Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Quite the appropriate advertisement .

PorterRedkey

I'm not sure that MJ doesn't have more to do with it. Right now, tobacco smoking is illegal in certain places, but otherwise it's up to a property owner setting rules. It is not illegal for those over a certain age to possess or smoke in designated areas - only if you violate the rules will you be asked to leave, and you have no legal recourse. The owner cannot have you arrested for violating an owner imposed rule unless you refuse to abide it.

However, MJ IS illegal unless you have a medical license to use it - which is a different conversation; I'm already seeing ads for "Get Your Medical License Here!" .
How would a CM know if you are legally using it? He/she would have to ask to see your license. A CM selling alcohol can control sales - no license showing you can legally purchase it, no sale, but they have no control over the sale and use of MJ, so would have to go around each smoking area asking for licenses. If no license, security would have to be notified as the guest would be breaking the law - not just a park rule.

Wouldn't it be much easier for WDW to have smokers right next to security so a CM would not have to wait to resolve the issue? And would someone who is breaking the law hang around until security/police show up?
Even CMs asking for medically marijuana cards may violate HIPPA protections. That wouldn’t be the case with law enforcement.

You also get into the whole “why is my medicine banned, but not everyone else's?” It’s a nonsense argument, but I’m sure Disney doesn’t want to be associated with a lawsuit about people smoking pot in their family parks.

Tony the Tigger

"Steam" implies water. There is no water in vape juice; but some of the exhaled vapor might contain moisture from one's breath. What it does contain is PG/VG. Optionally, there's also flavor, menthol and/or nicotine... Worth pointing out that the PG/VG, flavors and menthol are food grade. The only thing "negative" is the nicotine - which is addictive (and not bad for you per se).

PG: Propylene glycol is a synthetic organic compound. It is a viscous, colorless liquid which is nearly odorless but possesses a faintly sweet taste.

VG: Glycerol is a simple polyol compound. It is a colorless, odorless, viscous liquid that is sweet-tasting and non-toxic.

Because FACTS, people. 👍

It can also be CBD.

Last year, my car was peppered with sand from the Sahara, a couple of thousand miles away. the wind is a strange phenomena. I have also seen the wind lift up and then dump live fish into a hotel car park 30 miles from the sea. Neither of these things were a regular occurrence. I doubt wind conditions that will blow smoke of any concentration over an 75-100 yard stretch of EPCOT is particularly frequent.

Yeah, Florida is never windy. Not even in the fall.

I have a new theory... 🤔

Disney is trying to be clever about people not smoking weed in the parks under the guise of banning smoking altogether.

I think I posted your new theory about 800 pages ago.

Will they give us a cigarette along with the blindfold?

Yes. In a Ziplock bag from Splash Mountain.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Yes. In a Ziplock bag from Splash Mountain.

But wait.....isn't plastic being phased out? And soon to be "against the rules"? Are you suggesting that if there is a boatload of cash associated - Disney might selectively enforce their own rules (Environmental stance)? Nah.

But if that's the case maybe, if caught, I can use an "Abe Lincoln" handshake to get the CM to look the other way ;)

draybook

And the number of vapors sky rockets. Your logic is wrong. Since vaping is listed by the US government as a “tobacco product “ which is clearly wrong according to every scientist and anyone with common sense you have to include them in your summation. ( They we’re losing to much tax money to people quitting smoking so decided not that long ago to put vaping in that category to collect their lost funds).

Amazes me how the government preaches about quitting and to improve your health, people listen, then they institute a high tax because they never had the foresight to know where their lost revenue will now come from.

Good read. Thank you very much for providing some substance to your response. That's a very welcome method as opposed to the song and dance that some folks provide.

Of course, said person is still wrong about the smoking area being isolated and it's definitely more than "20 paces". I could have spit and hit the shoes of at least 4 people that were smoking at the location I provided a photo of.

And I don't get why said gentleman thinks I hate smokers. I hate the vice, not the person. Our smoking area at work is right by the front door and I have to smell it every time I go to work. I hate that but don't hate my co-workers. Well, not most of them but that's because some of them are lazy mofos.

Anyhow, again, thank you for the interesting and informative read.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So honestly, putting the smoking areas where they are, are perfectly legal - decided upon by Disney's whim alone. They don't NEED to do anything for anyone.
And yet, they have improved the parks for the vast majority of the guests who pay lots of money to be in them.

The only question now comes down to enforcement over the selfish behavior of the rule breakers.

Look at the wording of their park rules carefully. "Smoking of marijuana or other illegal substances is not permitted at any time." Well, marijuana is no longer illegal (medicinally).
You should call your local DEA office with this theory. You might be surprised by their answer.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Something doesn't jive. The wind was NNW at 15mph at 5:30pm. Going by your photo, you were standing approximately where the "D" is in the photo, facing the smokers. Basically, the light breeze would've blown the smoke away from both The Land and Nemo, towards the bathrooms(ish).

View attachment 361260
Those trees and the monorail track induce eddies in the airflow, so it's entirely plausible they were able to smell the smoking area under those conditions.

Poly71

I would think smoking in the bathroom would be difficult b/c there is always a CM cleaning and could report a smoker.

Castle Cake Apologist

My friend used to work at a place where she was one of 3 office ladies, none of them smoked, and a few men that did other work, all of whom smoked. The ladies would notice that the guys would go out for a smoke break about every hour while they were inside working. So they decided that every time the guys went for another break, they would take a break too and sit down. Well the boss noticed them taking all of these breaks and asked them what they thought they were doing taking so many breaks. The simply replied that we are taking our "smoke" break every time that the guys are. Boss walked away without saying anything and a few weeks later there was a limit to how many smoke breaks people could take. They did a study that showed that the average smoker takes about 20 extra minutes a day break just to smoke. Which is about 20 days a year that smokers are taking extra for a break.

But that still just sounds like bad management to me. Why are these employers letting their employees just have a break free for all? I guess I'll say again that I work in an office with thousands of employees (corporate headquarters of a Fortune 50). Every employee is entitled to two 15 minute rest breaks and one 30-60 minute meal break each day. If they take additional breaks, or take extra time on these breaks, they are disciplined.

I still want to know where these offices are that everybody keeps bringing up in here where employees just take as many breaks as they want whenever they want. Other than when I was server in college, I've never seen anything like that at any professional job I've had.

ImperfectPixie

But that still just sounds like bad management to me. Why are these employers letting their employees just have a break free for all? I guess I'll say again that I work in an office with thousands of employees (corporate headquarters of a Fortune 50). Every employee is entitled to two 15 minute rest breaks and one 30-60 minute meal break each day. If they take additional breaks, or take extra time on these breaks, they are disciplined.

I still want to know where these offices are that everybody keeps bringing up in here where employees just take as many breaks as they want whenever they want. Other than when I was server in college, I've never seen anything like that at any professional job I've had.
I think you'll find that places that lean towards allowing smoke breaks during down-times are most often small-ish, privately owned companies. Let's not forget that happy employees are more productive employees and happy employees are more likely to go out of the way for a boss who treats them well.

ETA: It doesn't necessarily equate to bad management, either. As I mentioned earlier, me and a co-worker increased our department's productivity by 30%. Funny part is that one way we were able to accomplish that was to suggest that we eliminate the daily morning meeting that included EVERY employee and limit it to me, my partner, the boss, and other department heads, and also to limit the daily meeting content to those jobs that required inter-departmental coordination. These meetings had originally been structured and lead by the boss, but when we showed him how many man-hours were wasted by employees who really didn't need to be present, he conceded. There were many other procedures we put in place and techniques we developed to save time as well, but that was a big, easy fix. Prior to our increasing productivity, the boss was more of a "chew-em-up-and-spit-em-out" kinda guy, but he mellowed considerably once we showed him we were worth being nice to.

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

Good read. Thank you very much for providing some substance to your response. That's a very welcome method as opposed to the song and dance that some folks provide.

Of course, said person is still wrong about the smoking area being isolated and it's definitely more than "20 paces". I could have spit and hit the shoes of at least 4 people that were smoking at the location I provided a photo of.

And I don't get why said gentleman thinks I hate smokers. I hate the vice, not the person. Our smoking area at work is right by the front door and I have to smell it every time I go to work. I hate that but don't hate my co-workers. Well, not most of them but that's because some of them are lazy mofos.

Anyhow, again, thank you for the interesting and informative read.
Just trying to bring the yelling and screaming from both sides to a point that both parties understand all the dynamics in this new law by Disney. Bottom line is everyone wants to have a great time at one of the best destinations in the world. There have been some great solutions posted on this thread that just got beat up and thrown out because of that sides agenda. Solutions and working together always beats yelling and your wrong confrontations. My main peeve is the abundance of misinformation posted so I just usually try and jump in when something is blatantly wrong.
And thanks by the way.

draybook

Just trying to bring the yelling and screaming from both sides to a point that both parties understand all the dynamics in this new law by Disney. Bottom line is everyone wants to have a great time at one of the best destinations in the world. There have been some great solutions posted on this thread that just got beat up and thrown out because of that sides agenda. Solutions and working together always beats yelling and your wrong confrontations. My main peeve is the abundance of misinformation posted so I just usually try and jump in when something is blatantly wrong.
And thanks by the way.

Honestly, a building with controlled airflow would be a great happy medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom