News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Disney Analyst

13-15 second cabin separation in that last video... for those keeping an eye on that all important capacity debate :)

Edit: of course this isn't necessarily what will be done in normal operations.. but it gives you an idea of what that volume looks like.. 15 secs = 4 cabins a min, 240 cabins an hour.. if 6 ppl.. that's just 1440 per hour.. 1920 if 8 average.

Per station, so doesnā€™t seem too bad? If thatā€™s the case.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
13-15 second cabin separation in that last video... for those keeping an eye on that all important capacity debate :)

Edit: of course this isn't necessarily what will be done in normal operations.. but it gives you an idea of what that volume looks like.. 15 secs = 4 cabins a min, 240 cabins an hour.. if 6 ppl.. that's just 1440 per hour.. 1920 if 8 average.

Assuming a packed bus holds 112 passengers and the gondolas are inefficiently filled with 6 people, then that is the equivalent of one bus every 4 and a half minutes.

mmssbrg2

Assuming a packed bus holds 112 passengers and the gondolas are inefficiently filled with 6 people, then that is the equivalent of one bus every 4 and a half minutes.
Judging from the 'in-station' video, I assume in normal operation they'll be spaced closer together, so the capacity will likely be higher yet.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Judging from the 'in-station' video, I assume in normal operation they'll be spaced closer together, so the capacity will likely be higher yet.

Closer together in the station is how they increase the time the cabin can stay in the station and maintain the dispatch interval. They move slower in the station, so more cabins are in the station.. closer.

joelkfla

There's a lot of space between the cabins in the station. I think they can just about double the frequency by running them closer together. In YouTubes of the La Paz system, the cabins are nearly touching each other in the load area.

mmssbrg2

Closer together in the station is how they increase the time the cabin can stay in the station and maintain the dispatch interval. They move slower in the station, so more cabins are in the station.. closer.
I understand why they're closer in the station than they are on the rope. My point is they're spaced farther apart than they could be in the station so unless they change the speed ratio between the station and rope, they will likely be closer together both in the station and on the rope in normal operation. Thus, higher capacity than estimated by this video.

JoeCamel

Weeeeee!

Now we just need to know the distance between towers to clock their speed. Google isn't updated enough to have the poles to measure... :(
If you can figure out how long the rollers on the towers are you could time that. I'm guessing 15.6 feet or more and two seconds to traverse that distance.

Goofyque'

Ok, those are moving at a fair clip, certainly enough to generate a breeze. I would not think any hotter than the walk to studios that everyone seems to be so enamored of. Great view, and short distances. Will be sure to wave as I float past.

Patcheslee

Weeeeee!

Now we just need to know the distance between towers to clock their speed. Google isn't updated enough to have the poles to measure... :(
If you go to street view some poles are visible, then pin that point on the map.
Weeeeee!

But you can go to street view, and see multiple support locations. Then pin the location and measure distance
28.363994,-81.550939
28.364298,-81.549673
are a couple

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    65.3 KB · Views: 207

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom