News Announced: Mary Poppins Attraction in UK Pavilion

Timothy_Q

Both "hints" were at Epcot. Therefore, I wouldn't think it unreasonable to assume the other things to be moving forward would be in Epcot as well. That leaves us Coco, Spine, SSE Refurb, etc. I have a feeling we're only going to be speculating which one of these are the chosen ones until we hear some more whistling from insiders, though.
3 projects for epcot being approved at once would be amazing for the park

yensidtlaw1969

Both hints were at Epcot. Therefore, I wouldn't think it unreasonable to assume the other things that could be "whistled about" would be in Epcot. That leaves us Coco, Spine, SSE Refurb, etc. I have a feeling we're only going to be speculating which one of these are the chosen ones until we hear some more whistling from insiders, though.
If I had to eliminate one using deductive reasoning I would make an educated guess that Coco is off the list -- last we heard they seemed to have determined that transforming that Pavilion would be paying money to close an attraction for an extended period only for it to reopen without being able to "move the needle" in any meaningful way. For all the money they'd spend, the net gain to them would be basically zero.

Whereas putting that same money towards Poppins would actively solve some problems for the park -- namely, putting an attraction just inside the Gateway so people can get on a ride when they arrive off the Skyliner after being turned away from DHS. Or giving them something close by to do while they wait for their Ratatouille Fastpass window. Not to mention actually adding a ride to the park's lineup, rather than repurposing one that's already working well enough.

doctornick

So, even if this is moving forward, it's still an open question as to (1) which IP would be used - Poppins? Brave? and (2) what kind of ride. Hopefully, it will be a dark ride, even if it is a smaller low key Fantasyland style one.

Haymarket2008

It’s not 1986.

I know I'm implying something you haven't even outright said, but I can't really wrap my head around the investment of something like a meet & greet or a carousel.....in that prime area.....as a "counter-measure" for Ratatouille and the gondolas for that side of the park. A dark ride would NAIL it. Why even invest the money in something like that when other projects are screaming for it?

Haymarket2008

I know we all are teased by dreams unfulfilled. I know we all want that dark ride, but there's nothing inherently wrong with a classy carousel. I won't spit in their eye if the options are between carousel or nothing.

I tend to agree, to an extent. I guess my gripe is that there have been, at least to my knowledge, two different proposals for a UK dark ride. Poppins and Brave. So the fact that they would opt not to do either of those in favor of something that could easily be experienced at the Magic Kingdom is frustrating. A carousel that plays Chim Chimeree is literally an experience that can be had already.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ya know, I wouldn't mind a carousel if they did it right...
  • Big: a double decker
  • Big: a much wider carousel that has benches as well as critters to ride
  • extremely themed: not just horses, but all the animated animals from both films (yes, even penguins!)
  • extremely themed: the area taken over is a reproduction of 17 Cherry Hill Lane with the carousel in the adjoining park with chalk drawings and flying kites, and helium balloons, and a proper Mary Poppins M&G (one lobby, many rooms version a la Sommerhus) through a Royal Doulton Music Hall facade
  • extremely themed: a real, giant calliope playing tunes from both movies and other Disney movies associated with the UK

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom