Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

s8film40

just wondering if a private company can ban the use on it's property, my state is bordered by two states that have legalized pot but you can still be fired if you test hot
It’s still illegal on a federal level, I think they could easily fall back on that if they wanted by saying something like “Disney does not allow criminal activity on their property”.

jaklgreen

I'm sorry, but in respect of Disney parks, this is just not true in my experience. In more than 20 visits over recent years, the only person I have seen smoking in a non-designated area is me -- and that was because the designated area I used on my previous visit had been removed and I hadn't thought to check the park map because I had smoked in that location for years. The vast majority of smokers have been diligently following the rules -- which makes this ban seem more like an anti-smoker bias than an attempt to address a problem.

I have also been going for over 20 years and have seen many people smoke wherever they please. Maybe I notice it more because I am very sensitive to it. But it does happen and it happens a lot.

ImperfectPixie

Difficult? Sure. Impossible? No. One of my close friends quit smoking 7 years ago and hasn't had one since. One of my closest friends OD'd on heroine 5 years ago. Both can kill you, though one may take a little longer. How about, oh, I dunno, don't do either???
I agree. But to say "just stop"? It's not that easy. There is a largely psychological component to it as well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
@BoarderPhreak

Many...you seem (seem) to be really charged up on this one.

But it doesn’t matter what you call it...this is an economic calculation by Disney that there’s more to gain by marginalizing the smoker and ultimately eliminating them down the road.

I don’t think anyone will revolt...I think they will all statistically fall in line...and in the end Disney will be proven correct.

I think they’re soulless and capricious in management - as Roy E Disney Identifoed - but I never doubt they know what will work from ops standpoint. They know their pray better than mama.

We are just circling the drain on this one.

jaklgreen

Quitting cigarettes is often cited as being as difficult if not more so than quitting heroin. Just thought I'd let you know.

Then why does anyone even start? That is what I would like to know. People should be staying as far away from all of these addictive drugs(even cigarettes) as they can. Someone offers you some heroin, why don't you stay as far away from that stuff as possible? Is it a lack of self preservation?

FigmentFan82

When I was in Epcot in October 2018 I was walking thru the UK pavilion toward France and just a few feet away from the Fish & Chips window was a guy probably late 20s/early 30s smoking a cigarette. I very obviously glared with a dissaproving look and he loudly proclaims to no one in particular but obviously directed at me "I'll smoke wherever the I want!" I just kept walking because an like that never learns.
Smoking is not some sacred romantic thing that needs protecting. It is gross. If you chose to smoke, you are subject to the vast majority of people who chose smart and don't and don't want it in their faces and lungs.

BoarderPhreak

...We are just circling the drain on this one.
Am I charged up? Sure - always have been when one group tries to force their views upon another. Especially when it's accompanied by uneducated, sanctimonious drivel. People that don't smoke have no idea what it's actually like, and telling smokers they should've made better life choices is just the ultimate hypocrisy.

Then why does anyone even start? That is what I would like to know. People should be staying as far away from all of these addictive drugs(even cigarettes) as they can. Someone offers you some heroin, why don't you stay as far away from that stuff as possible? Is it a lack of self preservation?
It's not that simple.

ABQ

Child of the 70's here, saw my elders smoking all the dang time, big influence. Though I quit long before they did. Why people start these days, I'm not sure. No one can answer for anyone but themselves.

aliceismad

Then why does anyone even start?
Did you never make a mistake as a kid? Or even a young adult? Or even last week? People tend to think they are invincible, especially when we're young.

I was a casual smoker. It was easy for me to quit. And yet cigarette still hold an appeal for me almost 2 decades later. I know it kills you. It killed all of my grandparents. I'll keep anyone who has been smoking away from my kid if I can because I realize it's that unhealthy. But I sympathize with those who do smoke. Because I know most of them are good humans who don't break the rules and try to be conscientious with their smoking.

FigmentFan82

Am I charged up? Sure - always have been when one group tries to force their views upon another. Especially when it's accompanied by uneducated, sanctimonious drivel. People that don't smoke have no idea what it's actually like, and telling smokers they should've made better life decisions is just the ultimate hypocrisy.
We live in an educated era when it comes to smoking. Yes, people of a certain age didn't have the same information me and my generation had growing up when it comes to the harmful effects of smoking cigarettes. When I see young people smoking then yeah, I think they damn well should have made a better life decision. Because that one is stupid as all hell. That's not hypocrisy, that's knowing facts about the very real dangers of cigarettes

BoarderPhreak

We live in an educated era when it comes to smoking. Yes, people of a certain age didn't have the same information me and my generation had growing up when it comes to the harmful effects of smoking cigarettes. When I see young people smoking then yeah, I think they damn well should have made a better life decision. Because that one is stupid as all hell. That's not hypocrisy, that's knowing facts about the very real dangers of cigarettes
The fact that we have vaping, opioid and obesity crises (among many others) in this country says otherwise.

Ever heard of personal stressors or addictive personality? I'm guessing not.

Personal stressors are events or conditions that occur in a person's life that may adversely impact on the individual's or their family's health or wellbeing. A stressor may occur directly, such as personally experiencing a serious illness, or indirectly, such as having a family member with a serious illness.

An addictive personality refers to a particular set of personality traits that make an individual predisposed to developing addictions. This hypothesis states that there may be common personality traits observable in people suffering from addiction.

dgauthier

Cajun Transplant
For me and cigarettes it was stupidity, I can remember getting mad at my father when I was young because they stunk. I never went into it thinking boy it is going to suck to quit. On my part it was a series of bad decisions one to fit in with friends and girlfriend

ImperfectPixie

I'm going to be 50 in a few years and was an uber rebellious teenager. Does that answer your question sufficiently? At the time, we knew it was bad, but not "how bad". My mother, on the other hand, is of the generation to whom cigarettes were actively advertised. I lost count of how many times she's tried to quit in just the last year, never mind the last decade. Also, the nicotine replacement programs don't work for everyone. I've tried the patch, and it made me violently angry, Chantix made me feel like I was going to vomit (all day) after the 2-week dosage increase, I can't chew the gum because it sticks to my dental work. Hypnotism worked like a charm until I went to sleep at night - I woke up wanting to smoke more than I did prior to being hypnotized (I went to more than a half-dozen appointments). Wellbutrin made me feel like I was high as a kite and on another planet. Trust me - some of us would give up some digits on our hands and feet to be able to "just stop" or to have not started smoking to begin with.

Am I charged up? Sure - always have been when one group tries to force their views upon another. Especially when it's accompanied by uneducated, sanctimonious drivel. People that don't smoke have no idea what it's actually like, and telling smokers they should've made better life decisions is just the ultimate hypocrisy.
Amen.

jaklgreen

For me and cigarettes it was stupidity, I can remember getting mad at my father when I was young because they stunk. I never went into it thinking boy it is going to suck to quit. On my part it was a series of bad decisions one to fit in with friends and girlfriend

Thank you for your story and honesty. I really am curious as to why people even start.

Rogue1138

Sorry to say this but you're being obtuse. I was a freshman in a film school and picked it up to meet girls who went outside. But why are people alcoholics/do drugs/get addicted to painkillers/are obese/etc? Our corporate culture is based on making you have addictive personality because it makes money. Why do people go to Disney every year or multiple times a year? People do these things because they like how it feels/tastes/etc.

jaklgreen

Sorry to say this but you're being obtuse. I was a freshman in a film school and picked it up to meet girls who went outside. But why are people alcoholics/do drugs/get addicted to painkillers/are obese/etc? Our corporate culture is based on making you have addictive personality because it makes money. Why do people go to Disney every year or multiple times a year? People do these things because they like how it feels/tastes/etc.

I get people do things because they like it. But going to WDW is not going to give you cancer.

FigmentFan82

The fact that we have vaping, opioid and obesity crises (among many others) in this country says otherwise.

Ever heard of addictive personality? I'm guessing not.
You're bringing up things that detract and don't contribute to the topic at hand. Of course people get addicted to all sorts of things. And guess what?? That's bad. People face all kinds of challenges every day and for some things can be very difficult. But don't go all white knight trying to defend smokers. Yes, there's plenty of "good" smokers who try and stay out of the way and not get their smoke all up in othere people business. And you know what? There are plenty of a*hle smokers that only think of themselves and their needs. I don't hate people that smoke. But it IS disgusting, it IS gross, and it has NO place in WDW. I'm honestly surprised it took them this long to ban smoking inside the parks.

FigmentFan82

If you're smoking (legally) then you're at least 18 and considered an adult. Act like an adult and take that crap outa the parks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom