Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justintheharris

That's a good question... since smoking and vaping is prohibited in the parks, they could conceivably tell people to ditch them or return them to their vehicles...
That's why I think the policy may not necessarily be a bust. If they can detect and turn away most (all is simply not possible) cigarettes and vapes at bag check, there may not be too many issues.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
No restaurants

No bars

No public buidings

No open spaces

No commercial areas

All those things have progressed without much of a peep. Despite predictions of economic and social doom.

And you missed one key fact. We don’t smoke! Almost no one does.
And those that do are heavily skewed to low income. Who aren’t going to Disney world and are all but officially not welcome.

And we
Grow the crap!!

Not entirely accurate. There was a lot of push back from restaurants and bars in Florida. Many bars reduced the % of food served to alcohol consumption or stopped serving food altogether so they could allow their patrons to smoke. One bar in town proudly advertises itself as a smoker's haven...and it's a very popular spot.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No i don't think it will lower attendance. Is it a difficult policy to police and could have been handled better ? Yes.

Disney is good with numbers. We have daily amnesia about that around here.

I’ll bet this increases attendance...or they wouldn’t do it.

It is a poor way to probably do it.

I thought dogs in hotels was handled awfully last year...
...but do you think they’ve made money oh that??

Bet the farm.

They don’t miss on policy changes. Ever. That data mine always produces.

HiJe

"Anyone know if I can bring my Vape to the park?" -Walt

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not entirely accurate. There was a lot of push back from restaurants and bars in Florida. Many bars reduced the % of food served to alcohol consumption or stopped serving food altogether so they could allow their patrons to smoke. One bar in town proudly advertises itself as a smoker's haven...and it's a very popular spot.

But the ban held and people got over it. If there was a rash of bankruptcies and closures due to smoking policy...I’d agree with you. But that didn’t really shake out.

And to be blunt: Disney travelers aren’t going to smoker’s haven.

Can we call a shovel and shovel here??

SpoiledBlueMilk

Ah but here's the problem:

I don't smoke; hate smoking; have had family who have died of lung cancer; dealt with a parent who smoked on-and-off through much of my childhood. Personally, I'd like smoking to just not happen as much as anyone - probably more than most.

but...

A few years ago, took a trip to the MK with extended family. Brother--in-law became increasingly irritable as the day went on. Finally got to the point where he was snapping at everyone in our group including his own three year old child over stupid stuff. He was being rude to cast members in lines, complaining about absolutely everything and making us all miserable as I'm sure he had to be helping to do for anyone else in ear-shot of him.

Eventually, wife clued us in to the problem. We got him to a smoking area, used restrooms and wasted about another 5 minutes and he came back from his little area in Tomorrowland like a man who had just found God.

Having to leave the park so he can get his smoke on would have seriously sucked for all of us. Thinking there was some easy way he was going to go to the front and then meet back up with us when he'd never been there before and didn't understand where anything was, also would have been a mess.

I'm lucky enough to pretty much never go with smokers but this one time was an eye-opening experience for me because prior to that, I'd have been right there with you.

This is a societal social-change kind of issue. It's something that most of us (non-smokers) want to be the norm. The problem is Disney making themselves the tip-of-the-spear when it comes to that change. You're already in a place where people can be stressed and tensions can be high. This just ads to it and the impact can be felt by plenty of non-smokers, too.

The other night, someone was smoking right in the middle of the mob of people waiting to get back on the ferry at park closing to go back to the TTC. Not to be judging books by covers too much but he looked like the kind of person who was fine doing what he was doing, knowing it was wrong.

You could see people's disgusted faces in the extra-wide queue when they came in contact in the switch-back but who was going to complain to him and risk an altercation? At that time of day, who was going to leave their family to go find a cast member to come do something about it? The guy got away with it and that was in a situation where he had options.

He was a jerk. I'm in no way saying he was representative of most smokers but I see a change like this pushing more people who, yes, have what I consider to be a filthy, dirty habit but who are reasonable and responsible and don't want to offend others, to break the rules.

I might be wrong. Really hope I'm wrong.

One thing is clear - this is going to put a spotlight on all the jerks and God's special creatures out there.

BoarderPhreak

Clearly we all have this wrong. It's not really about smoking at all. Disney just wants to reclaim the smoking areas and stuff more people there.

Or maybe they can re-purpose them as stroller parking.
While that may not be entirely wrong, in the case of the path behind SM... It doesn't make sense in places like BTMRR at MK or Norway at EC. Both are established areas and not some empty space somewhere. Stroller parking... Now that is a possibility. 🤣

One thing is clear - this is going to put a spotlight on all the jerks and God's special creatures out there.
And they'll care now just as much as they did then (that is, not one bit).

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
But the ban held and people got over it. If there was a rash of bankruptcies and closures due to smoking policy...I’d agree with you. But that didn’t really shake out.

Businesses lost revenue. Bars had to make the choice of either no longer serving food or banning smoking. It wasn't as smooth an implementation as you allege.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You know when I said “a lot”? I kind of meant a lot.

You always “mean it” in you’re trademark non-committal way....but you might be out of your green zone here.

The demographics splits on travelers are not nearly as diverse as many believe. Which is amazing considering how much they crap on the spine of their clientele

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Businesses lost revenue. Bars had to make the choice of either no longer serving food or banning smoking. It wasn't as smooth an implementation as you allege.

Not perfect...but the Train ultimately went down the tracks nonetheless.

But I have to ask the question: how does that impact WDW travelers?

mj2v

Granted............
Now here's a fact that I'm sure the vast majority of Americans are unaware of.
Tobacco taxes fund thousands of projects and State obligations all over the country.
If, or when, those taxes dry up because everyone has stopped consuming tobacco products all of those projects and State obligations will have to be funded by increases in existing taxes or the imposition of new taxes on Americans.
I'm not sure of the number but many State Pension Programs were, (are) funded by those taxes on tobacco.
I used to joke forty years ago that I had to smoke to ensure that my Pension Fund would have the money to pay my pension.
They don’t cover the cost of smoking related illnesses.

DisneyGigi

They won't be able to not permit people from bringing their cigarettes into the parks. Too many rely on Disney transportation and won't be able to stow them in a car.
Not to mention that if I go to Epcot, and wish to walk to the boardwalk where there are smoking sections, I should be able to have my cigarettes to do so.
Most all of the smoking sections were out of the way of traffic, so non smokers did not have to breathe the smoke. There were always people that smoked wherever they pleased and I only see this making it worse. And as far as Vapes go, people use those wherever all the time. I have seen it a kazillion times and never once saw a CM say anything to them. I get there May 4th, should be interesting to see but I do plan on calling later and having them clarify whether or not I can still have my cigarettes in my purse to go to designated areas outside of the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom