News 'Disney After Hours' ticketed event

Purduevian

Again... the afterhours events are not even scheduled for August. My original post stated that the problem that I have with it... is IF they do get scheduled on a night we are there that I will have to reschedule things. And yes they do in fact change their closing hours... because as I stated they did exactly that years back when we were burned. I am not overthinking anything and no as of now, I do not need to change anything... just saying that IF the do change to put in an Afterhours event... that that is what I have the problem with.

Are you saying Disney shortens park hours after they have been announced if there is a DAH? I know Disney can and will alter hours as it gets closer to the date, but I've never heard of them shortening them. I've only ever heard of them lengthening days or adding EMHs.

ImperfectPixie

Are you saying Disney shortens park hours after they have been announced if there is a DAH? I know Disney can and will alter hours as it gets closer to the date, but I've never heard of them shortening them. I've only ever heard of them lengthening days or adding EMHs.
We generally visit WDW in the fall, and yes, we've often been burned by the hours being shortened, which equals me needing to reshuffle things.

JohnD

We generally visit WDW in the fall, and yes, we've often been burned by the hours being shortened, which equals me needing to reshuffle things.

That has nothing to do with DAH. Time was hours were shortened because “less busy”. Good luck with that after SW:GE opens. The point here is that regular hours are not shortened before scheduling a DAH.

DABIGCHEEZ

That has nothing to do with DAH. Time was hours were shortened because “less busy”. Good luck with that after SW:GE opens. The point here is that regular hours are not shortened before scheduling a DAH.
You beleive what you want... I have been burned by shortening of regular park hours for some Afterhours event that was scheduled after park hours are posted. May not have been this specific edition of DAH... but they in fact do shorten the hours to schedule in a money grab. I know others have posted about similar situations. Just because you personally are not effected by something... doesn't mean that it does not in fact happen.

Last edited:

DABIGCHEEZ

But if you have advance ADRs as the other poster commented, those wouldn't be affected -- you already have them. Look, I scheduled a trip before DAH was known to occur on my HS day, May 1. I'm not sweating it and not re-scheduling anything because of DAH. Why should I? My ADRs and FPs are already set. But if someone else wants to make themselves miserable over an event that they aren't planning on going to, that's their business.
I do not know how else get you to understand the point I am making... so I am done trying to explain it to you. Oh and BTW... no one is making themselves miserable over this at all, but thanks for your concern.

JohnD

You beleive what you want... I have been burned by shortening of regular park hours for some Afterhours event that was scheduled after park hours are posted. May not have been this specific edition of DAH... but they in fact do shorten the hours to schedule in a money grab. I know others have posted about similar situations. Just because you personally are not effected by something... doesn't mean that it does not in fact happen.

All I can say is, make your plans. Don't second guess yourself. I'm trying to be helpful here. Good luck!

carolina_yankee

Disney After Hours extended to the summer

It seems Disney has pulled the May 7 date for DAH at AK.

I tried to book it through DVC for the discount. They could see it, but couldn't book it so they sent me to ticketing.

Ticketing could see it also, and also couldn't book it. The CM remembered a memo saying that it's been pulled and that IT has it on their list to update the website. Quite frustrating. Both calls took quite a bit of time as each person needed to consult their supervisor.

If you try to book, you get all the way to Purchase, and then get an error message.

I'm curious why the May 7 date at AK would be canceled since there are several dates before and after.

Dirk

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
May 7 Disney After Hours event at Disney's Animal Kingdom cancelled

Missing20K

carolina_yankee

May 7 Disney After Hours event at Disney's Animal Kingdom cancelled

Thanks for the confirmation. I kept trying to book on the off-chance the CMs were misinformed and the website just needed an IT tweak. Apparently the needed tweak is the removal of the date! Sigh.

Some group or company probably has the May 7th booked for the evening. When looking at guaranteed profits verses unknown sales, they'd be fools not to take the money up front. Disney's no fool.

Honestly, this happens a lot on some cruise lines, too. They sell a cruise, then a group offers to book the ship, so the cruise is canceled and those who booked are left up the creek without a ship.

I'm not sure I begrudge Disney doing that, given how early this is after the new dates were extended (maybe it was a communication error inside the company), but it's aggravating that the website showed the date and I had to spend 30 minutes on hold with both DVC CMs and Ticketing CMs to find out the event was unbookable.

Nice recovery would be to choose a different night that week since most vacations are week to week. We could actually do 5/14 but with an early flight the next day and work the day after, it's probably not worth it. Now to see if I can rearrange my carefully planned FPs and ADRs to make 5/9's MK DAH event.

Hard to believe that many people want to stay up till midnight at AK of all places on a Sunday night...

It's actually a Tuesday. Of the three on offer during our time there, this is the one we looked forward to the most. All rides virtual walk-ons. Of course, no animal experiences, but we would have enjoyed those earlier in the day. I was looking forward to a nearly empty park after dark and three hours of doing our favorites multiple times.

Dirk

dizneeboy

With the hyper-planning Disney has forced us to adhere to over the years, it is kind of lame to cancel this a month out if guests had planned around it. Would be interesting to see if it was another event pushing it out or if it hadn't sold out and the cost to keep the park opened outweighed the number of guests that had purchased tickets.

carolina_yankee

With the hyper-planning Disney has forced us to adhere to over the years, it is kind of lame to cancel this a month out if guests had planned around it. Would be interesting to see if it was another event pushing it out or if it hadn't sold out and the cost to keep the park opened outweighed the number of guests that had purchased tickets.

The thing is, they had just started selling tickets when they canceled it. Maybe the did decide it was too close (though a month away) and sales weren’t doing what they wanted, but they could have easily given it a little more time. Other DAK DAH events have sold out.

I wouldn’t be surprised to find out it’s a special event, but I more suspect that there was miscommunication over the date when the assembled their internal information. It was left on the website for several days after canceling, which adds to the frustration.

And yes, it is lame!

Dirk

peoplemover

I guess that explains why they called twice today. I don’t think they can offer an alternative day since it’s only offered once a week.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom