Captain Marvel

Mike S

The votes are still up but the percentage score has been removed by Rotten Tomatoes. Sounds like damage control.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The votes are still up but the percentage score has been removed by Rotten Tomatoes. Sounds like damage control.

Indeed, RT has a page explaining their reconfiguring of scores...

Starting this week, Rotten Tomatoes will launch the first of several phases of updates that will refresh and modernize our Audience Rating System. We’re doing it to more accurately and authentically represent the voice of fans, while protecting our data and public forums from bad actors. ...​
What else are we doing? We are disabling the comment function prior to a movie’s release date. Unfortunately, we have seen an uptick in non-constructive input, sometimes bordering on trolling, which we believe is a disservice to our general readership. We have decided that turning off this feature for now is the best course of action. Don’t worry though, fans will still get to have their say: Once a movie is released, audiences can leave a user rating and comments as they always have.​

They're discouraging the organized troll bombing.

Princess Leia

Starting this week, Rotten Tomatoes will launch the first of several phases of updates that will refresh and modernize our Audience Rating System. We’re doing it to more accurately and authentically represent the voice of fans, while protecting our data and public forums from bad actors. ...​
What else are we doing? We are disabling the comment function prior to a movie’s release date. Unfortunately, we have seen an uptick in non-constructive input, sometimes bordering on trolling, which we believe is a disservice to our general readership. We have decided that turning off this feature for now is the best course of action. Don’t worry though, fans will still get to have their say: Once a movie is released, audiences can leave a user rating and comments as they always have.​

Good.

Mike S

I just wonder if the same efforts would be done if it was the other side complaining about something a man said.

erasure fan1

I have always found it odd that any site lets you review something before it actually releases. This happens With video games all The time.

Mike S

I have always found it odd that any site lets you review something before it actually releases. This happens With video games all The time.
It wasn’t reviews. It was simply a question of “do you want to see this movie?” and a percentage based on how many said “yes.”
You mean like the brown storm that kicked up after Rian Johnson's tweets defending TLJ and how RT had to purge some of the hate comments?

Yes.
On his own accord from how I payed attention to it. None of the big media outlets were calling him out and many on that side celebrated him for saying those things.

And I’m talking about someone who wouldn’t be seen as “on their side.” Would they be so quick to say “look at the proper context!” then? My guess is no.

When it comes to Larson I think she just used a poor choice of words to get her point across.

Last edited:

Princess Leia

I remember that there were a LOT of negative ‘reviews’ on the RT page for A Wrinkle in Time before it came out, but also after it came out people were giving it low scores and writing in the review that they didn’t see it. Granted, I didn’t see AWiT (and from the actual reviews, I don’t think I missed anything special), but I’m sure it didn’t deserve the racist reviews.

Mike S

I remember that there were a LOT of negative ‘reviews’ on the RT page for A Wrinkle in Time before it came out, but also after it came out people were giving it low scores and writing in the review that they didn’t see it. Granted, I didn’t see AWiT (and from the actual reviews, I don’t think I missed anything special), but I’m sure it didn’t deserve the racist reviews.
No one saw A Wrinkle in Time and you can’t blame only reviews for that unless you try to make an argument that everyone puts immense weight in review scores.

People just need to accept no one was really interested.

Mike S

The didn't-see pre-reviews were mocking it for forced diversity.
And? If people really cared to see the movie they would’ve ignored it.

I’m pretty sure Black Panther got similar idiotic flak from that same group and look how that turned out.

People, didn’t, care, about, the, movie, period.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And? If people really cared to see the movie they would’ve ignored it.

I’m pretty sure Black Panther got similar idiotic flak from that same group and look how that turned out.

People, didn’t, care, about, the, movie, period.

You wanted to know if this happened to other movies to warrant RT policy change. It did.

Princess Leia

"[We wanted] to make that big love— that lost love, that love that’s found again—be with [Carol’s] best friend. To show that, that’s incredibly powerful and gripping, and you could go to the ends of the Earth and fight till the end for your best friend. It’s perfect to me and so meaningful. To me, that’s a part of what the meditation of this movie is: It’s female strength, but what is female strength? What are the different ways that can look? "

I'm pretty intrigued by all of this :) They did it with the Captain America movies too

Mike S

"[We wanted] to make that big love— that lost love, that love that’s found again—be with [Carol’s] best friend. To show that, that’s incredibly powerful and gripping, and you could go to the ends of the Earth and fight till the end for your best friend. It’s perfect to me and so meaningful. To me, that’s a part of what the meditation of this movie is: It’s female strength, but what is female strength? What are the different ways that can look? "

I'm pretty intrigued by all of this :) They did it with the Captain America movies too
Tony Stark always had Pepper but they built up his friendship with Rhodey as well too. I think Gaurdians also somewhat goes this route even though we have the obvious Peter and Gamora.

Princess Leia

Tony Stark always had Pepper but they built up his friendship with Rhodey as well too. I think Gaurdians also somewhat goes this route even though we have the obvious Peter and Gamora.
Tony & Pepper and Peter & Gamora had slow burn romantic relationships (took a couple movies to get the relationships started), but I’ll give you Tony/Rhodey. But the Captain America films have always had more of a base of the friendship between Steve & Bucky, more than Steve & Peggy, or Steve & Sam.

Mike S

Tony & Pepper and Peter & Gamora had slow burn romantic relationships (took a couple movies to get the relationships started), but I’ll give you Tony/Rhodey. But the Captain America films have always had more of a base of the friendship between Steve & Bucky, more than Steve & Peggy, or Steve & Sam.
Yup and I totally agree. Just pointing out other friendships.

Got to admit though it’s a shame we won’t be able to see Cap settling down and attempting to have a normal life. He deserves that type of ending after all he’s been through. Then again that could be how Endgame ends and everyone thinking that he’ll die at the end is way off base.

Last edited:

erasure fan1

Then again that could be how Endgame ends and everyone thinking that he’ll die at the end is way off base
I've been saying for a while that I think Steve won't die. He might "die" like he did in the first avenger but not permanently. I think they want an out so they can bring him back into the fold when needed. He still wants to play the part just not to the extent he has been. So I can see a scenario that he is able to return in later movies. It's a win win for both parties and the fans.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom