The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

MySmallWorldof4

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
You are artistic....have you thought about maybe making some little cards? Kind of like business cards, but you could draw a picture of the character and maybe write down A's favorite part of their movie, or her favorite line they say? And you could make multiples in case you see a character more than once.

Another option that's pretty simple is friendship bracelets? Just simple ones...

This is kind of what we're looking at making:
View attachment 361814

Cards would be a cute idea!

Cesar R M

I agree to a certain extent....I think you can be intelligent and not have a good education. You can have gone through college and even have a doctorate and be a blithering idiot. (My high school principal was proof of that) I always tell my kids that intelligence isn't that you know more than other people. Intelligence is a willingness to learn. A lot of people are impressed by a diploma/degree, or think everyone else will be impressed. But I think a lot of times, it's just bravado. And a lot of stuff is subjective. I had various English classes in college...my freshman year, I had a TA for my English class. She said her number one rule was that we shouldn't use passive voice, and one of the things she made us do was swap papers with a classmate and put a triangle around every "is" or "was" so we could edit those out. I had 3 uses of passive voice in a 2 page paper and got a C. The person I swapped with had 10+ instances of passive voice on each page and got an A. The next paper I wrote, I didn't agonize over the passive voice and had a lot more of it and I got an A. In another English class, my teacher LOVED my writing style....I never got anything less than an A, and I don't think all my work deserved an A. It's subjective, because different people have different priorities/preferences. The document doesn't mean you are intelligent....it just says you were there and did enough to graduate. But, I think college is also a great place to learn about lots of different subjects, become more well-rounded.
I agree.. the interesting part is not exactly them being a blithering idiot. Simply some people's brain works differently and cant comprehend things beyond their scope. This is particularly usual in very intelligent people who have ease to and exceed in a very specific branch of knowledge.
They could be the kings of knowledge in Chemistry.. but be total idiots in tech. and viceversa depending on the person.
Also agree the willingness to learn. There are so many people that just say "nah, why ? when they have opportunity to learn or know something.

Cesar R M

We aren't fans of pancake restaurants...not good value for what you get, and if we're going to spend the money to eat in a restaurant, we want it to be something we can't make at home. But DS won't eat most of the stuff anyway. Last time, we went to that place by the merry-go-rounds for him, but we wanted something other than theme park food (not fries and fried snacks). We went to Panorama I think....not good. It was SO expensive and we waited and waited and waited for someone to come even take our order. I think we sat there for over half an hour before we finally grabbed someone taking orders and asked if they would please stop by our table. They finally did send someone over 10 minutes later. We ordered steak and it was really poor quality, bad service. We'll eat lunch at either the merry-go-round area, or the snack stand by the big fish ride at the back, where the train stops. For lunch, we don't need anything fancy. But that isn't really picture worthy. For dinner, I need something more substantial because if I eat too much of the fried stuff, I feel awful and my stomach ties in knots. We can't really do most of the restaurants in the Efteling because DS won't eat any of it, so we either have to go to two places, or we have to eat fries again. I would much rather leave the park and go to an actual nice sit-down restaurant. Efteling closes at 6 anyway, as do the restaurants. I don't want to waste valuable park time on eating there when we can get something much better where we'll ALL eat after the park closes. Just our preference.
The park only opens until 6?
Is there a reason for that?

MySmallWorldof4

I'm sorry but I'm going to have to disagree with you.
The pannekoeken house has good pannekoeken and is a fun restaurant to eat in.
If you don't want to eat there (it might be too much stimulation for your son) you could go to the QS in the playground area (where all the merry go rounds are these days) and have kroketten and friet or kaassoefles etc. There is inside and outside seating and you'll have a nice view of all the merry go rounds.
Het Witte Paard is not good for a meal but they have nice cakes if you want a coffee break.
Just my 2 cents, I hope you have a wonderful day.
Last thing, we often bring krentebollen met I was and our own coffee and go and sit at the diarama. There are lovely train carriages there for guests to eat their own food and the kids can walk around looking at the diarama while you relax.
I have no idea what any of the food items you listed are. :hilarious:

Rista1313

You are artistic....have you thought about maybe making some little cards? Kind of like business cards, but you could draw a picture of the character and maybe write down A's favorite part of their movie, or her favorite line they say? And you could make multiples in case you see a character more than once.

Another option that's pretty simple is friendship bracelets? Just simple ones...

This is kind of what we're looking at making:
View attachment 361814
Those are SO cute! You could color code them for the different princesses.

MySmallWorldof4

When an employer sees that a person has the persistence to get that degree, that means something. It also implies one can read, process, and write actual sentences. That, in addition to all those crazy classes, gives a person a well rounded base.

A big part of college are the connections you make. For some that may be a fraternity/sorority, a certain school, a friend, a professor who knows someone. A big part of the college experience is internships. Real, working knowledge of what goes on outside of the textbook.
I don’t think that getting a college degree 30 or 40 years back was as important as today, because not everyone went to college. Now just about everyone goes, so if you don’t have a degree you won’t be considered for a job unless you just want to work at Walmart, Target, etc. My dh and I I have had this conversation before To us it seems that college has become the new “high school”, except that you pay an exorbitant amount of money for it. To get ahead now, you need at least a masters. Maybe we should be adopting more of a European model for schools so that what gets studied in higher learning is more specific to career goals. Less time would be needed to get a degree, and less money would be spent by students and parents. The ludicrous amount of debt that students end up with after a 4 year degree could be lessened. Get all the core stuff over and done with in high school. By the way this reply was not specifically targeted to you, but just as a reply to the whole discussion.

Last edited:

Songbird76

Cards would be a cute idea!
You could also glue a small seashell on Ariel's, a hershey kiss on Elsa and Anna's, etc...so she could still give the characters a sort of gift.

I also saw where someone got a big bag of lollipops and made little cards that said something about "Thanks for making our stay magical" or something, and attached a lollipop to each card and they handed them out to Characters and CMs who engaged with them or went out of their way to make them smile, etc. I thought that was a sweet idea.

Songbird76

I agree.. the interesting part is not exactly them being a blithering idiot. Simply some people's brain works differently and cant comprehend things beyond their scope. This is particularly usual in very intelligent people who have ease to and exceed in a very specific branch of knowledge.
They could be the kings of knowledge in Chemistry.. but be total idiots in tech. and viceversa depending on the person.
Also agree the willingness to learn. There are so many people that just say "nah, why ? when they have opportunity to learn or know something.
Oh if you'd met my high school principal, you'd agree...blithering idiot. I don't know HOW he got his doctorate. He didn't seem to have any particular hobbies or interests, and he just wasn't someone you could have an intelligent conversation with. He just happened to be the only applicant for the job so they hired him for lack of someone better.

Songbird76

I have no idea what any of the food items you listed are. :hilarious:
Theme park food. Pannekoeken = pancakes, but Dutch pancakes are a bit thinner than American ones...more like thick crepes. And unlike American pancake houses like Villiage Inn or Perkins, Dutch pancake restaurants only serve pancakes. And you get one pancake with your choice of topping or whatever. So you get one pancake with apples and raisins mixed in, or one pancake with a couple slices of bacon....and you pay around 10 bucks for said pancake.
Kroketten are a fried snack..in the US, you would have things like mozzarella sticks, onion rings, corn dogs....here, you have Frikandel, which is a long sausage thing

kaas soufle, which is a breaded cheese thing, but more melty

and kroketten, which are a breaded meat paste.

Kipcorn, which is like a long chicken nugget stick

And of course fries. I don't like kroket or frikandel, and neither does DD. DS likes frikandel, but not kaassouffle or kroket or kipcorn. DH will eat about anything.

But you can usually either order these things at a counter, like QS, or you get get it from a sort of vending machine wall.

Songbird76

Those are SO cute! You could color code them for the different princesses.
We made some for ourselves for our 2016 trip. I can't find a picture of the ones for that trip, except the ones of DD wearing hers.

And here are some other ones we made

Sorry...it's a bit dark. But you get the idea. The ones we made for Disney were more bright pink and the charms on the side were like a daisy, and a heart. But you can definitely make the charms and colors reflect specific characters. Maybe dark blue with a bear charm for Merida, aqua with a seashell for Ariel, light blue with a shoe for Cinderella, Yellow with a rose for Belle.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom