News Disney Villains After Hours coming to the Magic Kingdom

Kman101

I’d say the complaints stem from attendance vs capacity growth. People remember it being less crowded and enjoyed it more. When attendance for Magic Kingdom was 11 million in 1994 vs 20.5 million in 2017 without a growth in the park’s capacity, it’s seen as an issue because the experience is vastly different for the guest. Sure you can do everything in a week, but when there was a better capacity/attendance balance you could do much more.

BINGO! Nailed it.

Magenta Panther

I just got back from Disney World a few weeks ago. There are much cheaper hotels off property even if you include paying the daily $25 parking fee at the parks.

Disney says that they added the parking fee at the hotels because it is the "industry standard"...but most hotels off Disney don't charge for parking and many don't even charge a resort fee.

In addition, many of those hotels offer a free hot breakfast buffet in the morning. Disney doesn't even offer that with all the money they charge to stay at their hotels....even their "value" resorts.

Rooms outside of Disney are bigger. Housekeeping is better. Service is better. It's not as crowded. Rooms are actually quiet. I don't have to hear jet engine flushes all around me throughout the night and into the morning. I don't have to hear kids running around outside my hotel like it is their playground. And the doors don't slam shut like they do at Disney hotels.
Also, The pools are not as crowded.

As much as I love Disney it's just not worth staying at the hotels any longer especially if you are driving yourself down or renting a car.

You make some very good points. May I ask what off-site hotel you stayed at?

And don't a lot of hotels offer shuttle service to the parks and back?

Hmmm....

Kman101

I don't agree the parks are too expensive but I will agree that their resorts are a joke. Not a single deluxe resort is actually deluxe. I wouldn't say I am a frequent traveler but I do it enough to know that anyone who thinks the Grand is a quality hotel are kidding themselves. For example, I had the single greatest front desk experience at a hotel in Miami this past January. We were staying on for one night. Yet the front desk host went out of her way to recommend dining, shopping, entertainment etc. She even offered us a room upgrade at a reduced cost, free late check-out, among others. That has never happened anytime I've been going to WDW hotels. .

Hotel service at Disney is very much a joke, IMO. Of course there are always some castmember exceptions, but that's the rarity now. I have much better experiences at other hotels too, that, actually, you know, do it right and care about being in the hotel service industry. Some real hotel service training would go a long way, but then, you can't just shove everyone into roles either and they do ...

ppete1975

It's not really an "event", per say. It's After Hours (basically paid Extra Magic Hours) with a Villains theme (which now "allows" them to charge more). People seem to get hung up on 'event' when I see it for what it is ...
Disneyland has been doing a lot of them with just photo ops and meet and greets, what was it retro night that did really really well a few months ago.. just so you had meet and greets and could take fun pics.

Kman101

Disneyland has been doing a lot of them with just photo ops and meet and greets, what was it retro night that did really really well a few months ago.. just so you had meet and greets and could take fun pics.

Yeah, they did it better for sure. But that was a one time event (I imagine it gets done again because it was very popular). I can understand why folks expect more just based on how they present it, but I guess I just see it for what they are not what they try and paint it as, lol.

I look at After Hours as a "pay for Extra Magic Hours" option, which IMO it really is. It's not an 'event' like Villains Unleashed. But they try and blur the line ... I have mixed feelings on this actually.

It's so funny though. They created their own demand for meet and greets and are now "sorry not sorry" ... lol.

If this were a one time, another Villains Unleashed, I'd gripe about the no meet and greets too. But this is really just Extra Magic Hours. And I don't really think m&g's are a part of After Hours (some may be, but I have no idea, I didn't pay attention to those when I did the 'event').

I think what gets people is to most, this is an "event", but it's really kinda ... not. So I think that's why so many are kind of mixed on this. It's just Extra Magic Hours with a Villains theme. You'd literally spend all three hours waiting in line to meet one villain. But again, they created this demand and now don't want to deal with it.

90s Night at Disneyland was a true After Hours event (reminded me of DVC Moonlight Magic, honestly, and they do it better, usually, though I think they've dropped the ball a slight bit lately). This isn't an 'event', at least to me. But I don't think it's wrong that some expect it should be more of an event.

I'll be that guy and say I remember the days you could meet Hook and Smee next to Tortuga, Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear used to be regularly in Frontierland ... just an example. Meanwhile, Hook, Cruella, Facilier ... among others, freely roam Disneyland ...

Long muddled rant I guess, but I don't think it's wrong to have the expectation of an event, but in actuality, it's not meant to be. It's weird marketing I guess. (Just like AP'ers who walked into VIPassholder After Hours expecting it to be on the level of Moonlight Magic ... it's just Extra Magic Hours for Passholders ... it's not an 'event', but it should be)

ppete1975

Yeah, they did it better for sure. But that was a one time event (I imagine it gets done again because it was very popular). I can understand why folks expect more just based on how they present it, but I guess I just see it for what they are not what they try and paint it as, lol.

I look at After Hours as a "pay for Extra Magic Hours" option, which IMO it really is. It's not an 'event' like Villains Unleashed. But they try and blur the line ... I have mixed feelings on this actually.

It's so funny though. They created their own demand for meet and greets and are now "sorry not sorry" ... lol.

If this were a one time, another Villains Unleashed, I'd gripe about the no meet and greets too. But this is really just Extra Magic Hours. And I don't really think m&g's are a part of After Hours (some may be, but I have no idea, I didn't pay attention to those when I did the 'event').

I think what gets people is to most, this is an "event", but it's really kinda ... not. So I think that's why so many are kind of mixed on this. It's just Extra Magic Hours with a Villains theme. You'd literally spend all three hours waiting in line to meet one villain. But again, they created this demand and now don't want to deal with it.

90s Night at Disneyland was a true After Hours event (reminded me of DVC Moonlight Magic, honestly, and they do it better, usually, though I think they've dropped the ball a slight bit lately). This isn't an 'event', at least to me. But I don't think it's wrong that some expect it should be more of an event.

I'll be that guy and say I remember the days you could meet Hook and Smee next to Tortuga, Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear used to be regularly in Frontierland ... just an example. Meanwhile, Hook, Cruella, Facilier ... among others, freely roam Disneyland ...

Long muddled rant I guess, but I don't think it's wrong to have the expectation of an event, but in actuality, it's not meant to be. It's weird marketing I guess. (Just like AP'ers who walked into VIPassholder After Hours expecting it to be on the level of Moonlight Magic ... it's just Extra Magic Hours for Passholders ... it's not an 'event', but it should be)
nah I agree with you, in my eyes there are way too many meet and greets now and those are considered attractions. When I was a kid you walked around and if you saw a character you were lucky.. and you just ran up and hugged them. But I also remember being a bit sad because I didn't see mickey or Donald or pluto (my favs) I only say chip and dale and a few of the robin hood characters. So if I was a kid I'm sure id want to meet a few of them, so I see the demand.. but I don't understand the wait 2 hours to do a fun pic with a special wall or a meet and greet...
I think part of the angst of the villians "event" is so many people want more villians... like a 5th park or an area dedicated to them. This shows Disney knows that villains are an attraction but aren't doing anything ride or true attraction wise to meet it. OF course its hard to do villains and stay kid friendly I'm sure.

Kman101

nah I agree with you, in my eyes there are way too many meet and greets now and those are considered attractions. When I was a kid you walked around and if you saw a character you were lucky.. and you just ran up and hugged them. But I also remember being a bit sad because I didn't see mickey or Donald or pluto (my favs) I only say chip and dale and a few of the robin hood characters. So if I was a kid I'm sure id want to meet a few of them, so I see the demand.. but I don't understand the wait 2 hours to do a fun pic with a special wall or a meet and greet...
I think part of the angst of the villians "event" is so many people want more villians... like a 5th park or an area dedicated to them. This shows Disney knows that villains are an attraction but aren't doing anything ride or true attraction wise to meet it. OF course its hard to do villains and stay kid friendly I'm sure.

It's funny you brought up the meet and greet thing. Not to get too far off topic, but I was in the MK on Monday and Judy was just casually meeting guests in front of the Emporium. No massive line. No crowds. People could be in the center of the town square (where meet and greets are with a line) and seemed to love taking photos there. It was so nice because it briefly reminded me of Disneyland. I do miss that. I don't mind some 'set' meet and greets, personally. I always thought they could them nicer and AC is a nice plus ... but there's just something special about seeing them out without a true queue line. I think they just like to regulate it and sometimes you have to, unfortunately. (I'm torn on the meet and greet thing ... it does feel bizarre to see like two hour waits sometimes ... but I also think it's nice to "know" you can meet certain characters)

I agree on the angst. I saw so many just say "nope" when they realized it would be no meet and greets ... Disney needs to figure out a better way. I mean you can barely meet villains at the Halloween party ...

And look how folks flipped their lid when Disney tried to do something different with Oogie Boogie's Freaky Funhouse (or whatever it was called) ... they always seem to end up in a no win situation.

Patcheslee

From a financial point I'm suprised there aren't more Early Morning Magic days. If you figure everyone has to purchase daily admission plus the EMM admission Disney can get $188- $218 for a single day visit to $126-$136 with a single park 10day. Vs $125-139 After Hours is because you don't need the day ticket.

Animaniac93-98

I am a huge Disney villain fan, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot offered for the price. When I saw the title of the thread, I was hoping it was another event like the Villain's Sinister Soiree: A Wicked Takeover of Cinderella's Castle (2014). Except not with a halloween party this time. The interactions during that event were top notch, and it was in the castle. Not sure why they don't do that again - now that's an upcharge people will pay for. Anything in the castle.

Disney now instead has CRT open during the Halloween party like any other evening and charges almost as much as VSS was for the Terrace fireworks viewing. They make more money that way.

Kingtut

If the park is open from 9am to 10pm, even 11pm, that's a sufficent whole day. Anything more is just fans being self-centered. Unless I'm mistaken Disney doesn't not specify what a full day is. So they could be open from 8am to 5pm 365 days a year and charge $200. You're still getting a full 8 hour day 🤷‍♂️

And again, nobody cares what they did in 1990 or 1980 or 1971 or even 2005. Those days are dead and gone. Accept what they have now for deal with. They dont care about what you want. Why should you?
So quietly accept the increased cost, deceased hours, reduced customer service , and massive crowds like the sheep you should be. In fact the sheeple should be happy we open the parks at all and be grateful for any happy experiences that may happen by chance.

I can totally see how that is a prescription for making things better/ more enjoyable for the customers who ARE paying money for the experience. If you are just accept whatever they throw at you - it will never get better.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
While having logistical issues to implement, I'm surprised Disney doesn't sell discounted half-day tickets, especially during the Summer. Day tickets would be 8 AM to 4 PM and evening tickets 4 PM to 12 AM.

DisneyOutsider

While having logistical issues to implement, I'm surprised Disney doesn't sell discounted half-day tickets, especially during the Summer. Day tickets would be 8 AM to 4 PM and evening tickets 4 PM to 12 AM.

My guess is the difficulty of implementation and enforcing a half-day ticket... specifically the "Day" version. What stops you from just staying and doing whatever you want?

eliza61nyc

A lot of hotels do offer shuttle service to the parks.

I actually forget the name. It had Maingate in the name. That much I recall.

Oh....and I am a veteran and my hotel offered a special rate for veterans. Disney doesn't offer ANY veteran discounts. Only active duty.

Oh I thought shades of green was for both Veterans and active duty? I don't know, that's a question. a friend of mine is a retired marine and he goes often.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The only really positive things I can say about Eisner are:
  • He was responsible for the animation renaissance at Disney
  • He cared very much about customer service and it was exemplary at the parks during his tenure
  • He cared about cleanliness at the parks..which was also exemplary during his tenure
  • And he cared very much about the food quality at the parks. I didn't mind paying high prices for food if we were getting superior quality.
All of the above have fallen under the hands of Iger.

Eisner did ALOT in retrospect that made Disney what it is.

Some of it was the 80’s...some of it was wells...some of it was steady hands on the board...ALOT Was Roy....

But the lions share was eisner.

When he got there...the Magic kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland were really the ONLY thing that was working....the rest had to be built/brought back.

He was rightly criticized...but in the end, he will go down as better than iger - who is altering the core of what it is and not on a good trajectory.

Get yo popcorn

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I actually think that is the motto is Disney's business plan, "Pay up. You're lucky we even let you in here."
It sadly is getting too close to that...

We Disney fans - especially here - are really selfish.

We want to believe we are entitled to our happy place and it is inherently “good” on all
Levels. But the reality is this management is not.

Few can detach themselves even for a few minutes to look at the trend objectively. Falling for the “D” and making empty patronizing quips instead of looking at what is happening.

It’s said...you don’t want something you love to run roughshod over time.

And bob iger isnt lovebale Enough for any consideration. Just me.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Shades of Green is only for career retired veterans and current active duty. I served as an officer for 7 years and then ended my time, I also was enlisted prior to that and served during the Persian Gulf War, but I can't get into Shades of Green without a career retired or active duty sponsor to stay during my time there.

Disney hotels should offer veteran discounts. The very good hotel off site was $150 per night and $135 with the veteran discount. Disney could very easily do that and simply require a VA card as proof. They do not because now Disney is all about money..sadly.

They cannot as currently constructed because they don’t have the inventory to support that type of policy.

There only “surplus” are the really expensive high priced rooms
And they have slowly converted/knocked them out for dvc

eliza61nyc

Shades of Green is only for career retired veterans and current active duty. I served as an officer for 7 years and then ended my time, I also was enlisted prior to that and served during the Persian Gulf War, but I can't get into Shades of Green without a career retired or active duty sponsor to stay during my time there.

Disney hotels should offer veteran discounts. The very good hotel off site was $150 per night and $135 with the veteran discount. Disney could very easily do that and simply require a VA card as proof. They do not because now Disney is all about money..sadly.
Did they ever offer VA discounts?
You can use the discount offered to the general public on resorts, those are usually decent.
I think they currently have a 25% discount on rooms.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They can offer a discount and it really won't hurt their bottom line. Hell, they already charge anywhere from $13 to $24 per night parking fee if you bring your own vehicle. A simple $10 or $15 per night discount will barely make a dent in their profit margin.

And that's the other problem I have recently with Disney. EVERY new hotel they are building is for DVC members. They are catering only to the DVC members and trying to lure more and more of them into WDW to the point where regular guests staying at Disney resorts are going to start being phased out by cost alone. It is becoming the haves vs the have nots.

When I have to almost spend a mortgage payment to stay for 5 nights in a Disney value resort....that's not much of a "value".

Add to that that the more hotels they build the more they are increasing the capacity at the parks.
But they are not increasing the ride capacities, improving the flow in the queues, or expanding any rides to handle the ever increasing volume of guests.

How long is too long to wait on line for a ride when even with fastpass+ there is sometimes a long wait.

I’m not saying they’d hurt their bottom line...I’m saying they may not have enough rooms in the right categories and it could push more people offsiteZ

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom