Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kman101

I smoked. I quit. Will power > addiction. People need to stop using that "addiction" crutch.

And you should know better than to have the attitude you do. Not everyone is you ;)

Apparently you weren't truly addicted ;) Do you get how that comes across?

It's always the ex smokers who are often the most harsh or judgemental towards someone. "Well I quit" ... and good for you on doing that! :)

eliza61nyc

Just to clarify... This is out?

il_fullxfull.1684913653_3wnz.jpg
omg, I remember this. too funny. You get a gold star for this one.

draybook

Hey, if you two want to make excuses for people who will deny their families ability to make memories at Disney because they can't stop smoking for a week, that's on you. I won't. And yeah, I'm a bit harsh because I don't sugar coat anything. If your family isn't your top priority, you'll get no sympathy from me.

BoarderPhreak

Hey, if you two want to make excuses for people who will deny their families ability to make memories at Disney because they can't stop smoking for a week, that's on you. I won't. And yeah, I'm a bit harsh because I don't sugar coat anything. If your family isn't your top priority, you'll get no sympathy from me.
Thankfully, no one needs your sympathy. Maybe they decided that, you know, the real world is a better place to make memories? Not everything revolves around Disney. Shocking, I know. 🤷‍♂️

draybook

Thankfully, no one needs your sympathy. Maybe they decided that, you know, the real world is a better place to make memories? Not everything revolves around Disney. Shocking, I know. 🤷‍♂️

Yet here we are debating on a DISNEY board and you guys are mad because DISNEY is banning smoking. That's cool. We'll be there, enjoying a smoke free environment with our strollers that meet the size requirements.

edited to add: they didn't decide to make memories elsewhere, they decided that their selfish needs were more important than abiding by the new rules. That's literally what they're saying on these pages and forums. They're saying that they can go places where they can smoke.

Kman101

I agree it's extreme to say "no more Disney" because of this. You were talking about that, but I wasn't referring to that. If you indeed were a smoker (how long?), you know better than to just say "I quit you should too". But yeah, if they can't go to Disney without smoking, I understand your lack of sympathy. I agree, to a certain extent.

I was just talking more in general ... not about the extreme reactions towards it. I actually do feel badly for someone if they think they can't go a few hours. It's sad, isn't it not? I don't think you need to have sympathy, but as a supposed former smoker, I'd think you'd have a tiny bit more empathy. But again, it is extreme to say "no Disney ever again". I mean, you can walk to the entrance and go out and puff. It's not hard ...

I guess anyone could use that argument though. You can't go to dinner and not have an alcoholic beverage? (not towards you; just saying ...)

Kman101

Actually she didn't assume anything. She said if a smoker can make it on a 14 hour flight. If you are a smoker and take a 14 or 11 hour flight...you are not allowed to smoke the entire time. So if you can hold out during any long flight....you can hold out for a day in a Disney Park.

That's true. If you truly can't go without ... but some really are that addicted. Not an excuse for them, it's just the truth. Until you're there ...

I mean, a lot of smokers work 8-12 hour days. When I smoked I'd go hours. But the craving is real. I'm sorry some of you don't understand the level of addiction sometimes and that it's not just as easy as some of you to say "well, I quit" ... mentally, a lot of people can't get there.

But we're starting to go down that slippery slope again, so I feel like I've said all I need to. I don't want Mom to have to remind us all to be nice to each other (heaven forbid we have some empathy towards people).

draybook

I agree it's extreme to say "no more Disney" because of this. You were talking about that, but I wasn't referring to that. If you indeed were a smoker (how long?), you know better than to just say "I quit you should too". But yeah, if they can't go to Disney without smoking, I understand your lack of sympathy. I agree, to a certain extent.

I was just talking more in general ... not about the extreme reactions towards it. I actually do feel badly for someone if they think they can't go a few hours. It's sad, isn't it not? I don't think you need to have sympathy, but as a supposed former smoker, I'd think you'd have a tiny bit more empathy. But again, it is extreme to say "no Disney ever again". I mean, you can walk to the entrance and go out and puff. It's not hard ...

I guess anyone could use that argument though. You can't go to dinner and not have an alcoholic beverage? (not towards you; just saying ...)

I dig what you're saying. I should have stated that I wasn't a hardcore smoker and I only smoked for a handful of years, maybe 5 or 6. I just can't imagine someone putting their family on the backburner because they can't go without their smokes.

BoarderPhreak

Yet here we are debating on a DISNEY board and you guys are mad because DISNEY is banning smoking. That's cool. We'll be there, enjoying a smoke free environment with our strollers that meet the size requirements.
Again, not everything revolves around Disney. We are a minority on this board. An extremely small minority.

They're probably going to be kicking back, eating croissants on the Rue Cremieux and washing it down with a coffee and a smoke and perfectly okay with that.

I dig what you're saying. I should have stated that I wasn't a hardcore smoker and I only smoked for a handful of years, maybe 5 or 6. I just can't imagine someone putting their family on the backburner because they can't go without their smokes.
Then you have no real concept of addiction. That practically falls under "social smoker." There are people out there that have smoked decades or even their entire adult lives. We appreciate your "insights" but really, they're not adding value in this context.

Kman101

I dig what you're saying. I should have stated that I wasn't a hardcore smoker and I only smoked for a nahdful of years, maybe 5 or 6. I just can't imagine someone putting their family on the backburner because they can't go without their smokes.

No worries :) My mom has smoked from the age of 14 until now, and she's almost 70. And she's healthy. Bizarrely healthy. It's sad to hear my mom refer to it as "like having a friend" but addiction is strange (she uses cigarette filters now; not quite the same as quitting but it's a start ... and she can easily go on flights and spend hours in the parks without, but sometimes, it's just smoking because you can, most CAN go without for a few hours ... but it's bizarrely hard sometimes!). It really can mess with your mind. For me, I went without, and to be addicted and then stop. It's an interesting process. Just not the same for everyone. But I do agree. Making Disney family memories is far more important than refusing to go because you can't smoke inside of the park. That's very extreme. And I think it's just some people are being over dramatic ... lol

draybook

Again, not everything revolves around Disney. We are a minority on this board. An extremely small minority.

They're probably going to be kicking back, eating croissants on the Rue Cremieux and washing it down with a coffee and a smoke and perfectly okay with that.

Then you have no real concept of addiction. That practically falls under "social smoker." There are people out there that have smoked decades or even their entire adult lives. We appreciate your "insights" but really, they're not adding value in this context.

I've had addictions that I broke but I won't be disussing them. I also have a brother in law who's hooked on meth and other drugs. He's been sitting down at 201 since mid-late 2017 on multiple charges, including drug possession. He lost his house, credit, son, job, etc due to the drug problem he got after getting with the chick he's married to. He gets no sympathy from me. Of course it's my opinion, but this "addiction" crap is a crutch.

draybook

No worries :) My mom has smoked from the age of 14 until now, and she's almost 70. And she's healthy. Bizarrely healthy. It's sad to hear my mom refer to it as "like having a friend" but addiction is strange (she uses cigarette filters now; not quite the same as quitting but it's a start ... and she can easily go on flights and spend hours in the parks without, but sometimes, it's just smoking because you can, most CAN go without for a few hours ... but it's bizarrely hard sometimes!). It really can mess with your mind. For me, I went without, and to be addicted and then stop. It's an interesting process. Just not the same for everyone. But I do agree. Making Disney family memories is far more important than refusing to go because you can't smoke inside of the park. That's very extreme. And I think it's just some people are being over dramatic ... lol

Yeah, my mom smoked for like 20 years, quit, then picked it back up and then quit again.

Kman101

Yeah, my mom smoked for like 20 years, quit, then picked it back up and then quit again.

And for my Grandma (who passed away 10 years ago now; not from smoking ...), she smoked and just one day, stopped. Just like that. Everyone's different :)

My uncle was a heavy smoker. For some health reasons (circulation in his legs, same as my Dad, who also used to smoke and just one day, stopped), he was able to stop.

As I'm sure you know, you just have to get into a place mentally for it. And someone telling you to stop is more than likely going to make you puff even more LOL. My stepdad was always on my Mom about smoking because he too is an ex-smoker, and she sure didn't stop, lol

Anywho ... it is interesting who can just "stop" and those who can't. Or in some cases, just won't. Some people actually enjoy it and can't imagine stopping. It's interesting. And we can always hope maybe those who say "I will never go again" you know ... stop smoking. Maybe this helps some people quit? Maybe not for the "right" reason but hey, at least they stopped ... there are always those extreme ones "I'M NEVER GOING AGAIN" and six months later "LET'S GO TO DISNEY EVERYONE!!!" lol

And I have to say, a lot of younger people still light up. I have numerous friends that smoke on the regular and have no intentions on stopping.

BoarderPhreak

My mom smoked pretty much her whole life - she couldn't and wouldn't quit because "she enjoyed it." Even on ventilators. Ultimately, it killed her at 78. Not that she was in any shape to be hitting up WDW during those later years, but as I mentioned 20 pages ago... If she couldn't smoke in the park somewhere, she wouldn't go. She wasn't on this board, nor was she a rabid fan. Just an average person that made a different choice.

Kman101

My mom smoked pretty much her whole life - she couldn't and wouldn't quit because "she enjoyed it." Even on ventilators. Ultimately, it killed her at 78. Not that she was in any shape to be hitting up WDW during those later years, but as I mentioned 20 pages ago... If she couldn't smoke in the park somewhere, she wouldn't go. She wasn't on this board, nor was she a rabid fan. Just an average person that made a different choice.

I think that's part of why my mom doesn't want to fly anymore (that and she says "I've been where I want to go! lol" and I think she still has a bit of a fear of that for many reasons) and she doesn't really enjoy going to the parks anymore (mostly the crowds, she's claustrophobic). Though for her, I know she can go hours without one. She has. But some can't/won't.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Like most decisions, it's not usually just one common factor. Lots of different factors seem to have come into play with their recent decisions.

For me. I wasn't arguing. Just stating, as Tom Bricker better put it, this is a good move, it is, but it's not going to be enforced and it's going to cause people to light up wherever they want. It's not wishful thinking for me that they should keep a smoking section in the land. But they don't agree. It is what it is. We'll see. It's just easier to contain it than try and control it everywhere, which they don't and can't. Serious question: are they going to confiscate cigarettes and vaping pens? Will, like a selfie stick, would you be told not to bring it in? Would you have to take it back to the car or abandon it? Any of you think they'll do any of this? I don't. My personal feelings aren't in any of this. And again, they aren't removing the smoking sections for "the good of everyone" ... and again, it's not a defense to keep the smoking sections, but I don't think you guys realize that smoking is still socially acceptable in other countries. And just because smoking is banned in a lot of spots, and smoking is down, it's not 'dead' by any means. All I was trying to do was state some truth and suggest it's more of a mistake to not try and contain it. Tom Bricker said it better than I did (. You can cheer and celebrate but I promise you it's going to remain a problem. Just the truth. They really are better off keeping a smoking section inside each of the parks. But I applaud them for trying.

Read Tom's post. That's all, for me, I'm trying to get at. I think people are short sighted in their celebrating ...

Tom's post on his website: https://www.disneytouristblog.com/oversized-strollers-smoking-banned-disney-world-disneyland/
Totally understand that. I think the thing for me is while its not really something that can easily enforced, they have created a policy in which its totally within their right to kick out or refuse people in the parks if they so choose to smoke or bring in cigs/cigars, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom