Incident at Epcot today(March 6th)

draybook

Original Poster
??? wait, two drunkin morons get into a public fight in a crowded venue and you're mad at Disney? Why wouldn't you have grabbed your two year old and gotten the hell outta there??

In this day and age?? I would have turned around and high tailed it back the way I came.

Yes a crowd does need to be told "keep moving to the right", just like drivers have to be told to keep driving when there is an accident. In chaos people stop exhibiting common sense. hence the panic and chaos. I'm willing to bet that the majority of the crowd was standing around trying to capture it on cell phone. What the cm's should have said was ", please stop trying to phone video tape the fight so you can upload it to you tube or instagram and keep it moving"

You obviously didn't read my whole post. We were surrounded by bodies and he was in his stroller. There was no grabbing him and getting out of there. And yes I'm mad at Disney because their crowd control was garbage. I guarantee you there could be dozens of managers and security personnel standing around doing nothing yet they figured that 1 CM every 15 feet saying, "move to the right" was enough. You really need to stop defending Disney at every chance you get.

Last edited:

draybook

Original Poster
And just to add, they also think it's enough to have two older CM gentlemen trying to stop foot traffic so they can raise the bridge. Seriously, some of the morons in charge on property are really setting the bar for idiocy.

eliza61nyc

You obviously didn't read my whole post. We were surrounded by bodies and he was in his stroller. There was no grabbing him and getting out of there. And yes I'm mad at Disney because their crowd control was garbage. I guarantee you there could he dozens of managers and security personnel standing around doing nothing yet they figured that 1 CM every 15 feet saying, "move to the right" was enough. You really need to stop defending Disney at every chance you get.

I'm not defending Disney at all, I've worked security and with a large crowd it's hard to get people moving especially with everyone trying to "see" what's going on and you definitely don't want people to panic and start running. Now I don't know how many managers and security standing around, how do you know??

Next, I do not leave my personal security to others. You said you "got to Norway and Mexico and could go no further, that implied at least to me, that you walked up to that point and could not go any more. were you instantly surrounded by people.??? I'm thinking you were trying to check out what was going on just like everyone else, (which is why it's hard to do crowd control).

basically you're complaining about the very actions you were doing. The cm's were probably simply trying to "clear" the area and get people moving again.

Last edited:

draybook

Original Poster
I'm not defending Disney at all, I've worked security and with a large crowd it's hard to get people moving especially with everyone trying to "see" what's going on and you definitely don't want people to panic and start running. Now I don't know how many managers and security standing around, how do you know??

Next, I do not leave my personal security to others. You said you "got to Norway and Mexico and could go no further, that implied at least to me, that you walked up to that point and could not go any more. were you instantly surrounded by people.??? I'm thinking you were trying to check out what was going on just like everyone else, (which is why it's hard to do crowd control).

LOL so basically you're complaining about the very actions you were doing. The cm's were probably simply trying to "clear" the area and get people moving again.

Yes, you got me there. I even lifted my son in his stroller with my phone in his hand to try to get it on video. Dang, I thought I was clever.

Patcheslee

Given that this was an unplanned incident, unlike parade/fireworks times, I don't see how the CM's could have improved. Whatever disturbance the crowd obviously needed to have direction. Now you may have heard umpteen billion times to move to the right, but others may have not. As far as the wheelchair and other stroller, how is that Disney's fault? Those people are the ones responsible for how close they get, and the fact that you were given more space after being vocal shows that.

Missing20K

When Disneyland opened they had a strict no fighting policy. Anyone who even tried to fight someone ended up with the old man putting out his cigarette on his face while Mickey stood by and laughed at the perpetrator.

draybook

Original Poster
Given that this was an unplanned incident, unlike parade/fireworks times, I don't see how the CM's could have improved. Whatever disturbance the crowd obviously needed to have direction. Now you may have heard umpteen billion times to move to the right, but others may have not. As far as the wheelchair and other stroller, how is that Disney's fault? Those people are the ones responsible for how close they get, and the fact that you were given more space after being vocal shows that.

If you re-read my post, you'll see where I say Disney LEADERSHIP. You know, those groups of 4-5 managers that you'll commonly see walking around, chit chatting. And when you have several hundred, if not more, people in that size of an area, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to clear it correctly. And leader with a half functioning brain should direct people with strollers and wheelchairs/ECVs to the far right. Everyone else to those people's left/middle. I seriously don't see how these folks can't figure out something so simple, whether it was a planned event or not. Response to any incident is indicative of leadership.

So to paint the picture for those who don't get it, imagine the funnel room/doombuggy boarding room but with a bunch of people drinking and strollers and wheelchairs trying to merge. My only hope is that the morons responsible for the fight are banned for life.

draybook

Original Poster
Your post was clear as mud. Was the fight still happening? Had it just ended? Was this the aftermath 30 minutes later?

Hard to tell when you're about 100 people deep from the event and you keep being told to stay to the right even though everyone is at a standstill and there's no turning around due to there being a few hundred that way.

LuvWDW2

Hard to tell when you're about 100 people deep from the event and you keep being told to stay to the right even though everyone is at a standstill and there's no turning around due to there being a few hundred that way.

Again, why did you willingly walk into a crowd 100 people deep if it wasn’t moving? It’s not like it suddenly formed as you walked from Norway. And IF it did, how could crowd control disburse it immediately?

draybook

Original Poster
Again, why did you willingly walk into a crowd 100 people deep if it wasn’t moving? It’s not like it suddenly formed as you walked from Norway. And IF it did, how could crowd control disburse it immediately?

Well, there were a mass of us walking that way and you couldn't tell it was at a standstill until you got to it. You see, contrary to popular belief, I am not Shaquille O'Neal. Therefore, I was unable to see 300 yards away from the China pavilion to the spot where this was happening. Also, funnels tend to happen at Epcot so it seemed semi normal, given how much walkway space is taken up by drunky bars for these festivals. And with the lack of communication and leadership from Disney, nobody knew what was going on until after the fact.

Anything else you need cleared up?

draybook

Original Poster
Also, if you would READ my post before this, I gave a pretty good example of how you clear this mess. There wasn't one suit or lead that I could see the entire time. THAT is who should have been out there clearing the mess, not the poor regular hourly people. That's what being a leader is all about.

DisneyJoe

Well, there were a mass of us walking that way and you couldn't tell it was at a standstill until you got to it. You see, contrary to popular belief, I am not Shaquille O'Neal. Therefore, I was unable to see 300 yards away from the China pavilion to the spot where this was happening. Also, funnels tend to happen at Epcot so it seemed semi normal, given how much walkway space is taken up by drunky bars for these festivals. And with the lack of communication and leadership from Disney, nobody knew what was going on until after the fact.

Anything else you need cleared up?
Let's assume 100 people were around the incident and immediately formed when it occurred - and 100 or more came from your side and 100 or more were coming from the other side and all jammed up - and you couldn't move into this mess - how was Disney supposed to get into the mess and get it cleared more so than than they already did?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom