News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Goofyque'

Not sure if this has been asked (I've been trying to follow as much as possible) but will guests have to exit at each stop? For example if someone wants to just "ride" the gondola will they need to depart at a destination such as EPCOT or will they be allowed to stay on and circle back to where they started? I'm guessing they could stay on like the do with the monorails but could that become an issue if its crowded?
There are separate legs of the line, much like the monorail. You would get off at one, and switch to the next.

nickys

Premium Member
Not sure if this has been asked (I've been trying to follow as much as possible) but will guests have to exit at each stop? For example if someone wants to just "ride" the gondola will they need to depart at a destination such as EPCOT or will they be allowed to stay on and circle back to where they started? I'm guessing they could stay on like the do with the monorails but could that become an issue if its crowded?

Good question. I think it’s been posted that you will have to get off at the terminal stations, where the cabins go around the turning wheel, for Avery reasons. That would be all stations bar Riviera.

However thinking about it, on the London Emirates line you can stay on as it goes around the turning wheel at the Docks station, once they’ve checked you have a return ticket. Which also tells you how slowly they move that a staff member can check everyone in a cabin (8) has a ticket without you having to disembark.

So maybe it’s the double turning circle that’s the safety issue? @Lift Blog - any thoughts?

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Good question. I think it’s been posted that you will have to get off at the terminal stations, where the cabins go around the turning wheel, for Avery reasons. That would be all stations bar Riviera.

However thinking about it, on the London Emirates line you can stay on as it goes around the turning wheel at the Docks station, once they’ve checked you have a return ticket. Which also tells you how slowly they move that a staff member can check everyone in a cabin (8) has a ticket without you having to disembark.

So maybe it’s the double turning circle that’s the safety issue? @Lift Blog - any thoughts?

Someone pointed out that there doesn't appear to be a mechanism to close and re-open the doors as it goes around the end of the normal turn. If this is the case then it would probably be unsafe to have people stay on.

nickys

Premium Member
Someone pointed out that there doesn't appear to be a mechanism to close and re-open the doors as it goes around the end of the normal turn. If this is the case then it would probably be unsafe to have people stay on.

Hmmm. I’m pretty sure the doors stayed open on the Emirates line, so the staff could check tickets! They opened as we arrived and closed as we left.

Are you suggesting WDW guests are dumber? ;)

DisDadWoz

That would make sense then to have guest have to depart. I could see someone getting "flung" out of an open door doing the turn. :oops:

joelkfla

Hmmm. I’m pretty sure the doors stayed open on the Emirates line, so the staff could check tickets! They opened as we arrived and closed as we left.

If someone got off while the cabin was turning, they'd be stuck between the inner and outer loops with no way to get out.

At La Paz, they put ropes along the edge of the platform where they don't want people getting off while the doors are open. By ropes, I mean the flat fabric ones used for temporary queues. But La Paz does not have the double loops. I don't know whether that would be safe enough at Disney.

Come to think of it, where the inner loop cabins cross the path of the outer loop, there would be no platform, and no way to put up a rope without blocking cabins taking the 2nd loop.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Actually on a normal gondola this might not be a problem, but with the additional turn loop, the inside loop has to pass through a "no mans land" where it would be unsafe for a guest to exit.,

nickys

Premium Member
Actually on a normal gondola this might not be a problem, but with the additional turn loop, the inside loop has to pass through a "no mans land" where it would be unsafe for a guest to exit.,

Yeah, I can see that now!

Although that would be a classic case of survival of the fittest in practice. Or rather, the opposite!

flyerjab

Does anyone actually believe people will be cooked alive? It’s a joke. Plenty of rides subject guests to 95 degrees in the summer. Hell, half the time the monorails have broken a/c and we survive. Though we continue sweating and smelling...these cabins should take on that lovely monorail stench by mid-October.

Of course I know it’s a joke...just don’t think that the cabins will be as uncomfortable as some truly believe. Nothing more, nothing less.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe the fans are temporary because the vents are temporarily covered and they are indeed getting very hot.
I must admit this makes sense, for this reason, but also that big red fans don’t exactly fit the themes of any of the stations.
I'm leaning towards what others were suggesting about slow moving/leaving gondolas. It makes sense it's be for flow once the wraps are off. They are situated at where cabins will be full, closed, slow moving. The doors will open on entry fairly early meaning they don't need fans there. Maybe lift experts have some input that I'm not thinking about.
There will indeed be forced air fans to cool the gondolas from outside whilst passing through stations, as well elsewhere for those waiting to load.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
Does anyone actually believe people will be cooked alive? It’s a joke. Plenty of rides subject guests to 95 degrees in the summer. Hell, half the time the monorails have broken a/c and we survive. Though we continue sweating and smelling...these cabins should take on that lovely monorail stench by mid-October.

I think there are a small number of people, not necessarily on this board, that honestly believe that no AC is a safety issue, but I think most the doubters just feel it would be too uncomfortable to ride.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Getting down there October 6th. Think it will be done by then?
that would be nice ..
im hoping its open b4 my december visit

It's very clear that WDW wants the gondolas to be running before SWL opens on Aug 29.

There would have to be unforeseen issues for it not to be open by then.

Kman101

Wishful thinking is my guess...

Yep. Considering most of the trips on the gondola will take 5 minutes ... and they have plenty of ventilation ... it's really a non-issue. We can panic about a stopped gondola but it's not as if AC makes a huge difference on the monorail, TBH.

Shh. Logic. We MUST be paranoid about these death traps!!!!

Rteetz

From Bioreconstruct

Looks like some cabin storage

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster
I recall the (sometimes hysterical) discussion about scooter loading. Has it been confirmed that there will be a separate spur for longer cabin loads (or indeed stopping a cabin without stopping the main line)?

There is clearly a separate spur at each station except Riviera, and it's assumed it will be used for scooter and wheel chair loading.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom