Two hotel reservations at the same time

Rob562

Original Poster
It looks like I may encounter a situation in November that I haven't seen anyone post about yet... Has anyone ever been linked to two *simultaneous* hotel reservations?

A short backstory: We're staying for a week in a 2-bedroom at Saratoga Springs. While a couple of us will be there the entire time, there will be two "groups" in the second bedroom. One for 4 nights, the other for 3 nights. Since the total number of people going (6) doesn't exceed the capacity of the 2-bedroom unit (8) we're all listed on the reservation. (Magical Express has everyone's proper arrival and departure info)

Now here's the tricky part. The second group is considering arriving a day or two early and get a cheap room at a value resort. They'll then move over to SSR when the bedroom is free. Since the dates of that All-Star reservation will overlap the one at Saratoga, they'll have two listings for each of them for those nights. I'm worried there might be issues, mostly with room access and their Bands. Room Charge presumably won't be an issue because they won't set up an account at SSR until they get there.

Has anyone experienced this situation? Did you have any problems? I wonder if I should call the MDE Help Line and ask their opinion before they go and make their All-Star reservation...

-Rob

MMDVC

So far it does not seem to affect the dining reservations but I am worried about the FPwindow opening soon just before Halloween. Hope somebody has the answers!

dreamfinder

Just to try to understand this, You have 3 groups of couples, A, B & C. Couple A is booked at SSR from 2nd-9th (using these dates for math). Couple B is currently supposed to be at SSR from 2nd-5th and Couple C is supposed to be at SSR from 6th-9th. Is Couple B looking to come down on the 1st and stay at All Stars? Or is Couple C looking to come down on the 5th and stay at All Stars?

DVCPluto

Can we assume the overlap is in theory only because everyone is listed on the SSR res the whole time? So Couple C wants to arrive earlier than planned as in @dreamfinder 's scenerio?

Definitely worth a call and interesting! Let us know how it is resolved!

Rob562

Original Poster
Can we assume the overlap is in theory only because everyone is listed on the SSR res the whole time? So Couple C wants to arrive earlier than planned as in @dreamfinder 's scenerio?

Definitely worth a call and interesting! Let us know how it is resolved!

Precisely the scenario. I'm just worried about the MDE system seeing Couple C as being at two resort at the same time and causing an issue. Ideally it would give them access to both rooms at the same time, even if they only need access to one at any given time.

Under pre-MDE system it wouldn't be a problem, they'd just have two separate room key cards to juggle and keep track of.

An additional option is to have Couple C *not* link their hotel reservation to their MDE accounts, but that would mean their Bands from the two reservations couldn't work interchangeably. They could use the Band from the Value resort for room access and their RFID ticket for park entry and FP+ usage, and then use the SSR Band when they transfer, which would have their park ticket linked and would allow full use of the Band, plus the Band they have from their previous trip. The Value resort Band would then be useless.

I'll be giving MDE Support a call later on today and report back.

-Rob

Sweet Melissa

I don't think that should be a problem. When we had our wedding at WDW last year, we technically had two rooms in two different resorts on the nights before and after the wedding. Disney understood and were fine with it. Bell services even transported luggage between the two resorts for us.

Tom

Beta Return
It looks like I may encounter a situation in November that I haven't seen anyone post about yet... Has anyone ever been linked to two *simultaneous* hotel reservations?

A short backstory: We're staying for a week in a 2-bedroom at Saratoga Springs. While a couple of us will be there the entire time, there will be two "groups" in the second bedroom. One for 4 nights, the other for 3 nights. Since the total number of people going (6) doesn't exceed the capacity of the 2-bedroom unit (8) we're all listed on the reservation. (Magical Express has everyone's proper arrival and departure info)

Now here's the tricky part. The second group is considering arriving a day or two early and get a cheap room at a value resort. They'll then move over to SSR when the bedroom is free. Since the dates of that All-Star reservation will overlap the one at Saratoga, they'll have two listings for each of them for those nights. I'm worried there might be issues, mostly with room access and their Bands. Room Charge presumably won't be an issue because they won't set up an account at SSR until they get there.

Has anyone experienced this situation? Did you have any problems? I wonder if I should call the MDE Help Line and ask their opinion before they go and make their All-Star reservation...

-Rob

Don't worry, @Rob562 will chime in soon with the answer. He always has the best information on this type of stuff. Looking forward to his response.

;)

Rob562

Original Poster
I don't think that should be a problem. When we had our wedding at WDW last year, we technically had two rooms in two different resorts on the nights before and after the wedding. Disney understood and were fine with it. Bell services even transported luggage between the two resorts for us.

Yes, but back-to-back reservations aren't the issue. Having people assigned to hotel rooms at two different resorts on the *same* night is my concern.

I'll try the Help Desk on my lunch break today.

-Rob

Sweet Melissa

Yes, but back-to-back reservations aren't the issue. Having people assigned to hotel rooms at two different resorts on the *same* night is my concern.

I'll try the Help Desk on my lunch break today.

-Rob
I wasn't clear. We had a long reservation at one resort, and concurrent with that time, a two-night reservation at another. So, we were technically "staying" in two rooms simultaneously.

Rob562

Original Poster
I wasn't clear. We had a long reservation at one resort, and concurrent with that time, a two-night reservation at another. So, we were technically "staying" in two rooms simultaneously.

Ah, good to hear. :)

(BTW, was this while My Disney Experience was rolled out? Did you have Magic Bands for both reservations?)

-Rob

Sweet Melissa

It was! This was last November. We had two sets of Magic Bands, and although one set was "assigned" to one hotel and one to the other, both worked interchangeably at both resorts.

Rob562

Original Poster
Hmmm... Well, I spoke to a nice lady at the MDE Help Desk this afternoon. Despite @Sweet Melissa 's experience, she said that the system will most likely have issues with two simultaneous reservations assigned to one person. So while we *might* be OK, I don't think we'll chance it. (If it were myself I probably would for the sake of "stress testing" the MDE system, but I wouldn't want to put my friend through possible issues)

So here's the alternative plan I came up with that my friend agrees isn't that big of an inconvenience:
He's creating a *second* account on MDE using a different email than his primary login. The All-Star reservation (and only the All-Star reservation) will get linked to that account. His primary account will get the Saratoga Springs reservation, park ticket, FP+, etc.

For the first two days he'll use the Band associated with the All-Star for his room key *only* (and room charging if he chooses). To get into the parks and use FP+ he'll use the physical RFID ticket he purchased separately.

On the day he moves to Saratoga and won't need access to his All-Star room, he can start using the Band from the SSR reservation as well as the one he has from his previous trip for all aspects of the trip, since those are both linked to his primary account. At that point the All-Star Band becomes useless and can be thrown away.

The only true inconvenience is not being able to fully use the Band until Day 3, having to use the physical ticket those first days.

-Rob

dreamfinder

If they add the RFID ticket to the SSR reservation (which they will need to do to get FP+ bookings for the SSR portion of the stay) they can use the SSR band to enter the parks as well. No need to use the physical ticket ever. That way he can at least do FP+ 30 days out for those 2 days. Assuming this isn't a separate 2 day only ticket. And he could ask at the desk on check in for a card instead of the band. They will recycle the new bands from All Stars, and give him a card that works only for the room. Means one less band for them to worry about.

Rob562

Original Poster
If they add the RFID ticket to the SSR reservation (which they will need to do to get FP+ bookings for the SSR portion of the stay) they can use the SSR band to enter the parks as well. No need to use the physical ticket ever. That way he can at least do FP+ 30 days out for those 2 days. Assuming this isn't a separate 2 day only ticket. And he could ask at the desk on check in for a card instead of the band. They will recycle the new bands from All Stars, and give him a card that works only for the room. Means one less band for them to worry about.

Yup, aware of all that. The ticket is linked to his main MDE profile, which means that any Bands associated with that profile can be used to access the ticket. That'd be the Saratoga Band and his Band from his trip last fall. But whether or not he gets the card for the room at All Stars, he's still going to have to juggle a card and a Band for the first two days. It just whittles down to which action he wants to use the card for. (Plus getting the card from All Stars would require additional effort to get the front desk to assign him one, something that some posters on here have said takes a bit of persistence with the front desk staff. Using the All Star Band and RFID ticket is set up to work from the start)

Technically, he could even wear two Bands, one on each wrist (one that's his All Star room key and the other is his Saratoga key, ticket and FP+) but that's getting a little silly. :)

-Rob

espov

Hmmm... Well, I spoke to a nice lady at the MDE Help Desk this afternoon. Despite @Sweet Melissa 's experience, she said that the system will most likely have issues with two simultaneous reservations assigned to one person. So while we might be OK, I don't think we'll chance it. (If it were myself I probably would for the sake of "stress testing" the MDE system, but I wouldn't want to put my friend through possible issues)

So here's the alternative plan I came up with that my friend agrees isn't that big of an inconvenience:
He's creating a second account on MDE using a different email than his primary login. The All-Star reservation (and only the All-Star reservation) will get linked to that account. His primary account will get the Saratoga Springs reservation, park ticket, FP+, etc.

For the first two days he'll use the Band associated with the All-Star for his room key only (and room charging if he chooses). To get into the parks and use FP+ he'll use the physical RFID ticket he purchased separately.

On the day he moves to Saratoga and won't need access to his All-Star room, he can start using the Band from the SSR reservation as well as the one he has from his previous trip for all aspects of the trip, since those are both linked to his primary account. At that point the All-Star Band becomes useless and can be thrown away.

The only true inconvenience is not being able to fully use the Band until Day 3, having to use the physical ticket those first days.

-Rob
How did you make out.. i see this is an old post--- but i have a similar situation. i booked a dvc room with rental points form aug 28-sept 4 and my bro a room at art of animation aug 27- aug 31. i added him as a guest to my reservation as well- so he's staying in two different resorts during his stay is this a problem with magic bands? when i order mine will he get one from my reservation and one from his reservation?-- the lady on the phone at Disney said if we get caught we will have to pay.. not sure pay what if the room at dvc i rented is up to 5 ppl and he is paying for his reservation and tickets. i just want to know will he have two bands and that's that or is everything linked to one band. when he logs on to his account it show both hotel reservations as when i log onto my acct i see both his reservations. any insight is greatly appreciated... have a magical day...

nickys

Premium Member
How did you make out.. i see this is an old post--- but i have a similar situation. i booked a dvc room with rental points form aug 28-sept 4 and my bro a room at art of animation aug 27- aug 31. i added him as a guest to my reservation as well- so he's staying in two different resorts during his stay is this a problem with magic bands? when i order mine will he get one from my reservation and one from his reservation?-- the lady on the phone at Disney said if we get caught we will have to pay.. not sure pay what if the room at dvc i rented is up to 5 ppl and he is paying for his reservation and tickets. i just want to know will he have two bands and that's that or is everything linked to one band. when he logs on to his account it show both hotel reservations as when i log onto my acct i see both his reservations. any insight is greatly appreciated... have a magical day...

Not sure what the CM meant when she said “if you get caught you will have to pay”. There is no extra adult charge for DVC. But he must be listed on the DVC reservation.

So he’s got his own room and is on your DVC reservation? Are both these with the same MDE profile?

Either way, he will get a magic band for both stays. I don’t know if both bands will open the door to both rooms or not, so when he personalises them he should maybe include something to identify it eg: “Bro AoA” and “Bro DVC”. If both ressie s link to the same version of him in MDE, both bands should access all his FPs etc, it’s just the room doors that I’m not sure about.

espov

Not sure what the CM meant when she said “if you get caught you will have to pay”. There is no extra adult charge for DVC. But he must be listed on the DVC reservation.

So he’s got his own room and is on your DVC reservation? Are both these with the same MDE profile?

Either way, he will get a magic band for both stays. I don’t know if both bands will open the door to both rooms or not, so when he personalises them he should maybe include something to identify it eg: “Bro AoA” and “Bro DVC”. If both ressie s link to the same version of him in MDE, both bands should access all his FPs etc, it’s just the room doors that I’m not sure about.
Thank you so much..yes both on same mde acct-- i think she assumed i booked a room for me and my family through the disney website- and by passed the additional room charge per person-- but i know that doesn't apply to dvc rooms... we really don't care about having two different magic bands as we'll make them different colors and his dvc band will open the room and allow him to use the pool and his other band will have his resort and his park tickets and fastpass--- correct?--- thank you sooo much i was scared of giving too much info to disney in case i was doing something wrong...lol

nickys

Premium Member
Thank you so much..yes both on same mde acct-- i think she assumed i booked a room for me and my family through the disney website- and by passed the additional room charge per person-- but i know that doesn't apply to dvc rooms... we really don't care about having two different magic bands as we'll make them different colors and his dvc band will open the room and allow him to use the pool and his other band will have his resort and his park tickets and fastpass--- correct?--- thank you sooo much i was scared of giving too much info to disney in case i was doing something wrong...lol

As long as he’s listed on the DVC reservation, you’ve done nothing wrong! I didn’t know if you could be on two at once, obviously you can. I don’t think you can be the lead name on both.

As for bands.... these just access his MDE account. That’s where his tickets and FPs are stored. So both bands will have his tickets and fastpasses, as long as his name is identical on both reservations. If not, you may have a problem.

I don’t know how his resort reservations will be “managed” by the bands though. I’m not sure if one band can unlock two doors, it might be that he will need to use both, depending on where he is. But a CM should be able to see he has two reservations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom