Rank your top 10 theme/amusement parks

Trackmaster

Millennium has long been my #1 coaster - I like it quite a bit more than Maverick. I only rode Steel Vengeance once last summer, so I'm not sure whether it will dethrone Millennium, but it seems likely - it was a ton of fun.

I pretty much agree with the rest of the list except Blue Streak - that one hurts me too much (more than Magnum) so goes to the bottom. I'd rather do the mine train.

My wife would put Raptor up in her top 3, but I don't like it quite that much.

Hopefully the new coaster at Kings Island will be comparable to some at Cedar Point. Ever the best at KI (Mystic Timbers, Beast) don't quite measure up.

King's Island has the Beast, Banshee, Mystic Timbers, and Diamondback, so that's a pretty solid line-up. Flight of Fear is serviceable, and much better than Rock n' Roller Coaster (the Disney name makes RRC a perpetual hour wait, as are Invertigo and the Bat -- Disney needs to face the facts that coasters with theming always trump slow rides with theming, the results speak for themselves) and there's a big drop-off after that.

The buzz is that KI will be going the giga route, but they really an RMC I think. Every parks need an RMC. Even the parks with RMCs could always use another one (and not the raptors).

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
King's Island has the Beast, Banshee, Mystic Timbers, and Diamondback, so that's a pretty solid line-up. Flight of Fear is serviceable, and much better than Rock n' Roller Coaster (the Disney name makes RRC a perpetual hour wait, as are Invertigo and the Bat -- Disney needs to face the facts that coasters with theming always trump slow rides with theming, the results speak for themselves) and there's a big drop-off after that.

The buzz is that KI will be going the giga route, but they really an RMC I think. Every parks need an RMC. Even the parks with RMCs could always use another one (and not the raptors).

I do love Kings Island. The Beast is one of my all time favorite rides period. I’m going opening day and will end up getting their platinum passes along with my Disney pass. I’m pretty sure at this point I’m obsessed with amusement/theme parks.

Trackmaster

I do love Kings Island. The Beast is one of my all time favorite rides period. I’m going opening day and will end up getting their platinum passes along with my Disney pass. I’m pretty sure at this point I’m obsessed with amusement/theme parks.

Well, in all fairness, Disney practically gives away its Florida in-state AP's. Its more of a political motivation than a financial one. While all of the tourists are taking out second mortgages on their homes to go, Florida residents stroll in with their cheap AP's and can go whenever they want.

jloucks

Hmm....

1 - Magic Kingdom
2 - Universal Studios
3 - Epcot
4 - Islands of Adventure
5 - Disney Hollywood Studios
6 - Animal Kingdom
7 - Six Flags Over Texas
8 - Six Flags Great America
9 - Six Flags Fiesta Texas
10 - Seaworld San Antonio

This order shifts a little depending on season. Six Flags over Texas and Universal Studious really put on a great Halloween program.

If you were to base this list on hours spent in the park, Six Flags over Texas wins by a landslide :p ..it helps it is 30ish minutes from my house and we have had season & meal passes for a decade. Sometimes we just go there for the "free" restaurants.

Scrooged

Yeah, I'm going to be stopping into Kentucky Kingdom and Holiday World again in May. Hopefully the Kentucky Flyer will be ready by then. KK just has such a laid back atmosphere with two coasters that are arguably in my top 10 (I have a top 25 list, but I probably need to work on it some). I put Storm Chaser and Lightning Run ahead of anything in Florida. I'm an airtime addict, and if a coaster doesn't have airtime or serious theming, it has to do a lot more to get top recognition from me.

I was just thinking last Saturday night when I spammed 7 laps on Slinky Dog that if they gave the coaster about 20 MPH more throughout its whole course it would be a top 10 coaster for me. It would just be airtime heaven.

Yeah/ I agree- Storm Chaser is a great little coaster. Kentucky Flier will be up and running when you come through in May- there will be a preview event the second week of April for passholders to the park. I’m excited to see what it can do.

I’m a sucker for woodies and Thunder Run is one of my faves- it’s nothing special- I just love how fast it is. (As far as woodies go it’s a close tie for me between The Beast and The Voyage at holiday world.)

Anyway, hope you have fun when coming through!

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster
  1. Magic Kingdom
  2. Epcot
  3. Disneyland
  4. Universal Studios Orlando
  5. Hollywood Studios
  6. Islands Of Adventure
  7. Animal Kingdom
  8. Kings Island
  9. Universal Hollywood
  10. Cedar Point
  11. Geauga Lake ( No longer open :( but that was my whole childhood)

I loved #11 too. I once went with a buddy down to Ohio and we checked out the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Then we chose between Geauga Lake and Cedar Point. Despite the reputation of Cedar Point for some reason we chose Geauga Lake. I loved it. I was disappointed several years back to hear it had closed.

Walt Disney1955

Original Poster

Quite possibly the best roller coaster I have ever been on was The Beast at King's Island. We went there a few years back and waited until later in the day to go on it. I read about it a bit. It opened in 1979 or something like that and had a 134 foot drop. Which at the time was the highest in the world I believe. That sounded tame, I thought. Nope. Honestly, that ride was intense. My brother in law and I both agreed after we got off the ride that it honestly felt like it was going to derail. I guess it was designed that way. Also, the tunnels! Wow! You know how if you put your hands up and it seems like your hand can get cut off but you know full well there is plenty of room above it? (Think Thunder Mountain). Well, on the Beast I honestly don't think you should be doing that going through the tunnels because it just seems so tight going through there. Anyways, fun, fun ride!

Scrooged

Quite possibly the best roller coaster I have ever been on was The Beast at King's Island. We went there a few years back and waited until later in the day to go on it. I read about it a bit. It opened in 1979 or something like that and had a 134 foot drop. Which at the time was the highest in the world I believe. That sounded tame, I thought. Nope. Honestly, that ride was intense. My brother in law and I both agreed after we got off the ride that it honestly felt like it was going to derail. I guess it was designed that way. Also, the tunnels! Wow! You know how if you put your hands up and it seems like your hand can get cut off but you know full well there is plenty of room above it? (Think Thunder Mountain). Well, on the Beast I honestly don't think you should be doing that going through the tunnels because it just seems so tight going through there. Anyways, fun, fun ride!
If you rode it during the day, you should wait to ride it in darkness. The Beast is the best night ride coaster in the nation, IMO. It's never been topped as far as intensity and creepiness- especially during the park's Halloween Haunt when all the fog settles into the forest which the coaster speeds through....

Touchdown

I can’t break apart WDW, DLR, or Universal because I haven’t spent a full day in all the parks, not to mention a vacation is not complete without me visiting all the parks. Also of note, I’m ranking them based on their summer offerings as that is “the main season” so that greatly helps Sea World Orlando and BGW who have great special summer offerings and hurts places like Dollywood and Silver Dollar City who have phenomenal spring and Christmas festivals and sub par summer offerings. My list is:

Honorable Mentions (in no order): These Parks I would place in the same category as 10-7: Sea World San Antonio and San Diego, Busch Gardens Tampa, Universal Hollywood, Six Flags over Texas, over Georgia, and Fiesta Texas, Dollywood, Silver Dollar City, Kennywood, Canobie Lake (this is due to nostalgia though)

10-Hersheypark-The place smells like chocolate, and has a great coaster and flat collection. Weakness are a lack of shows and food quality.
9-Knotts Berry Farm-Halloween is amazing, as is Ghost Town, the Mine Train and Log Ride. The coasters are fun, and the park also has some nice flats. Size limits this park more than anything else.
8-Holiday World & Splashin Safari-I wish it was easier to get here, this park has an a top 5 water park included with admission, an excellent but admittedly small coaster collection, some fun flats and a great dark ride. Free soda and decent food as well. The weakness lies in it being fairly small especially if it’s too cool to swim and a lack of shows.
7-Kings Island-My favorite wooden coaster anchors a really great coaster collection, it’s a very beautiful park, has a nice flat collection and does some good shows. There is no real weak part of this park, but there is no standout like the parks below

The best regional parks-If you can’t afford a trip to the big three, these 3 I feel are clearly better then the rest
6-Sea World Orlando-Blackfish be dammed, this park has great shows, food, and the best coaster collection in Orlando. This park is at its best when it has night shows during Electric Ocean or Christmas festivals.
5-Cedar Point-The roller coaster capital of the world is also my favorite amusement park, unlike a certain park in northern LA in addition to a vast coaster collection, this park has a great flat ride collection, and good shows. It’s also beautifully situated on Lake Erie. While the food situation is improving its still not as good as the parks that follow it and it lacks a dark ride.
4-Busch Gardens Williamsburg-Truly the best regional theme park in the country, fantastic landscaping, excellent shows and theming, and a great coaster collection. The only weaknesses being a low flat ride count and the recent closure of Dakastle.

Cream of the crop-These are the parks that all other parks aspire to
3-Universal Orlando-The last 10 years have been very good to this resort and it’s now at a point where I can spend a full week there, I feel that it now can be mentioned in the same category as Disney parks.
2. DLR-While DL is my favorite Disney park, DLR suffers from only having one other park, not as good a bubble and weaker table service options

Beyond Compare
1-WDW-Nothing can compare, I feel disconnected from the outside world here, it is the pinicle of theme parks in my opinion.

Last edited:

Trackmaster

Yeah/ I agree- Storm Chaser is a great little coaster. Kentucky Flier will be up and running when you come through in May- there will be a preview event the second week of April for passholders to the park. I’m excited to see what it can do.

I’m a sucker for woodies and Thunder Run is one of my faves- it’s nothing special- I just love how fast it is. (As far as woodies go it’s a close tie for me between The Beast and The Voyage at holiday world.)

Anyway, hope you have fun when coming through!

If you could believe it, I actually carry a KK season pass. I was in the area for a wedding last fall, and knew I was coming back this year. So it made sense for me to get the pass, despite living in Florida. I now carry APs for:

Disney M-F Select (but also bum some Cast Member passes for weekends)
Universal Platinum
Six Flags Diamond Elite
Fun Spot
Kentucky Kingdom
SeaWorld Platinum

Ironically, my favorite chain is Cedar Fair, and I don't even carry a pass for it. They have a pretty big multiplier for their Platinums, and I don't live even remotely close to one. I'll get one if I do a big Cedar Point trip in the year. Otherwise it makes sense to live off of bring a guest tickets.

Touchdown

Season passes I currently own:
DL signature plus
Sea World San Diego Platinum
Cedar Point Platinum
Dollywood Gold
Silver Dollar City

butterxcup

1. Tokyo DisneySea - Best theme park in the world and I doubt anything will ever beat it for me. If you add on a few nights in the Miracosta Hotel too? Forget it, it’s an absolutely perfect experience.

2. WDW - My home parks and thought nothing would ever beat them until 2015 when I went to Sea for the first time. Still so much love for all four parks though.

3. Universal Studios Orlando/Islands of Adventure - Had annual passes for these parks quite a few years before my family finally started getting WDW annual passes as well. While some of the rides are questionable, I can’t help but love the parks and the many food options that are available in City Walk. Controversial opinion, but I do also like their hotels way more than WDW’s (other than maybe Animal Kingdom Lodge).

4. Disneyland/DCA - Had my first visit in November last year and already planning my next visit for this year. Max pass is SO CONVENIENT and I could spend a whole day riding the Cars ride over and over again.

5. Busch Gardens Tampa - Animals and amazing coasters? Heck yeah! Can’t wait for the Gwazi RMC coaster to open up eventually. That was my favorite ride when I was younger and I’m so excited for it to become bigger and better (and much much smoother) than ever before.

6. Shanghai Disneyland - Pirates, Peter Pan, Tron, and their stunning Tomorrowland are enough reasons alone to put this park on my top 10 list. It’s a beautiful park and very clean despite the rumors I heard before going the first time. I’ve been lucky enough to go twice now and I’m hoping to go back again in 2022 (or whenever their Zootopia land opens).

7. Hong Kong Disneyland - This park is so small compared to the others but I truly love it. I think it’s nice to not be intimidated for once by the shear size/amount to do in a Disney park. You can just take a cab from the airport, arrive at the park less than 30 minutes later, and just relax and have fun in the Disney atmosphere. Also, Mystic Mannor is fantastic and the musical score of the ride is perfection.

8. Universal Studios Japan - It has Jaws still...enough said. Their new night time parade is above and beyond and I wish the Orlando Parks could have something similar to it but I guess the new night time show is good enough (kinda). This park would be higher up but this park seems to ALWAYS be crowded. I’ve been three times during different times of the year but for some reason that park just doesn’t handle crowds well.

9. Tokyo Disneyland - It’s not that this park is bad, it’s just I happen to like the other ‘magic kingdom’ parks better. I love the shows and the pristine condition they keep their rides/the park in. However, I’ll always pick DisneySea over this park if I had a choice. Then, if asked between the other ‘magic kingdom’ parks, this one would just happen to place last for me. Still adore the park though and the Whinnie the Pooh ride should be in every park and I’ll never understand why it isn’t.

10. FujiQ - The lines are horrendous but the coasters are SO GOOD! Plus the beautiful views of Fuji you can get on a clear day are worth the ticket prices alone.

Deadphish

1 wdw
2 universal
3 seaworld
4 Dollywood love the cinnamon bread and my new favorite coaster lightning rod
5 Morey’s piers wildwood nj, had a summer home
6 Hersheypark the only park I’ve ever been too where you can end a day of riding roller coasters with a Rolling Stones concert
7 Six Flags great adventure, always crowded but I spent so much time there it has to be on the list

Last edited:

SteamboatJoe

Kings Island talk makes me happy. It's not perfect, and obviously lacks Disney quality themeing throughout, but it's a great regional amusement park.

Last edited:

Scrooged

Kings Island talk makes me happy. It's not perfect, and obviously lacks Disney quality themeing throughout, but it's a great regional amusement park.
It is. Unfortunately it hasn’t been on our radar for a few years because we’ve focused on going to Disney. Money is a factor, Lois. But KI is a wonderful park. That’s the one I grew up in and looked forward to visiting every year. That was the first park my wife and I went to together and realized we were BOTH coaster people (a rare find nowadays). It has a special place in my
Heart.

SteamboatJoe

It is. Unfortunately it hasn’t been on our radar for a few years because we’ve focused on going to Disney. Money is a factor, Lois. But KI is a wonderful park. That’s the one I grew up in and looked forward to visiting every year. That was the first park my wife and I went to together and realized we were BOTH coaster people (a rare find nowadays). It has a special place in my
Heart.
The Smurfs ride, the Hannah Barbera carousel, and meeting Batman and Robin are some of my earliest childhood memories.

Cedar Fair has done a good job of maintaining and improving things. Bringing back the antique cars is a nice nod to long time guests.

Patcheslee

Haven't been to many but here's what we have gotten to:
  1. Epcot
  2. Magic Kingdom
  3. Animal Kingdom
  4. Hollywood Studios
  5. Kings Island
  6. Kentucky Kingdom- this is my local go to when I want a laid back day. Kids area layout is means I can sit in one spot and watch DD go on multiple rides.
  7. Holiday World- if it wasn't for the hills in the park it would be higher, the path to Thunderbird is torture.

FCivish3

When you say TOP 10, I think you are getting a little too far reaching. For an Amusement Park to qualify, I think it would have to be a DESTINATION that people would love to go to, year after year. And most of these parks that are mentioned just don't qualify. But, I think the list below would come close.

So, here'are my suggestions:
  1. Walt Disney World (all parks considered together)
  2. Disneyland Resort (both parks considered together)
  3. Magic Kingdom WDW (Yes, I know it is Disneyland's younger, bigger brother, but it is better)
  4. Disneyland Park DL (Considered separately. We'll have to see if Star Wars moves it up.)
  5. Animal Kingdom Park WDW (considered separately)
  6. Disney's California Adventure DL (considered separately)
  7. Epcot WDW (considered separately)
  8. Hollywood Studios WDW (Would be below Universal Studios Orlando, except for new Star Wars.)
  9. Universal Studios Orlando/Universal Studios Islands of Adventure (Harry Potter World)
  10. Knott's Berry Farm
Honorable Mention:
  1. Any Disney Park anywhere else in the world (They would ALL rate much higher, except they are clones)
  2. Universal Studios Hollywood
  3. Busch Gardens Tampa

DisneyGigi

Mine would be-
MK
Disneyland
Epcot
DHS
AK
Carowinds
Dollywood

The last two only qualify because they are the only other theme park type places we visit besides Disney. We have had annual passes to Dollywood, for a few years and did not even use them last year, we spent so much time other places. (Disney) lol
We may go back while taking a small Disney break. 15 trips to Orlando and Disney and have never set foot in any other park there.

Scrooged

Mine would be-
MK
Disneyland
Epcot
DHS
AK
Carowinds
Dollywood

The last two only qualify because they are the only other theme park type places we visit besides Disney. We have had annual passes to Dollywood, for a few years and did not even use them last year, we spent so much time other places. (Disney) lol
We may go back while taking a small Disney break. 15 trips to Orlando and Disney and have never set foot in any other park there.
Headed to dollywood this Monday/Tuesday. That park is so charming. We’ve had passes for a few years now and usually make it there 2-3 times a year. Love Dollywood.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom