Mandatory “Room Check” - Take the poll...

Do you agree with the mandatory room inspection every 24 hours?

• Total voters

frank2271

Original Poster
Hello all,

I spent marathon weekend at All Star Movies last weekend. Checked in solo on Wednesday, my wife came over on Friday. Got up at 2:30 to run the 5k on Thursday. Returned to the room after the race to shower and take a nap. During my nap I got a tap at the door. At first I ignored it but it happened again so I got out of bed and went to the door. Looking through the peep hole I saw a woman. I asked, “can I help you?” She said “room check”. I opened the door and she just walked in, walked into the bathroom and flushed the toilet and ran the faucet. She then walked out without saying anything. I asked her if this would happen everyday and she smiled and said “yes”. The next day, Friday, I got up early again and ran the 10k. I returned to the room to shower and left for home to pick up my bride. As I was leaving the room I decided to place my shoes close to the door so I would know that Disney was in my room. When we returned the shoes were pushed over by the door, so they were in my room again. On Saturday we both got up at 2:30, I to run the half and my bride to cheer me on. After the race we returned to the room and showered and hoped into bed for a nap. At this point it was very difficult to relax in bed since we were both expecting a knock at the door for the inspection. Sure enough about an hour into our nap someone was tapping on the door. My wife jumped up to answer the door in only her pajama shirt, she opened the door and the man standing there looked shocked, through up his arms and said “I’m sorry” and walked away. The last day, Sunday, we left for home after the marathon and a quick shower.

First, a question to the group. Does anyone have the official policy from Disney on this? I can not find it online. I’m finding that most people don’t know they do this and some people flat out tell me I’m wrong about this.

Second, my opinion on this policy. It sucks. Like I said above, we did not feel comfortable relaxing in the room we paid for. This policy is not explained at the time you book the room or when you check in. Disney should tell their “guests” that they have no privacy within their rooms. I have heard stories from people saying that if you don’t open the door they will open it and walk in. Even if you use the latch, they have a tool that can open it. One couple told me that they were there on their honeymoon and were having private time in the shower when they heard someone open the door, it was for the room inspection. They screamed at the man and he ran out. Crazy.

I understand that this started after the Vegas shooting so I emailed a buddy that works at The Wynn Resort and he said that they do room inspection on the guests third full day. Seems a little more reasonable. There should be a sign in the rooms explaining that even though the guest has the “Room Occupied” sign up and has opted out of house keeping (offer me a $30 gift card) there will be a mandatory room inspection every 24 hours. This way guests can at least put private items away and make sure there’s no money or jewelry laying around.

I know there will be a lot of opinions on this, both ways. What do you guys think? What are some of your experiences with this new policy?

Weather_Lady

I understand the reasons for this policy, but you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your hotel room. You should absolutely be informed of the room check policy ahead of time -- and ideally given some idea of the time of day the "inspections" are expected to occur (e.g., "daily between 12pm and 3pm," etc.).

I like your idea of a sign in the rooms informing guests of the policy (which should, in my view, be in addition to guests who opt out of housekeeping being verbally informed of it when they check in). Not informing guests -- and barging in when "do not disturb" signs are up -- is a sure-fire way to ensure that various guests' "afternoon delights" are going to be interrupted in ways that are embarrassing to them and to the room checkers (like the honeymooning couple you mentioned), which can only lead to vociferous complaints, if not lawsuits... not to mention injuries. I can easily foresee scenarios in which a room checker is attacked by a startled guest, who thinks they're confronting an intruder.

Last edited:

HouCuseChickie

I'm mixed on all of this, but having just been in Vegas a few weeks ago, I felt like security was far more visible than I've ever seen it at DLR or WDW. Now, I know that there are supposedly plain clothed security floating around the parks and I'm guessing also the resorts at Disney, but Vegas makes it very obvious. I certainly didn't see guards and K9 units all over the Disney resorts doing routine sweeps like I saw at the Venetian and there were no RFID key scanners and guards before the elevator banks of the Disney resorts like I saw in Vegas as well. There is that part of me that thinks "better safe than sorry," but if we're using Vegas as part of the model for the poll, I think we need to consider how some resorts there are securing things beyond the room checks.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Hello all,

I spent marathon weekend at All Star Movies last weekend. Checked in solo on Wednesday, my wife came over on Friday. Got up at 2:30 to run the 5k on Thursday. Returned to the room after the race to shower and take a nap. During my nap I got a tap at the door. At first I ignored it but it happened again so I got out of bed and went to the door. Looking through the peep hole I saw a woman. I asked, “can I help you?” She said “room check”. I opened the door and she just walked in, walked into the bathroom and flushed the toilet and ran the faucet. She then walked out without saying anything. I asked her if this would happen everyday and she smiled and said “yes”. The next day, Friday, I got up early again and ran the 10k. I returned to the room to shower and left for home to pick up my bride. As I was leaving the room I decided to place my shoes close to the door so I would know that Disney was in my room. When we returned the shoes were pushed over by the door, so they were in my room again. On Saturday we both got up at 2:30, I to run the half and my bride to cheer me on. After the race we returned to the room and showered and hoped into bed for a nap. At this point it was very difficult to relax in bed since we were both expecting a knock at the door for the inspection. Sure enough about an hour into our nap someone was tapping on the door. My wife jumped up to answer the door in only her pajama shirt, she opened the door and the man standing there looked shocked, through up his arms and said “I’m sorry” and walked away. The last day, Sunday, we left for home after the marathon and a quick shower.

First, a question to the group. Does anyone have the official policy from Disney on this? I can not find it online. I’m finding that most people don’t know they do this and some people flat out tell me I’m wrong about this.

Second, my opinion on this policy. It sucks. Like I said above, we did not feel comfortable relaxing in the room we paid for. This policy is not explained at the time you book the room or when you check in. Disney should tell their “guests” that they have no privacy within their rooms. I have heard stories from people saying that if you don’t open the door they will open it and walk in. Even if you use the latch, they have a tool that can open it. One couple told me that they were there on their honeymoon and were having private time in the shower when they heard someone open the door, it was for the room inspection. They screamed at the man and he ran out. Crazy.

I understand that this started after the Vegas shooting so I emailed a buddy that works at The Wynn Resort and he said that they do room inspection on the guests third full day. Seems a little more reasonable. There should be a sign in the rooms explaining that even though the guest has the “Room Occupied” sign up and has opted out of house keeping (offer me a $30 gift card) there will be a mandatory room inspection every 24 hours. This way guests can at least put private items away and make sure there’s no money or jewelry laying around.

I know there will be a lot of opinions on this, both ways. What do you guys think? What are some of your experiences with this new policy?

Disney announced this policy over a year ago. Started with Magic Kingdom resorts. That's why the "Do Not Disturb" door signs have been replaced with "Room Occupied" signs. The new door sign has the policy written at the bottom.

https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads...emoved-from-resort-rooms.936711/#post-8004839

HiJe

Your room door has 2 locks on it. Use both of them if you don't want to be surprised at an inopportune time. Policy has been in place for over a year.

Will the double lock and "Room Occupied" sign keep them out completely or does it just delay their entry into your room? Give you a little time to put on your pants and such?

Ariel1986

Did you talk to the front desk to ask if the time they check could be changed- explain you were doing the marathons and up early so wanted to nap? If so and they still checked, that does suck. I feel like I’ve read about people asking for them to change the time before.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Will the double lock and "Room Occupied" sign keep them out completely or does it just delay their entry into your room? Give you a little time to put on your pants and such?

The "Room Occupied" sign is merely to let staff know someone is in the room. They will still enter if the sign is on the door, but will knock first. Security has a key that will unlock the deadbolt. The flip latch will allow them to open the door an inch - they will then ask loudly if anyone is in the room.

This is not a new policy. Which is probably why there are no memos/letters left in the room for guests any more. But the policy is written on the bottom of the "Room Occupied" door hanger.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don’t like the policy because as a hotel customer, you have a reasonable business expectation that you will be able to enjoy your room free of unwarranted interruptions.

That said, we do three seven-day stays a year, put the sign up when we are in and take it down when we are not, and we have never once been disturbed. On our visits in 2018 at CBR, SSR and POR, there was a letter placed prominently on the bed saying the room would be checked each day and giving a number to call if we needed to arrange a time.

As far as CMs barging in without knocking or using a tool to undo the safety latch, I’m pretty sure that’s a much bigger hypothetical problem on these blogs than an actual problem at Disney resorts.

Last edited:

wdwfan22

I understand the reasons for this policy, but you have a reasonable expectation of privacy in your hotel room. You should absolutely be informed of the room check policy ahead of time -- and ideally given some idea of the time of day the "inspections" are expected to occur (e.g., "daily between 12pm and 3pm," etc.)

Room checks occur during daytime hours during the same time period that housekeeping would be servicing rooms. The purpose of the room checks is for safety and security so they are not going to advise of the time they will be coming to the room. Safety Checks only occur if the Guests has chosen not to have housekeeping services.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Your room door has 2 locks on it. Use both of them if you don't want to be surprised at an inopportune time. Policy has been in place for over a year.

They are able to open both locks.
And if you like, you can always install a third lock...
https://www.amazon.com/Addalock-Portable-Travel-AirBNB-Lockdown/dp/B00186URTY

It's not enough to stop a well-placed kick, but it WILL keep a mousekeeper or security guy at bay while you get dressed and work yourself up into a tizzy...

LAKid53

Premium Member
They are able to open both locks.

This topic was beaten to death in the thread I posted the link above. It's not a new policy. Yes, there's a way to defeat the flip lock, but security would probably do that ONLY if there was a concern....and they get involved if mousekeeping can't enter at all. When it wasn't a day for housekeeping, the individual who knocked on my door wasn't Disney security, but another housekeeping CM. I've stayed a dozen times since the policy was implemented....most of which are runDisney events. Never had an issue or problem.

Remember, WDW is PRIVATE property and can access their property whenever. Which you agree to when you rent a hotel room from them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom