Something isn't right about what happened to Buzzy. (NOT NEWS/RUMOR)

Cheekylittlerobot

Original Poster
First of all, I want to say that this isn't to stir up the previous arguments form the closed thread about Buzzy's supposed theft, nor am I claiming to know any new info. Mods, if you feel the need to close or move this feel free, but I just really need to get this off my chest, so please salvage this if you can. I'm really upset about what happened and I just want closure. Thank you.

Something doesn't seem right about what happened to me. I do believe it is more likely at this point that Buzzy wasn't stolen but I do believe there is a still a slight chance that it did happen. For this post, however, I will go with the more likely situation and assume he was "moved" by Disney.

I don't know if anyone on here knows and is allowed to answer this but, was he broken while they were moving him? (Or is that what got them to suddenly move him?) I ask this because I am aware that the theater was not in the best condition, had mold and likely was structurally unsound. I also saw a zoomed in picture of the pipe/tube think attached to buzzy's chair(what I assume are hydraulic lines) that were frayed. This was an old photo from way before the incident. (Photo was from Instagram, I'll add a link if I can find it again) So, either Disney had started cutting it ahead of time, or the lines were falling apart themselves. Could he have fallen?

So, I ask any who have real knowledge of the situation: Is he still intact in any way? The clothing doesn't matter to me, just Buzzy. Some pics would be nice if possible.

I feel like something horrible happened.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Dragonman

I would like closure as well. Martin has implied he and Hypothalamus were removed by WDI without approval from the other departments and Dave Ensign (Hoot Gibson) has said he’s backstage somewhere somehow but that’s all we really know.

Cheekylittlerobot

Original Poster
I would like closure as well. Martin has implied he and Hypothalamus were removed by WDI without approval from the other departments and Dave Ensign (Hoot Gibson) has said he’s backstage somewhere somehow but that’s all we really know.

I'm also aware of this. This sounds even MORE suspicious because there's no way someone would do that in an honest way. They have him but is he in one piece..? That's the real question here.

Goofyernmost

First of all, I want to say that this isn't to stir up the previous arguments form the closed thread about Buzzy's supposed theft, nor am I claiming to know any new info. Mods, if you feel the need to close or move this feel free, but I just really need to get this off my chest, so please salvage this if you can. I'm really upset about what happened and I just want closure. Thank you.

Something doesn't seem right about what happened to me. I do believe it is more likely at this point that Buzzy wasn't stolen but I do believe there is a still a slight chance that it did happen. For this post, however, I will go with the more likely situation and assume he was "moved" by Disney.

I don't know if anyone on here knows and is allowed to answer this but, was he broken while they were moving him? (Or is that what got them to suddenly move him?) I ask this because I am aware that the theater was not in the best condition, had mold and likely was structurally unsound. I also saw a zoomed in picture of the pipe/tube think attached to buzzy's chair(what I assume are hydraulic lines) that were frayed. This was an old photo from way before the incident. (Photo was from Instagram, I'll add a link if I can find it again) So, either Disney had started cutting it ahead of time, or the lines were falling apart themselves. Could he have fallen?

So, I ask any who have real knowledge of the situation: Is he still intact in any way? The clothing doesn't matter to me, just Buzzy. Some pics would be nice if possible.

Now you are opening up a can of worms. From then on Disney will have to announce every time they throw out a piece of furniture, a vacuum cleaner, a broken soda dispenser, light bulbs, plumbing items like toilets and sinks, junked an old attraction vehicle or car, threw out an air conditioner and so on.

Yea, I know that some have decided that Buzzy was a living, breathing person. In reality he was an assembled grouping of nuts, bolts, wires, motors and plastic shaped in the form of a human. It is a machine. No one is owed a closure from anyone. If they ever needed it again, they more then likely still have the schematics and can build another one. There is no need to mourn the loss unless you tend to have a wake every time you throw out a used toothbrush. That is made of some of the same materials as Buzzy, the animatronic character.

If Buzzy was stolen the robot will show up at some point in time, because what good is a robot unless someone else knows that they have it. If not, then there is no need to tell anyone that they moved a no longer used, dormant machine someplace else to storage or otherwise. This cry for transparency is misguided at best. Scary at worst. What "horrible" thing could have happened. His next of kin does not need to be notified.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Wasn't the local Sheriff's Department involved in this fiasco? Why are we still assuming he was moved and not stolen?

Better yet.. is it possible to obtain the police report?

Cheekylittlerobot

Original Poster
Now you are opening up a can of worms. From then on Disney will have to announce every time they throw out a piece of furniture, a vacuum cleaner, a broken soda dispenser, light bulbs, plumbing items like toilets and sinks, junked an old attraction vehicle or car, threw out an air conditioner and so on.

Yea, I know that some have decided that Buzzy was a living, breathing person. In reality he was an assembled grouping of nuts, bolts, wires, motors and plastic shaped in the form of a human. It is a machine. No one is owed a closure from anyone. If they ever needed it again, they more then likely still have the schematics and can build another one. There is no need to mourn the loss unless you tend to have a wake every time you throw out a used toothbrush. That is made of some of the same materials as Buzzy, the animatronic character.

If Buzzy was stolen the robot will show up at some point in time, because what good is a robot unless someone else knows that they have it. If not, then there is no need to tell anyone that they moved a no longer used, dormant machine someplace else to storage or otherwise. This cry for transparency is misguided at best. Scary at worst. What "horrible" thing could have happened. His next of kin does not need to be notified.

I'm going to assume that you have never had a personal attachment to something? Never had a beloved stuffed toy as a kid, a favorite place, favorite shirt, song or anything else "non-living" be meaningful to you?

Air conditioner and toothbrushes have no historical, cultural or personal significance to most people. They are easy to get rid of/replace because they were never loved, nor brought joy to several thousands of children and adults alike. It's not the animatronic itself, it's the character and message it represented that is meaningful. It is simply a physical form of those things. For some people, unlike yourself, that means A LOT. I know for a fact that I am not the only one on this forum and in the world who feels that way. He is more than the sum of his parts. I'm not asking for the show to return or for him to be displayed on a pedestal, just for answers, and for him to be disassembled properly if necessary.

For me, Buzzy and WoL as a whole have helped me feel happy during a time when I was not, and still does. He means a lot to me. Maybe, not to you, and that's ok, but you don't have to belittle those who do care. How would you feel if someone told you that something you cared deeply about was trash or worthless?

If you could care less about Buzzy, why even bother commenting? I don't comment on threads about attractions I don't like or care about. There are plenty of removed classic attractions that I dislike but I don't criticize those who love them.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Maybe he’s in the shops getting prepped for a new roll at the play pavilion and there hiding it from us by saying he was stolen so we don’t speculate what he will be doing next over and over again.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I'm going to assume that you have never had a personal attachment to something? Never had a beloved stuffed toy as a kid, a favorite place, favorite shirt, song or anything else "non-living" be meaningful to you?

Air conditioner and toothbrushes have no historical, cultural or personal significance to most people. They are easy to get rid of/replace because they were never loved, nor brought joy to several thousands of children and adults alike. It's not the animatronic itself, it's the character and message it represented that is meaningful. It is simply a physical form of those things. For some people, unlike yourself, that means A LOT. I know for a fact that I am not the only one on this forum and in the world who feels that way. He is more than the sum of his parts. I'm not asking for the show to return or for him to be displayed on a pedestal, just for answers, and for him to be disassembled properly if necessary.

For me, Buzzy and WoL as a whole have helped me feel happy during a time when I was not, and still does. He means a lot to me. Maybe, not to you, and that's ok, but you don't have to belittle those who do care. How would you feel if someone told you that something you cared deeply about was trash or worthless?

If you could care less about Buzzy, why even bother commenting? I don't comment on threads about attractions I don't like or care about. There are plenty of removed classic attractions that I dislike but I don't criticize those who love them.
The report is accessible online and was only for the theft of the clothing. Not Buzzy himself.

Gotcha, I only casually followed this case so I only know about the hydraulic fluid mess and police being involved. If the report was for the clothing then wow that's crazy.

Also keep fighting the good fight. I was devastated when I heard ToT was going away in California so I understand where your coming from. Inevitably, I eventually had to accept it; but at least there was some closure there.

Cheekylittlerobot

Original Poster
Gotcha, I only casually followed this case so I only know about the hydraulic fluid mess and police being involved. If the report was for the clothing then wow that's crazy.

Also keep fighting the good fight. I was devastated when I heard ToT was going away in California so I understand where your coming from. Inevitably, I eventually had to accept it; but at least there was some closure there.

I agree. I only recently discovered WoL(like a year or two ago at this point), so I think I have had less time than some others to get over it. To most, it's been dead for years, so while they aren't loving the changes, they're at least used to it. For me, it was kinda like discovering this wonderful thing only to have it snatched away quickly. But then again, maybe I shouldn't have gotten so attached since I knew it would happen eventually. Oh well.

glawio

As someone with a big fondness for animatronics and who kiiiind of treats them like real people, just want to say I understand (I also understand when people DON'T understand), but that is a whole other topic for a whole other forum. :)

Sadly, since Buzzy was taken, we have no photos or concrete information about him whatsoever. If we did, there wouldn't be this huge mystery. Nobody knows where is he or why he was taken or pretty much anything beyond him and Hypothalamus are gone.

The last we saw of him before he disappeared, he had been spruced up considerably (lazy eye fixed, eyebrows replaced) despite his hands being bare robotics, which I find a little bittersweet. I see a lot of different photos where his hands are regular hands, then brown gloves, then bare, but it's hard to establish a timeline.

There's no way he could have fallen; he was bolted to a chair that was part of a rig designed to move all over the place all day every day for years at a time, so don't worry about that. If the hydraulic lines leading to his animatronic were becoming frayed, this wouldn't have affected his seating, just his movement. It's very likely that after years of sitting there not doing anything, he was not functional. I understand Imagineers were in there at one point testing his functionality (or maybe that was just a rumor...), but obviously we are not going to get an update on that. We don't know if he still worked or not. Animatronics can require a lot of upkeep so I'm not optimistic about that part.

It's a little scary to think he's out there and we don't know what's going on, but I like to think if somebody went through all this trouble and risked going to jail to theft just to have Buzzy, they're probably taking good care of him. ✌

Cheekylittlerobot

Original Poster
As someone with a big fondness for animatronics and who kiiiind of treats them like real people, just want to say I understand (I also understand when people DON'T understand), but that is a whole other topic for a whole other forum. :)

Sadly, since Buzzy was taken, we have no photos or concrete information about him whatsoever. If we did, there wouldn't be this huge mystery. Nobody knows where is he or why he was taken or pretty much anything beyond him and Hypothalamus are gone.

The last we saw of him before he disappeared, he had been spruced up considerably (lazy eye fixed, eyebrows replaced) despite his hands being bare robotics, which I find a little bittersweet. I see a lot of different photos where his hands are regular hands, then brown gloves, then bare, but it's hard to establish a timeline.

There's no way he could have fallen; he was bolted to a chair that was part of a rig designed to move all over the place all day every day for years at a time, so don't worry about that. If the hydraulic lines leading to his animatronic were becoming frayed, this wouldn't have affected his seating, just his movement. It's very likely that after years of sitting there not doing anything, he was not functional. I understand Imagineers were in there at one point testing his functionality (or maybe that was just a rumor...), but obviously we are not going to get an update on that. We don't know if he still worked or not. Animatronics can require a lot of upkeep so I'm not optimistic about that part.

It's a little scary to think he's out there and we don't know what's going on, but I like to think if somebody went through all this trouble and risked going to jail to theft just to have Buzzy, they're probably taking good care of him. ✌

Hmmm, I agree. You make a good point. I know the chair lift was supposed to be strong, I'm just thinking that it might have weakened over time, likely not receiving any maintenance. Even if this is not the case, he could have been damaged when they were removing him? Like, they were trying to be careful but he slipped and fell (explaining the choppy looking removal)? Yes, the lines were frayed, but they could have removed the ripped part with more care still.) I know Disney wants to avoid press with this, but since there is already Cranium Command concept art on Instagram, they could easily post a casual pic, as they have done with other pieces of the archives and "answer" our question with having to give details or say anything specific.

To me, either Buzzy is really stolen (hence why no pics) or they are just cowards. (Even if they don't wanna show him without clothes, they could take a pic of his face.) If he was never stolen, what's there to hide?

KDM31091

As much as I understand it is ultimately just a machine, I get where you're coming from. It would be nice to just have a concrete answer. Will we ever get it? Who knows. A small part of me hopes Buzzy will make some type of appearance in the new pavilion, even though I really doubt it. Outside of us nostalgia freaks, I don't think the general public is really freaking out about Buzzy; he wasn't tied to any super popular IP or anything. Still, one can hope Disney sees the fanbase and addresses it I guess.

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

I remember when Mr. Toad was removed from the graveyard I would ask about him from time to time and they were apparently only allowed to say that he was "on vacation". He's back now though and I every time I walk by I always look at him. Can't speak to this particular story but I do know how it feels to be interested in a particular thing that suddenly goes away though.

JIMINYCR

To me, either Buzzy is really stolen (hence why no pics) or they are just cowards. (Even if they don't wanna show him without clothes, they could take a pic of his face.) If he was never stolen, what's there to hide?

Theres nothing to hide. Wether it was stolen or some insider had something to do with it, its an internal matter and Disney has no need to disclose anything to outsiders. To Disney its an old worn out defunct piece of an abandoned attraction that was probably never going to be utilized again. They could have thrown him in the dump heap years ago like many other extinct attraction props and no one would have known. They have no emotional attachment and they have no reason or need to reply to anyones call of distress regarding a piece of junk. For you and some others to form an emotional attachment to a discarded prop, they must be having a good laugh.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom