Smoking areas GONE starting may 1st Pinned so people can still see the announcement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creathir

So a lot of flights to Orlando form Kiev? Budapest? Prague?

Do me a favor and draw a
Line on a map from say Helsinki to Venice...and if you look at the map...which side of the line do the vast majority of WDW travelers fall on...the left or right?

And even still - because I don’t know the demos - but how does smoking fall along economic lines. There’s a clear distinction with those numbers in the US
Try France. 32% of the French self identify as regular smokers...
15% in the UK (along with the US by the way)
24% in Spain

Not sure how wise it is to literally tell 15-20% of your customer base "you're not welcome here."

JIMINYCR

At bag check will cigarettes and ecigarettes be confiscated?
Disneys going to bring in some cigarette detector dogs to assist at bag check.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Granted............
Now here's a fact that I'm sure the vast majority of Americans are unaware of.
Tobacco taxes fund thousands of projects and State obligations all over the country.
If, or when, those taxes dry up because everyone has stopped consuming tobacco products all of those projects and State obligations will have to be funded by increases in existing taxes or the imposition of new taxes on Americans.
I'm not sure of the number but many State Pension Programs were, (are) funded by those taxes on tobacco.
I used to joke forty years ago that I had to smoke to ensure that my Pension Fund would have the money to pay my pension.
Tobacco taxes...like gas taxes...do generate a lot.

But the point was always twofold:
  1. Capitalize on addiction to Make money
  2. Force people away from it...because the public costs would be reduced and the benefits more positive it consumption goes down

BoarderPhreak

You don't think smoking bans will affect attendance? That's cute.

My mother, a die-hard smoker... Smoked until she literally couldn't breath anymore and even then it was a fight. If a place didn't allow smoking, she wouldn't go there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So a lot of flights to Orlando form Kiev? Budapest? Prague?

Do me a favor and draw a
Line on a map from say Helsinki to Venice...and if you look at the map...which side of the line do the vast majority of WDW travelers fall on...the left or right?

And even still - because I don’t know the demos - but how does smoking fall along economic lines. There’s a clear distinction with those numbers in the US
You know when I said “a lot”? I kind of meant a lot.

eliza61nyc

Ya know.................
I'm really fed up with people who profess tolerance and then trash anyone who disagrees with their holier than thou proclamations.
I smoked for forty seven years.
I quit cold turkey the day my vape cig arrived in the mail.
I used the vape crutch for a year and gave that up.
Now I've been tobacco free for eight years.
Mine was a purely mercenary reason for quitting.
I got tired of burning my money.
But as a long time smoker I have sympathy for those who, for what ever reason, still smoke.
They are being treated like lepers, or Typhoid Mary, by the saintly among us who apparently have been given, by God, the powers to damn others whom commit acts that they don't particularly like.
I can't stand the smell of smoke any more but I will not condemn someone for consuming a legal substance while so many people who use illegal substances are being given a pass by "liberal" society because they are addicted.
I've got news for those SJW's.
Tobacco is an addicting substance and those addicted to it ought not be vilified because they made a poor life choice and became smokers.
And as a formerly addicted person I foresee the thousands of people who visit WDW daily and still smoke to resort to whatever subterfuge they feel is necessary to feed their addiction.

I don't think the "holier than thou" cares if you consume a legal substance. what we care about is getting illnesses from your addiction.
Now my understanding is people do get sick and die from secondhand smoke and I did see a kid have an asthma attack because some lady decided she did not need to follow the no smoking indoors ban. it ain't pretty.

You (general you, not you personally) want to make poor life choices hey go for it. stick a needle in your vein, abuse opiods, whatever. You want to make poor life choices that affect me? yea, I get "holy".

My workplace banned smoking every where so the smokers have to get in their car and drive off site. love it, no more nasty butts in the lunch room, no more smoke smell down the hall.

I don't think there is a good way to enforce it but I definitely don't have a problem with people not wanting to be exposed to smoke.

I don't vilify anyone again someone wants to smoke cigs go for it. I am super tolerant until someone does something that has the ability to kill me. then, not so much.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yet people still smoke... huh... how strange...

Quite the effective ban... or not.

No restaurants

No bars

No public buidings

No open spaces

No commercial areas

All those things have progressed without much of a peep. Despite predictions of economic and social doom.

And you missed one key fact. We don’t smoke! Almost no one does.
And those that do are heavily skewed to low income. Who aren’t going to Disney world and are all but officially not welcome.

And we
Grow the crap!!

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
You don't think smoking bans will affect attendance? That's cute.

My mother, a die-hard smoker... Smoked until she literally couldn't breath anymore and even then it was a fight. If a place didn't allow smoking, she wouldn't go there.
No i don't think it will lower attendance. Is it a difficult policy to police and could have been handled better ? Yes.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Not need considering you can leave the park and smoke outside the gates per the rules.
So where do the afflicted leave their habit of choice? They can't take them in... they can't leave them with security...

New lockers outside the gate?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Walt was all about freedom and liberty.
He did not ban nor would have thought of banning smoking.

Walt was also a union buster who believed in communist conspiracies and argue with his brother over how much he should be paid to lend his name to their company...

I mean...If we’re gonna lift the lid off and speak in rhetoric...let’s do it

Creathir

No restaurants

No bars

No public buidings

No open spaces

No commercial areas

All those things have progressed without much of a peep. Despite predictions of economic and social doom.

And you missed one key fact. We don’t smoke! Almost no one does.
And those that do are heavily skewed to low income. Who aren’t going to Disney world and are all but officially not welcome.

And we
Grow the crap!!
You don't live in Texas do ya?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom