Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway confirmed

ToTBellHop

I could be absolutely wrong but I doubt Disney will care initially if MMRR is open or not when GE opens. It's not going to drive people away from those first few weeks (months?) of making GE their destination. MMRR really will be the most effective after the initial hype dies down to spread guests out around the park so why rush it to have very little effect.

MMRR was SPECIFICALLY approved because it could open just ahead of SWGE and didn’t cost a fortune (especially when you subtract out the cost to fix GMR).

Kman101

Can't express how frustrating it is that they chose to ax Great Movie Ride and forego its capacity when the option was on the table to add capacity to Hollywood Studios. It's almost like they're determined to make Studios stay the red headed step child of WDW.

The rumor that Runaway Railway will be put in other parks makes that decision even more disappointing. The marquee attraction in the center of Hollywood Studios won't even be something unique to WDW. Come to think of it, with Galaxy's Edge in Disneyland and eventually Walt Disney Studios Park, Tower of Terror and Rocking Roller Coaster in Walt Disney Studios Park, two rides in Toy Story Land will be the only thing unique to Hollywood Studios. Sad, considering it used to be such a unique theme park experience.

It really is sad they still have the mind frame of replace instead of add, when we know they know the parks need more.

I agree it's sad Runaway Railway won't be unique to DHS for more than a couple of years. I understand the cloning, and it's an attraction featuring the VIPs, so of course it'd be cloned, but at the same time ... uniqe matters. But I don't think they agree with me on that. I mean, isn't that (one of) the so called excuse why they aren't cloning Cars Land (that I'm aware of ...). That seemed like a no brainer for HS and yet here we are.

Kman101

This is it, in a nutshell. If you don’t ever have plans to visit and resort other than WDW, then of course clones are no big deal. Many people travel to the other Disney resorts too, and it makes sense that these people would want to see unique attractions (for the most part) at all of them. I don’t see what’s so bad about holding that opinion.

I don't mind some clones but it would be nice to have some unique things to draw you to those parks. Hong Kong wanted exclusivity on certain things for a reason. I know people go to WDW anyway, they don't "need" unique draws, but I still think certain things should be unique. I wasn't a fan of hearing they wanted to clone Everest for Shanghai. I hope Zootopia takes that spot in Shanghai, LOL

Part of what makes Disneyland special (besides, you know, it being Walt's park) is that the Matterhorn is unique (although technically our Space Mountain is the same), they still have the subs, they have Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad ... are they "draws"? Probably not but it matters, at least in my mind, to have unique things no one else does.

Mike S

I don't mind some clones but it would be nice to have some unique things to draw you to those parks. Hong Kong wanted exclusivity on certain things for a reason. I know people go to WDW anyway, they don't "need" unique draws, but I still think certain things should be unique. I wasn't a fan of hearing they wanted to clone Everest for Shanghai. I hope Zootopia takes that spot in Shanghai, LOL

Part of what makes Disneyland special (besides, you know, it being Walt's park) is that the Matterhorn is unique (although technically our Space Mountain is the same), they still have the subs, they have Alice in Wonderland, Mr. Toad ... are they "draws"? Probably not but it matters, at least in my mind, to have unique things no one else does.
Especially in a park like DHS where nothing will be unique except Slinky Dog.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I could be absolutely wrong but I doubt Disney will care initially if MMRR is open or not when GE opens. It's not going to drive people away from those first few weeks (months?) of making GE their destination. MMRR really will be the most effective after the initial hype dies down to spread guests out around the park so why rush it to have very little effect.

It's not a matter of pulling people away from GE, it's about giving them something else to do in the park while they are waiting to get into GE.

eddie104

You are likening my suggestion that “Disney cloning Ratatouille or building MMRR elsewhere is okay” is the same as suggesting they should build Six Flags rides?

It’s very simple and is head-scratching that people can’t understand this: only so much money will be released to the parks. This is obvious. If they only build $300 million rides, the bean counters are more reluctant to release the purse strings.

Enough with this nonsense.

MMRR should open before SWGE. SWGE is obviously a bigger deal and got announced first. However, note that they did a combined announcement for DL and DHS. The announcement was necessary as the land opens in DL in less than 3 months. There’s no real need to announce MMRR’s opening this far out. It’s somewhat unique for Disney to commit to a date for our SWGE this far out.
My whole point is we already know Disney budgets are insane and it’s nothing new so why the need to keep reiterating that ??

ToTBellHop

My whole point is we already know Disney budgets are insane and it’s nothing new so why the need to keep reiterating that ??
The fact that budgets are insane is not the same as debating the use of clones. $200 million is less insane than $300 million. And $100 million to keep GMR and build MMRR elsewhere is cheaper than needing to approve an extra $200-300 million now for a new project elsewhere. If keeping an existing ride rather than replacing it cuts $100 million here and use of a clone cuts $50 million there, $1 billion approved for a park will go further and result in a fuller park. Should be a no brainer.

eddie104

The fact that budgets are insane is not the same as debating the use of clones. $200 million is less insane than $300 million. And $100 million to keep GMR and build MMRR elsewhere is cheaper than needing to approve an extra $200-300 million now for a new project elsewhere. If keeping an existing ride rather than replacing it cuts $100 million here and use of a clone cuts $50 million there, $1 billion approved for a park will go further and result in a fuller park. Should be a no brainer.
I agree with you in theory but we have no idea what they have planned for this park in the future. You can’t just assume if they would have kept GMR it would have saved money because Disney could have had a huge budget for the redo as well.

ToTBellHop

I agree with you in theory but we have no idea what they have planned for this park in the future. You can’t just assume if they would have kept GMR it would have saved money because Disney could have had a huge budget for the redo as well.
I know roughly the cost to fix 2017 that they deemed “too much”, I know what MMRR costs, and I can ballpark options being considered for a 2020s addition to the park.

flynnibus

Premium Member

MMRR's opening is not about driving new demand to the park - it's about DHS being more than a waiting room for GE.

ToTBellHop

MMRR's opening is not about driving new demand to the park - it's about DHS being more than a waiting room for GE.
You don’t think “sorry, Batuu is full but you’re welcome to visit any of our shows you’ve seen 37 times or ride a Hot Box of Death over to O’ Canada” will be satisfactory? I mean Martin Short is objectively > Daisy Ridley. Once they get Impressions de Belle and the Craperie open, fuggetaboutit.

kurtk

There was some talk when MMRR was first announced that the ride was easily changeable and could be customized to the available space. It may be that not every place this is going is an exact clone. Maybe a slightly different story or different number of scenes.

Would be really cool if they could have multiple scenes that are randomized like ST.

Goofyernmost

Perhaps I'm strange but my enjoyment of any attraction has never been enhanced by the thought "This is even better because it's not in other Disney parks". I'm not sure how that would make any logical sense really, unless I was travelling to those parks also specifically to see unique attractions. It's like I don't enjoy my HD television any more or less based on how many other people have the same model, it doesn't effect me?
Absolutely, but, then again, we must take into account that those that are blessed with the money and the time to travel all over the world and go to all the Disney Parks are, for some reason, unable to grasp the reality that not all people are able to do that. Financially or otherwise. Having the same attraction in more then one place allows others to experience something that they otherwise would not be able too. Sounds terribly selfish to me. I would have welcomed an exact duplicate of Cars Land in Florida, but, as it is I will never be able to see it. That is my loss not theirs.

Goofyernmost

This is it, in a nutshell. If you don’t ever have plans to visit and resort other than WDW, then of course clones are no big deal. Many people travel to the other Disney resorts too, and it makes sense that these people would want to see unique attractions (for the most part) at all of them. I don’t see what’s so bad about holding that opinion.
Because we are talking about the bigger attractions. There will never be exact parks only random attractions. For example, there are three different and distinct castles split up between, DL, WDW and DLP. But the are still plastic castles and worthy of visiting. No one is talking about exact clones, but, certainly the premise and theme should be allowed to be in more then one park based on the popularity of the attraction. The parks are not competing with each other, they are the same company. All the proceeds from those parks goes into that same huge vault that Disney has in Scrooge McDucks basement.

And really, would it be the wisest of business decisions to limit the exposure of something that will draw a lot of people and limit it only to those that live in that area or can afford to get there? Just because there are a few people with the resources to have each Disney Park on their doable bucket list, isn't necessarily a reason for Disney to plan their parks around them. There are enough differences to do that even if the entire parks were exact clones, which the are not and never will be.

Goofyernmost

Everyone mourning the loss of GMR, has to try and gasp the idea that no one was wanting to ride it anymore. It was down to half capacity almost all the time for the last few years. As far as capacity goes.. even if it could handle 10000 people an hour and only 200 were riding it, the capacity numbers are useless. The only people that it would help with concerning SWL would be if people had FP and could afford to spend time at other attractions, however, when that place opens up without FP at all, no one will be able to leave the line to go to those other attractions without losing their place in line. They are not going to budge from that spot so 47 different attractions with high capacity are not going to draw them away. They will only be looking for something else after they have finally applied for Social Security due to the time spent in line and experienced what SWL has to offer before they venture back out into the park. If they didn't like GMR before they are not going to like it any better now, so without something new in the other parts, they will just leave the park. If there is something new there to see, they will stay.

ThistleMae

Everyone mourning the loss of GMR, has to try and gasp the idea that no one was wanting to ride it anymore. It was down to half capacity almost all the time for the last few years. As far as capacity goes.. even if it could handle 10000 people an hour and only 200 were riding it, the capacity numbers are useless. The only people that it would help with concerning SWL would be if people had FP and could afford to spend time at other attractions, however, when that place opens up without FP at all, no one will be able to leave the line to go to those other attractions without losing their place in line. They are not going to budge from that spot so 47 different attractions with high capacity are not going to draw them away. They will only be looking for something else after they have finally applied for Social Security due to the time spent in line and experienced what SWL has to offer before they venture back out into the park. If they didn't like GMR before they are not going to like it any better now, so without something new in the other parts, they will just leave the park. If there is something new there to see, they will stay.
I still wanted to ride it! Actually, I got a last ride when I was there just before it closed. I was so glad I got to take the ride one last time. And yes, I do like new rides as well. And yes, it is a reason for me to go to DHS...because other than Toy Story Mania, there was nothing left there I wanted to see or experience. Now, there will be quite a few new things I can try. I imagine it must get a little boring, if nothing ever changes. Part of the fun is experiencing new things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom