Empire.

Remember when this project started Disney didn't own the rights to the prior 6 films, as they didn't yet own Fox. So they wanted to promote their own canon and expand it so that its its own thing within that canon in the Parks.

Now that they own Fox well maybe different decisions may have been made if the project was started from scratch today or maybe not, but we are where we are now and there is no turning back.

TP2000

Insane levels of immersion aside... Which will all be broken due to the fact you'll still be enjoying the park along side nerdy mcfatty and uncle Larry and his sister's screaming brats (I'll be playing nerdy mcfatty in my tie dye shirt when I visit)...

The sad thing is these coke bottles won't exist after 8-12 months after the place opens. There'll be normal coke bottles for sale by this time next year when they cut back on immersive entertainment etc and the land falls into line and the honeymoon is over.

Nerdy McFatty. I love that image of Mr. McFatty and his un-charming family, because it's so shockingly true. Those types of visitors are going to be the downfall of all this "Immersion!", along with the rest of the today's annoying culture who will crowd this place; the Raider Nation, Disneyland Social Clubs in grimy vests, socially awkward pin traders, Grad Nite chanting mobs, narcissistic weirdos with "assistance animals" that are just their untrained Schnauzer, etc., etc.

All that said, is it weird that I am way more excited to get one of those new Coca-Cola bottles than I am any of the other custom merchandise they've released so far? I could care less about dolls and junk made to look like they were made by the residents of Batuu (Hawaiian for methamphetamines), but I really want one of those new Coke bottles!

I don't need any of this Chinese made fake Batuuvian merchandise in my life, and certainly not in my home.

SWGE-Merchandise-FP.png

But I really want the full set of these Coke and Sprite bottles! I can pass on the Dasani though. But these I will buy and keep!

Star-Wars-Land_Full_34984.jpg

It will be wise of me to purchase these this summer, because I agree that this type of stuff won't be around a year or two later. They won't keep this up, they can't keep this up; TDA and Disneyland has proven time and time again that they can't and won't and don't care enough to keep this up. Remember the Coca-Cola stand in New Tomorrowland back in 1998 that shot the Coke bottles up into the air? That lasted about a year.

Last edited:

truecoat

Remember when this project started Disney didn't own the rights to the prior 6 films, as they didn't yet own Fox. So they wanted to promote their own canon and expand it so that its its own thing within that canon in the Parks.

Now that they own Fox well maybe different decisions may have been made if the project was started from scratch today or maybe not, but we are where we are now and there is no turning back.

I thought it was just the first one they couldn’t control fully.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I thought it was just the first one they couldn’t control fully.

True, but if you're a business and bought a property that you don't fully control. Do you promote something you don't fully control, or do you promote everything that came after that is yours and you fully control? A smart business would promote the stuff they fully control not involving another company, this is what Disney did.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nerdy McFatty. I love that image of Mr. McFatty and his un-charming family, because it's so shockingly true. Those types of visitors are going to be the downfall of all this "Immersion!", along with the rest of the today's annoying culture who will crowd this place; the Raider Nation, Disneyland Social Clubs in grimy vests, socially awkward pin traders, Grad Nite chanting mobs, narcissistic weirdos with "assistance animals" that are just their untrained Schnauzer, etc., etc.

All that said, is it weird that I am way more excited to get one of those new Coca-Cola bottles than I am any of the other custom merchandise they've released so far? I could care less about dolls and junk made to look like they were made by the residents of Batuu (Hawaiian for methamphetamines), but I really want one of those new Coke bottles!

I don't need any of this Chinese made fake Batuuvian merchandise in my life, and certainly not in my home.

SWGE-Merchandise-FP.png

But I really want the full set of these Coke and Sprite bottles! I can pass on the Dasani though. But these I will buy and keep!

Star-Wars-Land_Full_34984.jpg

It will be wise of me to purchase these this summer, because I agree that this type of stuff won't be around a year or two later. They won't keep this up, they can't keep this up; TDA and Disneyland has proven time and time again that they can't and won't and don't care enough to keep this up. Remember the Coca-Cola stand in New Tomorrowland back in 1998 that shot the Coke bottles up into the air? That lasted about a year.
BTW, I know you've made this joke forever now, Batu (not Batuu) actually means stone or rock in Tagalog which is probably why they chose to create a word based off of it since its a rocky world. And while it might be slang for Meth, its no different than saying crack, crystal, ice, Molly, smack, or any other normal word used as slang for drugs. If we stopped using words that could be a drug reference we'd run out of words to use.

Also I'm willing to put bets on the Coke bottles lasting longer than a year.

Rich Brownn

[QUOFTE="Disney Irish Bruh, post: 8652629, member: 114194"]

[/QUOTE]
Fox only owns the original Star Wars. All of the other films were owned by Lucasfilm. Fox merely distributed them. (In exchange for more funding for the first film, Fox gave Lucas rights to merchandise, sequel, characters, etc. Turned out to be the biggest mistake in recent film history).

mickEblu

Disney and Lucasfilm are on record with saying that the GE is set between TLJ and TROS, when Kylo is alive and well and Han is dead. Besides a few minor aesthetics (the Falcon dish and Poe’s X-Wing), what decisions are inconsistent with that?

Well the Falcon Dish and Poe’s X-Wing for starters.

Jk- I realized “I started a fight than I can’t finish.” Nothing major is inconsistent. I misspoke.

I’m just saying it was a creative choice for them to set the land between 8 and 9. One that I find odd synergistically when you consider ROTR will probably open around the same time Ep 9 is released in theaters where we ll probably see Kylo die or go good - which is probably why the want the land set between 8 and 9. They need the drama/ conflict for the narrative in the land - I get that. I feel that it’s an odd choice when they created this original land for everyone to play out their Star Wars fantasies in. Why lock it between 8 and 9? They should have just created a new original villain for ROTR.

Anyway, if they wanted to they could have set the land around Ep 7 and provide the same exact experiences except Han would be alive. Meaning they could come up with an excuse as to why Han is alive the same they have already provided us with the excuse why Kylo is alive when we enter Galaxies Edge after Ep 9.

@BrianLo this post was also in response to your last post.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Fox only owns the original Star Wars. All of the other films were owned by Lucasfilm. Fox merely distributed them. (In exchange for more funding for the first film, Fox gave Lucas rights to merchandise, sequel, characters, etc. Turned out to be the biggest mistake in recent film history).
Yes I'm aware, as I just posted:
True, but if you're a business and bought a property that you don't fully control. Do you promote something you don't fully control, or do you promote everything that came after that is yours and you fully control? A smart business would promote the stuff they fully control not involving another company, this is what Disney did.

They wanted to promote the Disney created sequels and create a world within that timeline in the canon, not the originals. Its as simple as that.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

You’ve never been to trader sams I see... please stop parading as if your view is the obvious one. The only obvious thing about it is how clueless it is.
that is your opinion. just as it is mine that they will only have one drink and bounce if they even decided to visit the cantina at all. unlike trader sam's this is going to have a huge line to get into the Catania and your average guest may go in the line once, have a drink and look around and bounce to experience the rest of the land because the line to get back in will be huge, the price will be very high for a drink and they are only allowed a limited time in the cantina it appears. now if the land is open for a few years and there is no time limit they then might have a drink or two. but not when the land first opens. please stop parading as if your view has any more weight over mine

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom