The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

mickEblu

Original Poster
I’m starting to think we ve already seen the pinnacle of imagineering. Of course new high tech attractions with some jaw dropping moments will continue to impress but for a compete A-Z experience, world building and immersion I don’t think POTC or HM have or will be topped. As the industry continues to shift to higher tech attractions and more n more screens it only makes me more confident this is the case. Their are defintley newer attractions that use screens better than others like Shanghai’s POTC but just one on screen battle featuring Jack Sparrow and Octopus guy can take you right out of it. So unless their is some renaissance of making brand new ginormous E tickets focused primarily on using practical effects, amazing sets and AAs then I think we ve see the pinnacle.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

I’m starting to think we ve already seen the pinnacle of imagineering. Of course new high tech attractions with some jaw dropping moments will continue to impress but for a compete A-Z experience, world building and immersion I don’t think POTC or HM have or will be topped. As the industry continues to shift to higher tech attractions and more n more screens it only makes me more confident this is the case. Their are defintley newer attractions that use screens better than others like Shanghai’s POTC but just one on screen battle featuring Jack Sparrow and Octopus guy can take you right out of it. So unless their is some renaissance on making brand new ginormous E tickets with a focus primarily on practical effects, amazing sets and AAs then I think we ve see the pinnacle.

I think Imagineering stayed good in the 70s-90s. In terms of experience, I think Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will never be topped.

The dark ride was perfected with Pirates/Haunted Mansion. The coaster was perfected with Space and Big Thunder. The wet water ride was perfected with Splash Mountain.

I think Indiana Jones Adventure was a good use of the basic tenets of storytelling in a dark ride that were established in Pirates/HM, but it's plagued with a ride system that has been tamed due to guest complaints, effects that are lost or not maintained.

Everything we see now is just a refinement/re imagining of what we saw then. Smurf river ride in Animal Kingdom looks great- but it's not Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean. Mystic Manor looks intriguing, but lacks the charm and depth of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion- which features loads of effects and pop culture references, many of which are lost on modern audiences.

This is also why I hold the belief that New Orleans Square is the best themed land that's ever been built- and unless Galaxy's Edge features two rides that change the genre and influence every person who gets into the industry for the next 50 years, NoS will continue to be king. At a time where each New Orleans Square shop was unique and featured authentic merchandise, where the food was authentic and good- and before Pirates and Mansion had new generations of Imagineers hacking away at what the original creatives installed, the land was near perfect and in many ways the peak of Disneyland.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I think Imagineering stayed good in the 70s-90s. In terms of experience, I think Space Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad will never be topped.

The dark ride was perfected with Pirates/Haunted Mansion. The coaster was perfected with Space and Big Thunder. The wet water ride was perfected with Splash Mountain.

I think Indiana Jones Adventure was a good use of the basic tenets of storytelling in a dark ride that were established in Pirates/HM, but it's plagued with a ride system that has been tamed due to guest complaints, effects that are lost or not maintained.

Everything we see now is just a refinement/re imagining of what we saw then. Smurf river ride in Animal Kingdom looks great- but it's not Disneyland's Pirates of the Caribbean. Mystic Manor looks intriguing, but lacks the charm and depth of Disneyland's Haunted Mansion- which features loads of effects and pop culture references, many of which are lost on modern audiences.

This is also why I hold the belief that New Orleans Square is the best themed land that's ever been built- and unless Galaxy's Edge features two rides that change the genre and influence every person who gets into the industry for the next 50 years, NoS will continue to be king. At a time where each New Orleans Square shop was unique and featured authentic merchandise, where the food was authentic and good- and before Pirates and Mansion had new generations of Imagineers hacking away at what the original creatives installed, the land was near perfect and in many ways the peak of Disneyland.

Agreed. Although I think it would be easier for them to top BTMRR and Space (if they put their mind to it) than it would be for them to top POTC or HM.

Indy is great but it can’t be POTC or HM as it’s doing multiple things but doing none of them perfectly. Outside of the fire bridge room and Hall of Mara (?) all the sets fall way short of POTC/ HM. Not just the sets so much as the immersion. Then it’s trying to be a thrill ride but it’s really all that thrilling IMO. Outside of the Q, I view it as a jack of all trades but master of none.

NOS will never be topped.

POTC and HM are DARK rides. Like real Dark rides. You can’t see a ceiling full of lighting gear like RSR and that obviously goes a long way.

As much as I talk about POTC/ HM, Splash is still my favorite as it’s the perfect combo of thrill, music and sets/ AAs

Last edited:

Rich T

Indy is great but it can’t be POTC or HM as it’s doing multiple things but doing none of them perfectly. Outside of the fire bridge room and Hall of Mara (?) all the sets fall way short of POTC/ HM. Not just the sets so much as the immersion. Then it’s trying to be a thrill ride but it’s really all that thrilling IMO. Outside of the Q, I view it as a jack of all trades but master of none.
In the case of Indy, the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. It's meant to make guests feel like they're racing through a chaotic escape scene in an adventure movie, and it totally works. I've never finished that ride without a huge grin on my face. I look kinda grotesque like that, actually...

mickEblu

Original Poster
In the case of Indy, the whole is much greater than the sum of its parts. It's meant to make guests feel like they're racing through a chaotic escape scene in an adventure movie, and it totally works. I've never finished that ride without a huge grin on my face. I look kinda grotesque like that, actually...

I do agree that the whole is greater than its parts unlike RSR. I still think that POTC/ HM are the pinnacle though. The ride vehicles, sets, lighting, effects, the tight spaces and AAs all work in perfect unity. I find myself kind of teased on Indy wanting the Jeep to go faster to match the intensity of the music and visuals. The basic difference is in POTC and HM I feel as if I’m really in a mansion/ graveyard or caverns/ Carribean town where as in Indy or RSR I feel that I’m in a large show building that’s dressed up.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
The DisneySea version is better for this reason. It looks better on the inside.

I’ve seen a ride thru. I agree but don’t care for all the blue lighting. I prefer DLs lighting but do agree that the sets look to be igher quality in Tokyo and losing the rat projection for the fireball effect is a nice upgrade

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Knotts keeps the AA figures working at Timber Mountain. We can't say that of Disney with Splash Mountain or even Universal with Jurassic Park.

I haven’t been to Knotts in a while but how many AAs do they have in that whole park? Like 5? 10?

Rich T

I do agree that the whole is greater than its parts unlike RSR. I still think that POTC/ HM are the pinnacle though. The ride vehicles, sets, lighting, effects, the tight spaces and AAs all work in perfect unity. I find myself kind of teased on Indy wanting the Jeep to go faster to match the intensity of the music and visuals. The basic difference is in POTC and HM I feel as if I’m really in a mansion/ graveyard or caverns/ Carribean town where as in Indy or RSR I feel that I’m in a large show building that’s dressed up.
RSR works for me as a complete experience based around stumbling into town and getting mistaken for a racer. Maybe it's a bit too linear and specific plot-wise, but I haven't tired of it yet. But nothing, I think, will ever top DL's PoC for me as a dark ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom