Unpopular Opinions: DLR Edition

Californian Elitist

It’s a cool illusion but I like the thought of a real elevator more. I love how the land restrictions at DL made them to do some pretty cool things layout wise that made the stories and experiences richer.

Would their be the stretching room scene? Nope. Drops in the POTC ride? Probably not.

I agree, the elevator makes it neat because we’re going somewhere else, somewhere below.

Rich T

It doesn't necessarily matter that it's an elevator or not to me, the Disneyworld elongating room is inferior because it doesn't elongate as much and it elongates more slowly. It's really annoying. They also leave the door open frequently which is really stupid. Now, does the sudden obvious jerk of the elevator in DL add to its charm? You bet.
In addition to that little jolt, I just find that it feels psychologically creepier to know I'm descending into the earth. Similar to a coffin being lowered, or heading down into an underworld. All while the creepy paintings and gargoyles loom above. It's a subtle difference, but it's there.

mickEblu

In addition to that little jolt, I just find that it feels psychologically creepier to know I'm descending into the earth. Similar to a coffin being lowered, or heading down into an underworld. All while the creepy paintings and gargoyles loom above. It's a subtle difference, but it's there.

Yes the little psychological things matter and add upz Some seem to think the load room at DL is inferior but I think having that dark room sets the mood for the attraction far better than a staircase in Paris for example. Not to mention the fact that it makes the omnimovers running through the mansion a little less odd.

PiratesMansion

Yes the little psychological things matter and add upz Some seem to think the load room at DL is inferior but I think having that dark room sets the mood for the attraction far better than a staircase in Paris for example. Not to mention the fact that it makes the omnimovers running through the mansion a little less odd.

I thought the choice of the staircase in Phantom Manor was strange at first, but it's really cool in person. Easily the best loading area, and other than the staircase being there it's basically identical to DL's (PM's track layout is identical to CA's too).

The problem with the dark room loading area of DL's is that most of the time, there's way too much light in there, more than there was originally intended to be. At which point it becomes obvious that you're surrounded by featureless walls and it becomes less appealing IMO. On some rides, I've had moments of true, complete darkness at the top of the "staircase" (for lack of a better term) that's perfect for the attraction and eliminates the ugly empty walls from your vision. If the ride was like that all the time, I would be happier with that stretch of DL's mansion. There's nothing great about the WDW/Tokyo load area but at least it's not quite so stark in it's nothingness. And once you're out of their load area you're immediately enveloped deeper into the house.

I do love the extra stretching of the room in CA, and it's fun watching new riders get startled by the obvious lurch in the floor when it starts. The only other one that does that is Paris, but their stretch room isn't as effective-the lighting in Phantom Manor was pretty terrible three years ago, so it wasn't as obvious how much it stretched and it was harder to see and appreciate the portraits. And the restaging of the room's final gag is busier and harder to see-hopefully these things are being fixed in its mega-refurb. Unless Paris upgrades their lighting, DL easily has the best stretching room.

fravit

I think the show buildings for DL Haunted Mansion and Pirates should be gutted. Keep the queues as a tribute to the original attraction, but replace the rides themselves with next gen versions with similar storylines, similar to Mystic Manor and Pirates Shanghai. I don't give two hecks about nostalgia when the original Disneyland is being upstaged by what is now decades old trackless technology in other parks.

NateD1226

Original Poster
I think the show buildings for DL Haunted Mansion and Pirates should be gutted. Keep the queues as a tribute to the original attraction, but replace the rides themselves with next gen versions with similar storylines, similar to Mystic Manor and Pirates Shanghai. I don't give two hecks about nostalgia when the original Disneyland is being upstaged by what is now decades old trackless technology in other parks.
I hope you are joking. If not, you are about to be swarmed by angry people.

mickEblu

In the words of Eddie Murphy from Nutty Professor (when he tells Reggie, [Dave Chapelle] who at the time nobody knew Dave Chapelle he was just some rando) “you just gone too far with the comedy man.”

TROR

You're an idiot

fravit

Somewhere, under some bridge, a troll is missing. Unless of course their is WI-FI under that bridge.
Serious question: am I the troll?

I just joined today, fyi. I didn't think my opinion was that controversial, and I really didn't mean to start drama. But I have to be honest - I am a bit surprised by the immediate, intense reaction, especially on a theme park forum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom