Thoughts on "holding" quick service tables?

TongaToast21

Original Poster
When trying to eat at a quick service spot (Casey's, Woody's notably) in any of the parks, do you send someone in your party to go and find/wait for an empty table? If they are successful, they essentially will be at a table with no food while you to wait in line, order food, wait for food, and then find them. Meanwhile people that have their trays of food are left standing looking for a spot. Occasionally I used to partake in this, but this most recent trip I realized how annoying this is when I see other people do it, so we stopped. What do you all think?

JohnD

Get the popcorn. This is going to be good.

popcorn_jon_stewart.gif

Bartledvd

Food is cold straight from the counter so walking round for 20 minutes is not going to make it any worse.

Just no point spoling other peoples days holding a table you dont need for 20+ minutes.

righttrack

My wife is big on doing this. Me not so much. There is a flow, and people have places to go so there shouldn't be anyone lingering at tables for hours. This isn't brunch at the local watering hole. You've got fastpasses, ADRs, etc. People will move accordingly.

JohnD

When trying to eat at a quick service spot (Casey's, Woody's notably) in any of the parks, do you send someone in your party to go and find/wait for an empty table? If they are successful, they essentially will be at a table with no food while you to wait in line, order food, wait for food, and then find them. Meanwhile people that have their trays of food are left standing looking for a spot. Occasionally I used to partake in this, but this most recent trip I realized how annoying this is when I see other people do it, so we stopped. What do you all think?

Okay, I'll bite. Most of the time it's just me so not an issue. But lets take the case of my mother when I went to WDW with my folks several years ago. At home she can walk around the house just fine. But at WDW, she requires a wheelchair because of so much walking. There is no way her feet could handle it. So, my Dad wheeled her around the parks. Should she have to be wheeled up to a counter service line? No, leave the wheelchair at the table, she gets out and sits in a seat while my Dad and I order.

Bartledvd

Okay, I'll bite. Most of the time it's just me so not an issue. But lets take the case of my mother when I went to WDW with my folks several years ago. At home she can walk around the house just fine. But at WDW, she requires a wheelchair because of so much walking. There is no way her feet could handle it. So, my Dad wheeled her around the parks. Should she have to be wheeled up to a counter service line? No, leave the wheelchair at the table, she gets out and sits in a seat while my Dad and I order.
I would say this is fair to do like with many situations in life elderly, disabled or parents with very young children need extra time to find a place and get settled.

TongaToast21

Original Poster
I would say this is fair to do like with many situations in life elderly, disabled or parents with very young children need extra time to find a place and get settled.
Definitely agree with the above, I'm sorry for not making the exceptions clearer in the OP!

Minnie Mum

completely disagree! tables are there to be sat on! what rule says you have to get food then find a table? we always send one person up whilst the others sit. this time il have a toddler and baby with me too so will definitely get a table whilst the others are in line 👍🏼
Bolded: how about common courtesy for those who already have trays of rapidly cooling food who can't find a place to sit?
If that's too much for you then you may be sorely disappointed at some of the CS restaurants like Cosmic Ray's, where at busier times they do not allow anyone to be seated until you have your food order in hand. Guests with children in strollers, or those in wheelchairs may wait to one side. We encountered this a few times on my last visit. I had no problem waiting to one side in my wheelchair until DH had our food.

At quieter times, when finding a table isn't difficult, then I don't care if you camp out there as long as you want.

jaklgreen

I think that if you go at peak time and you see that there are people walking around with their food looking for a place to sit, then you should not do that. If you really need to send the kids with dad and grandma to go sit down, then go and eat at an off time, which is what we did when the kids were young. There were plenty of empty tables free so it did not inconvenience anyone. A little common courtesy goes a long way.

lazyboy97o

The ordering areas are not really designed to accommodate entire parties. They are too narrow and cramped. This only helps to encourage parties to split up.

This really should not be an issue. Disney wants the crowding and intentionally keeps capacity strained. Even the world’s busiest theme park has unused and under used dining facilities, shrinking capacity instead of increasing capacity.

Universal has done a very good job in the design of their high demand quick service venues in the Wizarding World and Springfield. Everything is [mostly] single file, which helps with throughput, with sufficient space for entire parties. Then, on busier days, staff seat patrons instead of making them wander for a big enough spot.

Muffinpants

On our last trip we used mobile ordering and would place the order while walking to the QS and say we are there abit early. So we would walk in find a spot sit and one of us would get up and get the food when it rang ready. (prolly 2-5 min). I dont see an issue at all. Its disney were all hot and hungry. What needs to happen is familys need to be able to share tables with strangers when needed ( party of 2 using a 4-6 person table and not letting anyone else sit) now that I have an issue with.

Club Cooloholic

Well it depends. If with a bunch of kids, I think people in line would probably prefer you get them out of the way and seated asap. A other move is to wait till the food is ordered, then one person goes to scout out a table while the other waits for the food. So it's more like sitting at a table without food for 5 mins as opposed to 20.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Usually one of two ways with me.

1. We all wait in line until we order. Then I send DW and the kids to find a table while I wait for the food to come out.
  2. I mobile order and they immediately go find a table while I go get the food.
I have more of a "problem" with the folk that want to sit and engage in a 20 minute conversation AFTER they've finished eating - thus tying up a table unnecessarily. You want to sit around and gab at a TS, fine. But don't do it at a QS where space is limited.

Club Cooloholic

Usually one of two ways with me.

1. We all wait in line until we order. Then I send DW and the kids to find a table while I wait for the food to come out.
  2. I mobile order and they immediately go find a table while I go get the food.
I have more of a "problem" with the folk that want to sit and engage in a 20 minute conversation AFTER they've finished eating - thus tying up a table unnecessarily. You want to sit around and gab at a TS, fine. But don't do it at a QS where space is limited.
Totally agree

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom